Draco Cree or Orb NS Cree ?

Secur1

Enlightened
Here is my new dillema :)

Both lights go for about the same price, both of them are small enough and bright enough to be the perfect keyring light.
Now i have been able to see 1 beam shot of the NS with Cree but nothing on the Draco.
So here is what i am looking for.
Numbers ! :p I want run times i want output and throw, something i can relate to the flashlightreviews numbers i got for the rest of my lights....
Beam shots would also be greatly appreciated :)
I know that both lights are relatively with the Cree XRE mods but any first hand opinions i could get, would help a lot instead of "guestimates"

Thanks in advance ppl.

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of Draco with Cree beamshots here.
For keychain use I find thickness (and to some degree weight) to be a big problem. I was using Exolion, which is similar size as NS, for a while on my keychain, but found it too be too thick so now the Exolion is off the keychain and is in the coin pocket instead. For keychain use I would go for Draco.

Sigbjoern

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? I didn't know you could get a Cree in the Draco...

Secur1

Enlightened
Yeah it's been added as an option to the original Draco thread, going for 155$

Secur1

Enlightened
Come on ppl i need some more input here.... i am itching to get myself a nice xmas gift so i am looking forward to ordering one of these 2 lights soon ! :p
Since i got a rough idea on the size (NS is a bit fatter than the Draco).
The most basic questions to be answered are
1) Output, which one is the brightest and longest throwing (logic dictates the NS with it's larger diameter reflector)
2) Runtime, with the luxeon leds both lights had about 10min on high/burst, but now with the Cree they both have about 30min which is much more respectable and usable. But do they both hold up for 30min ?

stevevh

Enlightened
I have owned both of these lights in the "non" cree format. Currently the Draco is on my keyring an outputs a LOT of light for its size. I can only imagine how much more the Cree version will put out. The Orb NS is also a great bright little light however it is a much larger form factor compared to the draco. If you want the smallest brightest light for its size go with the Draco. IMHO! If you dont mind the larger form factor go with the Orb. Both are great little lights.

Steve

LowTEC

Enlightened
Just pick the one that doesn't come with a big Tim Horton's donut :laughing:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also have had both lights and presently have a Draco on my keychain with Cree ordered. I believe that the Draco is definitely the best choice, due to size output and extremely high quality. I also have a Turbo Head and AAA body that I carry in my pocket.
105986910-S.jpg

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to confuse things, how about the Millermods arc AAA Cree mod?

Secur1

Enlightened
Good try Pumaman but that's too big to be my keychain light :)
Currently i am leaning towards the Draco, what's the run time and lumens output with the Cree ?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone figured out a good way around the lens o-ring squishing out issue? (b/c of the bezel ring twisting when trying to twist the head)

BVH

Flashaholic
This would be a very difficult choice if I didn't have the RAW Cree and have a Draco cree on order. The RAW (the NS too) is too large for my tastes on a keyring. Thats why the Draco will go on the ring and the RAW, in its plastic case now lives in my pocket. Gotta have a back-up, you know and of course, our motto!

stevevh

Enlightened
mcmc said:
Anyone figured out a good way around the lens o-ring squishing out issue? (b/c of the bezel ring twisting when trying to twist the head)

Yep, I had that problem too on my Draco. What was suggested to me is use loctite on the outer head and screw the bezel down just so its firm. Once the loctite dries it secures the head in place. Not the best solution in my opinion but it works.
I just got on the list for the new cree arc aaa. This might bump the Draco off my keyring as my do it all light. I have had 3 arc AAA in the past and you still cant beat them for sturdy reliable KISS use. The ONLY downsides were the output, and no 2 stage, and now that looks to be fixed!!

Steve

Secur1

Enlightened
Uhm just thought of this one, do i have to specify in my order that i want the lanyard body version ?