surefire from TV show 24 is on ebay

TOB9595

Enlightened
I didn't know that the studios are now using ebay. I do know that the USPS has zillions of items they peddle.
surefire auction is "24" SURE FIRE FLASH LIGHT Item # 1573762546. I wonder how they modded this light if at all for the show.
Pretty low price right now.

Saaby

Flashaholic
He he he...I'm not going for it. It's for TV fans, not flashlight fans (I guess)--and the corner of the box is dinged!!

TOB9595

Enlightened
within minutes of the post too. I hope we get a full report if the m4 ? was modded in some way for the cameras. lowered light output etc.

DonL

Enlightened
This flashlight was created for use by Jack Bauer during the scenes in the underground detention facility on the televsion show 24.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah, those impressionable Hollywood hangers-on and the media hype they're assaulted with.

Yeah, it was "created" for Jack and the hundreds or so before and since were all commemorative copies...
rolleyes.gif

They make it sound like it's some über-special one-off. Hooray for Hollyweird...

... and it seems like Mr. rickbilyeu really has the hots for it.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Can you believe the price of this. $405 last I looked. Bye the bye. Is it an M4? what is it if not

Light-Headed

Enlightened
It's just my personal opinion, but I have a hard time bidding on auctions that have a new eBayer with a zero feedback rating placing 300 bids on an item in $1 intervals (I'm exagerating a little....but probably not by much). It just looks a little strange to me. But....I've been wrong before.......once.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not defending the guy, but if you put in a higher bid, the computer will automaticly ups your bid by the min amount over the last bid. What I don't understand is the last 8 bid's being the same amount. That could only happen if he kept bidding against himself. Who knows?
icon3.gif
TX

Light-Headed

Enlightened
It's sometimes hard to figure out TX but let me see if I can help. The guy went in on the 27th and put in a high bid at 2:30 a.m. which made him the highest bidder at the time. Over the course of that same day, and probably the more he thought about it, he went back in and entered several more bids higher than his high bid to make sure that he would win this thing.

The winning bid amount didn't increase, because he was essentially just increasing his high proxy bid a little at a time (don't ask me why).

Since nobody out bid his original high bid that he placed at 2:30 a.m., eBay just publishes the highest bid amount that you made that was needed to win the auction. eBay will not publish the actual amount that you bid each time over and above the amount needed to win.

I hope that makes sense. It did in my head.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sorta figured that out. I guess what threw me was the fact that he placed 7 bids in 11 minutes, and he was the only one bidding.
icon3.gif
TX

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd!

But I think I know why. That auction suffered from an Ebay Troll, aka some jerk who signs up with false details and proceeds to play havoc on "important" auctions, of course with no intention of actually ever buying anything. Look below all the bids on the history page, there is a cancelled bid from a newbie for $8000. 8 grand for a torch? Even if it had been used by Jack Bauer in the new series, you`d have to be a pretty hardcore 24 fan to pay even near that much
shocked.gif
Got to be false!

What probably happened was the guy who won it got outbidded and then tried to win the high bid back before that false bid was cancelled- hence the string of hgh bids. He doesn`t seem to be a very efficient Ebay user though, being one of those who prefer to place small incremental bids to try and *just* win, avoiding having to pay too much. Of course the downside to that is you get outbidded again really easilly!

eBay will not publish the actual amount that you bid each time over and above the amount needed to win.

I`ve never understood why they do this. What does it matter if everyone knows how much someone was willing to pay for something? If anything it would be good for sellers of obscure stuff, as they would better know how strong the market is, and could make them more money!

confused.gif
tongue.gif

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Chris M., I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation of the odd bidding behavior in this auction. Except for one tiny fact. This idiot newbie didn't bid a measly $8,000 for this light. He bid $9,000 for it before canceling his bid.
grin.gif

And, that's why I hate bidding on auctions with all these people with zero feedback bidding on them. You can't tell if it's not just the person holding the auction with seperate eBay I.D.'s trying to increase the bids he's getting on it before going in and canceling his own bid.