Threads wear faster with lube???

D-Dog

Enlightened
I saw recently on another thread that using lubricant on the threads of a flashlight can actually wear out the threads faster. Is this true? I am using Nyogel and I want to know if I should just lube the o-ring or both the threads and the o-ring.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless the lube is corrosive and dissolving the metal, aluminum does _not_ wear faster with lube. Without lube it tears itself up.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Well, if it lubes up your car engine a little twisting action certainly wont be a problem. I use the same :) although its 20-50 seeing thats what is on hand.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Lubrication is necessary for certian drilling and machining and helps it cut so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the lube helped grind away. But nygol will not produce any cuttign action asside from the aluminum. Th eproblem as I see it is that aluminum scrapings on the threads actually act as a cutting compound.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi,

I don't think the lubricant has any undesired on aluminium. Lubrication is required for certain machining operations as noted above because it helps prevent overheating and snagging. It also keeps all the swarf under control and helps to remove it from the working piece (to the best of my knowledge, I am no expert in the field of machining).

From my own experience, when I use silicone grease on bare alumunium threads, such as on the P1, the grease picks up aluminium powder that has been ground off the threads so it has a grey colour to it after a little while. I suppose it is possible that this suspended powder increases wear, but I would be surprised if it has noticeable any effect (certainly any more than dry threads!). I wipe mine down and relubricate the threads from time to time.

Andrew

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oil is used in machining operations because it helps the edge of the tool slide into the into the metal and spread the molecules apart (cutting.) It also cools partly due to that, and partly from the circulating or boiling fluid carrying the heat away. And as Andrew says, keeps chips from sticking to the cutters.

Since theads on a flashlight don't bite into each other, and are usually the same soft material, you want the lube to keep them sliding against each other and not _into_ each other. Aluminum has an interesting tendancy to gall and stick--tighten an unlubed tailcap hard enough and it can actually weld together.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I purchased a few MagLites last week. Per the maintenance tips, I applied a bit of vasoline on the threads and rubber rings. I am assuming that this is correct?

I pre-ordered a Fenix P1D CE and have an assortment of other aluminum lights that I should probably lube, so which would be the best choice (Vasoline of Nyogel)?

Thanks!

D-Dog

Enlightened
coppertrail said:
I purchased a few MagLites last week. Per the maintenance tips, I applied a bit of vasoline on the threads and rubber rings. I am assuming that this is correct?

I pre-ordered a Fenix P1D CE and have an assortment of other aluminum lights that I should probably lube, so which would be the best choice (Vasoline of Nyogel)?

Thanks!

Yep, Mag actually says to use vasaline. For the Fenix, I would go with Nyogel, b/c anything with petrolium might cause these special rings to expand. I have yet to hear of a case when Nyogel caused an o-ring to expand/break

coppertrail

Enlightened
Thank you, one last question, is Nyogel availible at local retailers, or is this a specialty machining lubricant. In other words, where can I get it :)

D-Dog

Enlightened
I bought mine from www.lighthound.com as he is a very reputable seller around here and has great prices and fast shipping.

FYI- I bought the 50g tube just because for like $4 more, you get 5x the amount :) Sounds like a good deal :grin2:

highorder

Enlightened
Nyogel is NOT a machining lubricant.

I have never seen threads wear faster when lubed. if anyone has experienced this, lube must be secondary to some other factor.

coppertrail

Enlightened
D-Dog said:
I bought mine from www.lighthound.com as he is a very reputable seller around here and has great prices and fast shipping.

FYI- I bought the 50g tube just because for like $4 more, you get 5x the amount :) Sounds like a good deal :grin2:
Again, thanks. Do I need both Nyogels? Based on what I read, 760 is for the threads of Aluminum lights, and 779ZC is for "the connection between the o-rings and the bezel and tailcap on the flashlights" What is this in newb terms? :)

D-Dog

Enlightened
I would buy the conductive 760 because if your flashlight relies on using the threads to transmit electricity (almost any twisty light), the light will still work and run at full brightness. The other gel might be more waterproof and a little thicker, however, all this is wasted if the light won't turn on. If in doubt, go with the 760 as it will work for anything :)

coppertrail

Enlightened
D-Dog - Thanks for all the info. So, get 760, and use it on the threads and rubber rings :)

D-Dog

Enlightened
coppertrail said:
D-Dog - Thanks for all the info. So, get 760, and use it on the threads and rubber rings :)
Yep, 760, yep, the threads and rings, and no problem, thats why this forum exists :)