Worth it to buy P1D-CE?

Hellbore

Enlightened
Well, I am a college student so I don't have a lot of money. I would like to have a nice bright flashlight and I guess it would be cool if it was one I could carry around all the time. I don't usually carry a flashlight every day, so maybe I should change that lol...

So anyway I'm wondering, is it worth shelling out $70 for a P1D-CE? Or do you think I should wait, since more Cree lights will be out soon on the market?

Or another question, I bought one of those Elly flashlights from China, would I be better off just modding a Cree into one of those?

aarong50

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one off Ebay. I work in law enforcement, and have carried a 4d maglite for years. I decided I wanted a keychain light so last week I went looking and found this place. I bought a LOP-SE and I was so impressed I ordered 2 more for co-workers as presents. I have since ordered a led upgrade for my mag and the P1D-CE... What I am saying is - fenix makes a great product and I am sure you will not be dissapointed. However, tread lightly as I can see this becoming expensive in the future.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not in a rush, wait for the 'perfect' light. If you want something right now, the P1D CE looks like the best bet for a pocket size light that screams lumens more than torches 5 times its size and has adjustable output so you can keep 'er running long as well at decent outputs, thanks to the Cree's efficiency.

Something that small should be carried everyday :D Besides, it's useful to EDC a flashlight!

If you are into modding, you can always try it out as long as you like your current host. But the getting the right focus might be a bit tricky so unless you are a somewhat intermediate modder, I would recommend buying an off-the-shelf solution.

The Voice of Reason

Newly Enlightened
I'd say go for it - otherwise you could wait forever.

There will always be something new just around the corner.

This is an outstandingly practical EDC for its size and output.

If you could only have one light... [you know how the saying goes]

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get it. It's the best flashlight for the money. You are going to hear and say the word "Wow!" lots.

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Well a P1D-CE is all nice and good, but as poor of a college student I am too, I would go for a AA light... they are generally cheaper and don't run off those CR123A batteries that I'd be afraid to use. I'm waiting for that day a Cree single AA EDC light comes along...
Or I'm just going to make my own with my Elly.

But if that cost up front and cost of CR123A batteries ($1 each plus shipping online) is worth it to you, then get it and blow things away with it...

Hellbore

Enlightened
Well, I guess from what I'm hearing, the Elly with a Cree XR-E should put out about half as many lumens as the Fenix P1D-CE does... But still be pretty bright and give about 2.5 hours runtime if you're lucky, off a AA battery... Well I don't know about you, but I can get AA batteries ANYWHERE... and cheap too, compared to anything else. I think for now I'm gonna mod an Elly, it will cost me like $15 total so that is another plus.

I already ordered an Elly and I just ordered a Cree XR-E (p2 or p3 bin not sure which) so I'll mod that and see how it compares in brightness to my Luxeon 1 watt Mini Mag.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as you financialy and that's why I'm waiting to see what happens in the near future with these new leds. I'd realy like something with the versatility of the current L1T/L2T head with interchangeable bodies for different batteries and of course way brighter with maybe three levels of adjustability.
I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about the new P1D-CE. Some say they don't like the beam quality because of rings, some say the threading is sub-par and the bezel is loose.
Nobody seems to deny that it's bright as heck and I haven't heard of anyone returning theirs yet. So I assume the overall package doesn't dissapoint.
Anyway, good luck with your decision. :)

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
Art Vandelay said:
Get it. It's the best flashlight for the money. You are going to hear and say the word "Wow!" lots.

It'd be worth buying, if it was hot-stamped "Fenix P1D CE".

There's something to be said for the brand-mark!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BUMS, imho!!!

Andy

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boomerang said:
It'd be worth buying, if it was hot-stamped "Fenix P1D CE".

There's something to be said for the brand-mark!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BUMS, imho!!!

Andy
It's sort of like having a Corvair engine in a VW Bug. Nobody suspects a thing until the light turns green. Wow!

h_nu

Enlightened
It's very impressive. I got one as a gift for my brother. I couldn't keep it and couldn't live with the idea my brother would have a more impressive flashlight than mine so I ordered another.

Mine isn't loose although my brother said his is a little. Actually, I thought mine a little tight and then I put one wrap of teflon tape on the threads. Now it's definitely tight but smooth.