Looking for an accurate starter rifle....any ideas?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked to shoot, and now that I am 21 I wanted to started shooting with my own rifle. I wanted to see if any of you guys had any suggestions for a starter rifle? I was thinking a .22 rifle since it is cheap and the ammo is cheap as well. Any suggestions/websites?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answer me some Q's first. How much are you willing to spend? Do you know how to clean a firearm after use? What do you call accurate? Do you want to use a scope or not? You looking to go new or used? where will you be shooting?How much are you willing to spend?
***Are you familiar with the safe operation of firearms? Do you know the basic safety rules that if you follow religiously you will never have an accident?***

You're gonna pay out more for new than used. Usual standards are Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60. Accurate is a relative thing, one man's accurate is another man's atrocious. Some alternatives I have owned that were good starters, reasonably accurate are lever action Henry and all sorts of various bolt actions. Do not blow off the bolt actions, they will teach you the basics of safe handling and shooting, and some of them old pieces are real tack drivers. A scope, usually a 4x on a .22 will improve accuracy and teach you even more about the finer points of shooting. You will start to understand how much crap is portrayed on TV and movies.
Currently I have a Ruger model 22/45 .22 pistol w/ Simmons red dot. Each and every shot in the bullseye from a bench rest at 25yds. Also have a Marlin 39A .22 lever action w/ Simmons 3-9X scope. @ 50yds by benchrest groups are 3/4"-1 1/2". I find shooting .22's fun and relaxing, and it is the cheapest round to shoot. Buy bricks of 500 rounds and you'll shoot all day. .22's have a helluva lot bigger following than one would think. Surf and search my friend. Being that you live in the People's Republic of Calif. I don't know what your local/state regs are. Here in Fl. I'd say go to a local gun show and you'll be walking out with a very good semi/bolt action for $75-100.

Above all else learn the safety rules,

finger off the trigger until ready to fire,

be sure of the backstop,

always be aware of where the weapon is pointing,

treat it as if it's loaded-even if it isn't,
***there are more to learn***Check out the NRA site for all of them.***

DON'T LEAVE YOURSELF OPEN TO ACCIDENTS. Be safe as a courtesy to yourself and those around you.

http://www.rugerforum.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/rugerforum//Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=rec.guns

http://auctionarms.com/

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp

http://gunbroker.com/

PM me with gun q's anytime my friend. And eventually you can get the light mount made for .22 rifles and mod it to add on your favorites (Scorpion, 2AA's, etc.)
Hmm, guns, lights,gun WITH lights...
Gotta go, just wet my pants.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Ruger 10/22 also. Cost from about $150 and up, depending on model, new. There are hundreds of upgrades you can do to it. Match trigger, bull barrel, select fire sear, etc.
Have fun but do it safely.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
.22 for SURE!!!

My best one of 4 is a Marlin Bolt (not here in front of me but I think 82 is model) that I got at a now defunct K-Mart for $139.

With a 3-9x40 (yes, a big full size scope) it easily shoots 1/2" or less at 25yds. And I am not THAT good a shot!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "Best Buy" vote would have to go to the Ruger 10/22. The Marlin 39A, as mentioned by Webbley, as well as a new entry in the field by Thompson Center would be a fine choice, but about twice the price. If you don't plan to use a scope, my choice would be the Henry "Golden Boy". The review I read was that it was very accurate & looks like this: www.henryrepeating.com/ TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Listen to these guys. Great recommendations. I started with a bolt action Marlin .22 I'm not sure of the model, as it was stolen years ago. I didn't use a scope at that time either. Still, very accurate (relatively speaking) and simplistic. Just my recommendation based on my limited experiences.
edit: Ooh, a Henry. Never had the pleasure of firing one of those. Isn't that what Danny Glover used in Silverado? Or was that Morgan Freeman in Unforgiven? Or both? ... I forget...

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a regular black finish Henry and loved it. Small, light and easy to handle. With just a little practice you can get really fast with the lever. I loved the cheap blocky front sight on it. It was really easy to pick up (for me).One thing I always enphasis to beginneres is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. Two of the most fun pieces I owned was a $60 Remington bolt from a pawn shop. The whole idea is to exercise you 2nd amend rights and own one. It doesn't matter that you own the biggest and best (usually ='s most expensive) to be a good shot. It's up to the individual's choice and most good shooters cut their teeth on a beat up used starter. It's the person shooting not what you're shooting (for the most part). Of course quality speaks volumes, it's the same as with flashlights. Hell I've got guns I won't shoot 'cause I'm scared of getting them dirty.

BTW, the second piece, a 9mm High Point Carbine.Doesn't fit in the catagory we're speaking of, but was a hoot to shoot. Off hand all shots inside a paper plate at 25yds. And who am I kidding, I love shooting them all, except 12 guages, not really meant for target/recreational shooting, and beats up my skinny little girlie man frame.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're interested in shooting at all, you may as well get yourself the very best you can afford, even if you have to wait an extra month or two to save up (spend the time enjoying shopping and doing research). It's foolish to skimp on something that will last you a lifetime and give you immeasurable pleasure and possibly save your skin in the process. Whatever rifle you choose, and I would advise a top quality bolt action or lever action, also get yourself a scope or make sure you can at least get a Lyman or Weaver type peep sight. You'll be able to shoot much better with the peep or scope than with open sights. If you can also purchase some 22 CB long cartridges, you may be able to duplicate something significantly better than air-rifle-like performance with equal or less noise, something that may allow you to do basement or backyard practice depending on where you live. I would also highly recommend a 22 handgun with at least a 4 or 5 inch barrel, and would even suggest picking up a cheaper rifle such as the Ruger 10/22 if you can also snag an inexpensive quality 22 handgun in the bargain. You won't be sorry.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mexican ammo company, Aguilar, puts out a variety of .22ammo. I have used their Colibri powderless ammo. It is primer only. In a long barreled rifle it makes no sound, only the click of the firing pin releasing and striking. It will not cycle the action in a semi auto. In a handgun with 4-6" bbl. it sounds like an air rifle being shot. I bought a brick and shot it up in the garage using a piece of thick plywood as a backstop. I put 4 screws in a line and duct taped a phone book, set it on the screws like a shely and scotch taped targets to the phone book. After 300-400 rounds you'll have chewed out a hole haly way thru, if you keep hitting it in the same spot.
I also collect paper to use as targets to save money. I take home all the paper from work that I can that would normally get tossed out, flip it over to the blank side and either draw small circles the size of a quarter in either black or red and fill it in. I find it's all I need for shooting .22 out to 50yds.

If you're gonna go for the Ruger 10/22 do a search there are tons of 10/22 sights for enthusiasts and those who like to customize.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
webley445. I agree the Aguilar Co makes great ammo. They also have 1.5" mini-shotgun ammo thats a hoot to shoot.
If you have a printer, you can download targets free on the internet.

mikep

Enlightened
Originally posted by sunspot:
...There are hundreds of upgrades you can do to it.... select fire sear, etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey now- don't you have to be some sort of licensed manufacturer for the select fire goodies?!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you do not. You have to do a transfer tax. NFA Class III rules apply.
I was semi joking on that. I read in Small Arms Review about a guy making these. Later in the issue I saw an ad selling one. Select fire and an intregel suppressor for $12,000

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you. here we go with the "normal people shouldn't be able to own military weapons" bit.
Glad I have mine already. I just saw NBC news, they really dogged on the fact that it's "so accurrate" and "so deadly" and , get this, cheap and readily available". Have you priced one lately? I guess $700-800 bucks is cheap for Tom Brokawl (whatever his his). then they started up on being able to get long guns out of the newspaper by private sales. They are gonna have a field day with thisn now that we are safe abd don't have to worry about being shot. Yeah, blame the gun. It's a damn shame it had to be one of our own to do this. Feels like someone does something bad so they punish evreyone else. Time for the "feel goods" to come out.

WhiteAsSnow

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by webley445:
Time for the "feel goods" to come out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's exactly right. Logic and reason will again take a backseat to over-emotional reactive thinking.
bluesigh.gif

EDIT: Sorry, off-topic.