Proplymer Confusion

Bearcat

Enlightened
Everyone seems to be sold on the Propolymer Luxeon and there is plenty of information on that particular light to help me decide. However, there is a lot less information on 7 LED Propolymer light and I would really like to know more about particular light.

Under "search" on very dated information some posters would say something like, "I really like my Propolymer, best light I have ever owned". Then the confusion sets in, which Propolymer they are referring is anyone's guess at this late date. Then I finally read Flashlight Review's comments on the 7 LED version and it was only rated "fair", but that was back in 2003. It seems that the LEDs are/were being overdriven.

Is there any current information on the Propolymer 7 LED version that I might have missed, because I really like the very long runtime it has, if it is bright enough and the problem has been fixed ?

fishx65

Enlightened
I've used the 3c 7LED. It's just a flood light with no real hotspot. I didn't have a use for it. I think when most refer to the Propoly they are talking about the 4AA luxeon model.

BVH

Flashaholic
Good timing! For sampling reasons, I just bought the 7-LED and the Luxeon versions last Friday that look identical except for the front end. Definitely, definitely, the 7-LED is far inferior to the 1 Luxeon version - in my humble opinion. The 7-LED version has a purple color much like the original Arc AAA and has a very, very dim flood effect - no spot what-so-ever. It's probably less bright than a Mag 2-D on flood mode. The 1 LED Luxeon version is very respectable. The one I got has the same color tint as my surfire L4. Of course it is not as bright but not really too far behind. It puts a stock Mag 3-D to shame in my humble opinion. It has a nice hotspot with a somewhat narrow corona. What's interesting is that the 7-LED version is rated at 67 lumens while the 1 Lux is rated somewhere in the mid 40's. Something sure seems amiss in the ratings. I heartily recommend the 1-Luxeon version.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Thanks, I saw those lumen numbers too and wondered about them. If the 7 LED Propolymer is at least twice as bright as my Lightwave 2000 or my Princeton Tec Attitude it would be alright for my needs with its very long runtime. However, the Propolymer Luxeon is looking good too. I am very surprised that I could not find any comparisons or beam shots comparing the two against each other on this site, because some of the members have taken just about every flashlight apart and have analyzed it with a microscope. Man there is some information to be had on this site!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Luxeon Propolymer, it doesn't matter if it's the 4AA or 3C (I prefer this one) they are all excellent flashlights. Just ignore the older models with the cluster of 5mm LEDs, these are outdated and not impressive.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Get the Luxeon Propolymer, it doesn't matter if it's the 4AA or 3C (I prefer this one) they are all excellent flashlights. Just ignore the older models with the cluster of 5mm LEDs, these are outdated and not impressive.

Thanks, I need another flashlight like I need another hole in my head, but I have this uncontrollable urge to order another one. Heck, then I am going to have start buying all over again when they start putting XR-E LEDs in them.

Newuser01

Enlightened
For pp 4AA 7 LED model is great for close up to sort of closeup work.

For Example: I have both units and when I'm working in a total darkness in the attic or utility closets.

With 7 LED Version I could light up the whole area where I would be working. Have that lit the whole day if needs be. I won't have to drag up the drop light and stuff where there are no outlets anywhere. It works great lighting up under the sink, and the bean is so so broad, you wont have to worry about having it pointed.

On my last camping trip, 7 led version lit up the area of where we were hanging out, sort of light a big area light. This unit puts out a lot of lights. Just not pointed - however.

Try doing that with a lux and see what happens.

Now don't get me wrong! Lux model is a GREAT Light !! But it is for a totally different use like most of us CPF'ers use them for.

So, What do I think? I like them both for what they are. Different lights and different uses. Just remember to keep what you'll be using the lights for and you will be happy with your purchase.

Bearcat said:
if it is bright enough and the problem has been fixed ?
I'm assuming that the problem you're talking about the burned out leds? If that is, I do not know about that. But the 7 LED model pp I have is about a year old. No burn out led's Yet!! Knock on wood. I would guess that they proly fixed it already.

So, I like both my PP lights. Have different uses. [If I should loose both my lights, I would have to buy both again. Since both serves me very well.]

One thing the 7 LED is not good for is wall-hunting, which CPF'ers seems to be obcessed with!:dedhorse:

Regards,
Noob

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newuser01 said:
If I should loose both my lights, I would have to buy both again. Since both serves me very well

I absolutely agree with exerything Newuser01 said. The 7LED version is a much better light to use indoors than is the Lux version. Anywhere throw isn't needed, I prefer to use the 7LED. It's plenty bright, I'd guess somewhere around 30 lumens, and lights up a large area with a broad, smooth beam. I've got three of them.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bearcat said:
...Is there any current information on the Propolymer 7 LED version that I might have missed, because I really like the very long runtime it has, if it is bright enough and the problem has been fixed ?

Streamlight has a very good reputation for warranty replacement, so if a LED did burn out they would probably replace the light or fix it. I love my 4AA Lux and I've heard that the 4AA LED [ Seven 5mm leds] is great also for wide area lighting.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
I have a Streamlight ProPolymer 7-LED flashlight and I like it. Like others said, it's great for indoors. I like to use mine for searching through closets, checking things in a completely dark room, and for using it whenever I need light up close. When working up close, the 7-LED will not blind you like the Luxeon one. Each light have its own purpose. The Luxeon is great for spotting things that are pretty far away and the 7-LED is great for close up applications such as reading a map, digging through the closet, resetting the circuit breaker in a dark environment, etc...

Both are excellent flashlights.

VWTim

Enlightened
We had a 3C 5mm LED PP at work a couple years ago. It was a great light, nice flood for working under hoods and battery life was great.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Thanks for all the help. I am going to order 3 Propolymer Luxeons, one for me and two for a friend of mine who wants one for himself and the other for a gift. I asked him if he wanted to wait to see mine first and he said no, because he knows how frugal I am and how much research I do before I send my money. Thanks again to this site for putting me onto Fox International where I can buy them for just $24.95 each.

Back to the Propolymer 7 LED, a member did point out that Streamlight has a excellent lifetime warranty and if any of the OVERDRIVEN LEDs (according to Flashlight Reviews 2003 review) burned out they would replace or fix it. That good news to me, because I really like the super long runtime it has. There are times that a flood beam with a supper long runtime is preferred over a narrow spot beam with a shorter runtime.

I have a Lightwave 3000 with 7 LEDs that has a flood beam and I am very happy with the amount of light it puts out, but it is way too large to carrying in my coat pocket. Does anyone know if the Propolymer 7 LED is similar to the Lightwave 3000 in light output and beam pattern? I assume that it is not regulated since it has a advertised runtime of 155 hours.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have multiples of both: 4AA7LED, and the 4AA Luxeon.

Both are fine lights.

I use the 7LED model for close to medium ranges, Very useful.

One of the above lights burned out two of the LEDs, another started strobeing. An E-mail to Streamlight brought me a new head/LED module, no other questions asked.

The Lux model rivals good 6 volt incandescents in throw, etc.

Just different lights.

lumenal

Enlightened
I have the 4AA Propoly Lux version of this wonderful flashlight. Besides all the great things that have been mentioned above, lets not forget the excellent regulation and the stellar performance using rechargeable cells.

I get almost 5 hours of ruler-flat regulation when using Energizer 2500 NiMH cells. When the light grows dim, I just pop the cells on the charger and then away I go, with guilt-free lumens.:D

The output of this Lux 1 light rivals many Lux III lights...

Bearcat

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for all the help and good advice. I just received my Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Lux today from Fox International and I am 100% satisfied with their super fast shipping and low price. All I can say is wow this light is super bright, nicely made and has a super long regulated runtime for being such a bright light. No wonder everyone saying nice things about this light and giving it a big thumb's up. I am so thankful that I found this site, because it members are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks once again.