Dusting -- how to, what with?

Monsters_Inc

Banned
This is not exactly related to flashlights (hence it's in the cafe), I have a problem: dust.

My desk/bench/workspace/storage (ie. everything area) gets incredibly dusty. It has many small nick nacks: batteries of various sizes, paper, toothbrushes, keyrings etc. I was wondering if there was an easier way for me to dust the area. Currently I use a wet cloth and go thru' each item 1 by 1, or blow on it (to disturb the dust) and stick the vacuum hose above it. These are extremely crude, surely there's a better way! I'm worried about those electrostatic dusters - all this stuff are sitting next to my computer.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try an air cleaner.
We have one from Sharper Image and while it is very expensive it does seem to cut down on the dust and is completely silent (until it needs cleaning -- then it starts to make a rattling noise).

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Fun answer: Use a leaf blower, ala Caddyshack

Boring answer: Go to an automotive section of a walmart type store, and buy a 'microfiber cloth'. Nic Sand is one brand. They also sell these at camera places, but for more money. It's a synthetic fiber cloth with fibers so small that they suck up everything. One of the first uses was smudges and fingerprints off multi-coated camera lenses, also works on any hard surface. Just dampen a little and wipe stuff off. When dirty, you can hand wash the cloth in a clean container w/ laundry detergent or woolite and water. Don't throw in the laundry, or it'll just soak up the lint from the other clothes and pretty much end up being ruined.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by V8TOYOTATRK:
GJW, does that Ionic air purifier make the air smell cleaner? I once dropped some milk in my room and have never been able to get out the odor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">V8, I would suggest getting some "Oder Out" (I think that's the name) & useing it where you spilt the milk. It works very well. As far as Ionic air goes, the ionizer I had, when it was new, gave the air that "summer rain" smell. TX

Kirk

Enlightened
I use "Swiffer" cloths to de-dust the dash of my car and the wife uses them in the house. These things have some kind of "charge" that attracts dust. The are soft and dry so they won't damage things.
Kirk

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by V8TOYOTATRK:
GJW, does that Ionic air purifier make the air smell cleaner? I once dropped some milk in my room and have never been able to get out the odor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ours gives off an "ozoney" kind of smell (barely noticeable) but I'm not sure how it would handle an existing concentrated odor.
We have four dogs and my wife insists that it does reduce their pet odor but I'm not so sure.
We keep the dogs pretty clean and I didn't think we had much of a pet odor issue before we got it so its hard to attribute it to the cleaner.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Errr, I'm not sure if my wife agrees, but it sounds like the way to go...
tongue.gif
grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
GJW, would you consider giving a review of the Sharper Image air filter? Also tell us which model it is as I believe they sell a couple different ionic air filters. My parent's smoke like a fiend and I had wondered how they would do with cigarette smoke. I would get them a conventional air filter but my father does not like the noise they make.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been a smoker for 37 years, I can tell you no filter will take care of the smell. Anything you get will quickly become covered with smoke residue & stop working. There's only 1 "fix" for that problem. TX

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I got an air purifier - it's been sitting under my desk for years. I think the model's obsolete now cos I can't find the replacement filters for them. Remington RAP200 (240V). I can't attest to the "summer rain" smell, as I can't smell anything - maybe it's just my insensitive nose.

Anyway, that swifter's work by electrostatic attraction - which is something I want to avoid, as I'll be using it to clean up inside my computer case as well. The 'microfiber cloth' sounds like a goer though.
smile.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by Onyx:
I got an air purifier - it's been sitting under my desk for years. I think the model's obsolete now cos I can't find the replacement filters for them. Remington RAP200 (240V). I can't attest to the "summer rain" smell, as I can't smell anything - maybe it's just my insensitive nose.

Anyway, that swifter's work by electrostatic attraction - which is something I want to avoid, as I'll be using it to clean up inside my computer case as well. The 'microfiber cloth' sounds like a goer though.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They work great, but it's polyester/polyamide, so it could be dangerous for static, too, if dry. I'd slightly dampen with some plain water, or maybe a little bit of detergent and water first. That's what I use on my radio gear.