Another use for a Streamlight TL3

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Just got back from vacation and got lots of use from some lights I took. Here is a picture taken where a light was used:

http://gadgetfreak1travel.blogspot.com/2006/12/nile-crocodile-in-zambia.html

We were in a Rover and night spotting for game in a national park in Zambia. The spotter spotted the good sized Nile crocodile on the river bed near us. We could see the bird but there wasnt enough light to photograph the bird since the spotlight didnt have much spill at that range. So I got out my TL3 to add to the light. There was a family of Australians we had been with at the camps for several days and got to know. The father took the TL3 and held it pointed at the bird so that his wife and I could photograph the scene.

I had the TL3, an A2-YG and an E1L with two stage cap and diffuser on the trip. The Australian man, who works a fair amount in the back country when he is home wrote down the names of all three lights. He and the guides and hosts in the camp had never seen lights like this before. We did beam comparisons off the end of the patio at the camp looking across the river between the TL3 and the 2 cell maglights they used in the camp. I should charge a commission to SL and SF, I think I sold some lights for them ;) One of the people in the camp said "we use maglites since they are the best lights". I said, "I need to show you a couple things" :) Flashlights are in constant use there at night since in some of the camps there is no electricity and there are lots of creatures of the night about. It is a flashlight fanatics heaven.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like great fun. Africa is one of the few true adventures remaining in the world. I have a TL-3 and I'll agree that it is a very impressive light.

Have you read the book _The Maneaters of Tsavo_? If they had had one good flashlight they could have saved a lot of lives.

Similar to your story, last night I was talking with my brother in law and we ended up outside comparing his 3D Mag with my Streamlight TL-2 LED and Pelican M6 LED. The batteries in his Mag weren't fresh and my 2 LED's really blew away the Mag, but of course they would have done that even with fresh batteries.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
bjn70, they made a movie out of part of that book, called "Ghost and the Darkness". Darkness is certainly the key here. Those Indians (from India) and natives never had a chance at night.

Bill

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the movie. It was a very big disappointment compared to the book.

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
Nice pic! Great story, too... I've not looked into the Streamlights yet (still finding my away around the "scene"), but it looks as though I'll definitely have to! :sold: