Mouse LED dilema

Saaby

Flashaholic
Optical mice have LEDs...how cool is that? Well I've read about it before and now that I have messed with LEDs a bit I think I want to cram another color LED into my mouse. Here is the dilema--white, blue, or green? The mouse in question is a blue Logitech Corded Optical mouse. The top is a shiny blue and the sides are a dark translucent blue. Right now the LED is standard optical red...

Light-Headed

Enlightened
My vote is cast Saaby. I think that blue and green make a great color combination.
smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My Logitech Corded Optical USB Mouse (two buttons and a wheel) is Tan/Gray with dark smoked sides so I guess I can't vote.
grin.gif

doubleE

Newly Enlightened
I just looked into the LED of my optical mouse, so now I can't see!!!

I vote for white. Once the light is filtered by the translucent blue housing, you'll have a fresh blue glowing mousey.

-Matt

Saaby

Flashaholic
I just voted so I could see my own poll and...
shocked.gif
33% 3 way tie! (1% margin of error I guess)

Guess it's time to sit back and wait for more votes
wink.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I assume that if there is a red led, that there must be some sort of light receptors. Wonder if they're color sensitive?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color sensitive.... Don't know but I'm using one right now. I just shined my Ill Pill at the bottom of the mouse from 8 inches away and the cursor moved on the screen, so the're receptive to the bluish color of the LS....

Darell

Flashaholic
Are you just replacing the taillight LED or the one that shines on the surface? I've done the taillight but wasn't brave enough to do the one that actually does something!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Logitech model has exactly 1 light. We have a 3 way tie yet again I might add...

Monsters_Inc

Banned
The camera that detects the movement responds best to the red region of light - hence the LED on the mouse is red. It works with blue, some sites have write-ups of modded blue LEDs - have a search around. Nearly all claim some negative impact on sensitivity and utility (in terms of what you can have as a mousepad/base).

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well as the final and third eBay mouse arrived from eBay today (Yay!) I'm ready to do this. I use a blue mousepad at home, so (if I used a blue LED) that would have to go....but the mouse I'm modding will now be used 99% of the time at school on a white desk--no mousepad.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought it had a laser diode in it.
but looking at mine(cordless silver/blue with wheel)you can see the 5mm led through the side.
dont know the model as the label is worn off.
i think the white would be best as it has some red content the blue doesnt.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Snake...that's the exact model I just got today (But not the one I'm modding)

Anyway I was bored so I'm doing it as we speak. White wins...as soon as I can get the red out (Maybe some Visene?
wink.gif
)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Picture time!

01.gif

02.gif

03.gif

and a long exposure. This is slightly overexposed. You can actually see the circuts inside (better than before) it's very cool! Also, it has a "ground lighting" effect, like low rider cars and Craig's wheelchair...

04.gif

It won't really track on deeply textured wood anymore but everything else I tried (including a blue mousepad) worked fine. It's an awesome little job, I recommend you all try it! There are some tips and tricks to it, nothing too tough, but if you are going to do it (On this model mouse) let me know (Post here or eMail me) and I'll let you in on the secrets that I don't feel like typing right now...

Darell

Flashaholic
Well done! I've been meaning to replace the tail light on my Microsoft optical, but the one time that I tried snapping the cover off, I got it stuck in a weird state, and it took me quite a bit of effort to get it back on. Anybody have any tricks form my optical Intellimouse?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m surprised white works. My mouse (off brand opti) uses PWM to drive the LED and CCD, and give it immunity to outside light. The phosphors in a white diode would surely muck that up because they slow down the response time. Obviously not though- at least in that Logitech mouse.

Looks really good! I wish I could do the same but this thing of mine has red plastic base and sides, so I`m stuck with it for now! At least I have blue LED indicators in the computer case. They actually match the blue bits on the old IBM desktop case, much better than the yellowgreens it used to have.

grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well something I noticed but failed to mention is that (Because of the smoothing effect of the phosphor) the LED lights up the whole insides of the mouse now and in fact I was worried it wouldn't work at first because when you set the mouse down there's just kind of a flood of light around the bottom instead of an intense spot where the sensor is...

Also, I had taked to a guy that did this with blue well over a year ago. He said that his LED still got bright and dim when he moved the mouse, but this one doesn't anymore. It's that 1 brightness all the time...