Tought choice.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Well my mom want's to get me a new light for christmas. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to the surefire G2, wolf-eyes explorer, or a wolf-eyes raider. The light will be used for camping and other similar activities. We go camping out in the everglades where theres absolutly no light. We usually go on night hikes down some trails and I would like something thats going to pretty bright. ( I like to keep a lookout for gators). I already have maglights and other led's that I bring, so runtime is not really a concern. Thanks in advance for all the help.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Well... I do a lot of night walks but not in gator infested areas :)

I find I like a long throw light for "spotting" and it looks like you may be after the same. The G2 is a great light but not really suited to spotting - it is more of a general purpose light. I carry one as back up for my main trail-following light an A2.

For spotting I perfer either a SF M3T ( very costly ) or a SL TL-3 ( great bang for the buck ). From your list either of the Wolf-eyes would be a better choice than the G2. My only concern ( not having any experience with Wolf-eyes but tons with SF ) is relability. Yes- very little can go wrong with a simple direct drive incan but when you are up to you knees in gators - that is not the time for anything to go wrong. Wolf-eyes get a lot of good press around here so a search will give you a sense for them but for me SF ( leaving the U2 out ) is the benchmark for relability.

If you look around you could probably find a TL-3 and Lion setup for a resaonble price - that would be the way I would choose. Even without a Lion setup the TL-3 is not that bad on batteries - if you keep it to its intended purpose, short runs of spotting, not constant on.

Good luck and many safe walks.

GreySave

Enlightened
I currently use a Wolf Eyes Raider as my around the house workhorse. Great throw with a very decent sized area illuminated at a distance, very useable side spill, and the ability to switch from rechargeables directly to primaries without worrying about changing lamps. Very good lamp life so far in mine. The glass lens in the 9D "turbohead" is vulnerable to breaking if dropped and it is a hefty light weight wise, but an excellent performer if you are comfortable with those two issues.

g36pilot

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes Raider w/the LED tail cap gets my vote. The incandescent has more than adequate throw with good spill. When that's too much (it will be for most low light in-camp use) the LED tail cap is good for 40hrs and great for indoor/close work.

I've found the Led tail cap adequate for low light walking purposes on familiar terrain.

The ability to use recharge-ables is also handy. Mine are powered by Protected 18500's w/CR123's transported in a spares carrier. For remote camping I'd leave the recharge-ables at home.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
g36pilot said:
For remote camping I'd leave the recharge-ables at home.

Great point, thats why im leaning toward the raider. You can switch back and forth between the rechargeable li-ions and the CR 123A's primaries without having to change the lamps. Depending on how much money I get I might get the surefire G2 also. (I guess im officially a flashaholic now).:grin2:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing: Welcome! If your not a flashaholic yet you probably will be soon! LOL!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the led tailcap raider and its well worth the money. it may be on special at pacific tactical solutions.(get the discount)