Philosophical Musings Ch. 3: Modding

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of you may remember Ginseng's previous two "Philosophical Musings" threads:

Philosophical Musings Ch.1: Throw

Philosophical Musings Ch.2: Output

And some of you may have missed them, but either way, I am continuing on in the philosophical musings tradition, with Ginseng's permission of course.

Today's topic: modding!

Why do we mod? What do we mod? How do we mod? What keeps us modding? What's the life of a modder like? Feel free to talk about anything modding related in this thread—everything except specific mods themselves, I think. I intend the topic of this thread to be about MODDING—the process and things related to the process and not so much the products. But, of course, the products will enter into the discussion somewhat. I think my meaning is clear, even though I'm not expressing myself well.

So, to get things rolling, I'll talk about my own relation to modding, my own modders life, as it were. The funny thing is that when I started on CPF I totally avoided the homemade and modified lights forum and actually never imagined that would change! I spent most of my time at the Arc forum, and was into high quality, finished, production lights like Arcs and SureFires. The idea of taking a light like that and tearing it apart was foreign to me. Not even to learn about it. I was definitely into regular care and maintenance, of course.

And, on the other side of things, taking an inexpensive host, like a mag lite, and modding it, also never appealed to me. It struck me as cobbed together, and less than high quality. I was fine with others doing this, and I appreciated that you could get a lot for a little, and that the whole process could be fun and rewarding, but it just wasn't my thing.

So, what happened? I went from spending almost no time in the mods forum to spending A LOT of time there.

I guess what happened at the very beginning was that I took apart my 2D mag lite that I'd been given for Christmas the previous year, and decided that the switch core pedestal assembly was crying out for a replacement. So I decided to try to tackle that: if we could have a drop-in assembly that would have a high quality switch and a bi-pin socket to accept WA lamps, and a pedestal sized to fit right up the bore of a stock Carley RF1940, then the mag mod would become, in my eyes, something much more high quality, something much more reliable. So, I started my Mag drop in switch assy for WA lamps & Carley 1940 thread.

But that was not what really catapulted me into modding. What did that was the TigerLight Upgrades project. I kept seeing a bunch of lights, including the Tigerlight, put up against the MagCharger with Welch Allyn 1160 lamp installed, and I kept thinking "Dang! That's hardly fair. I mean, one of them is using a non-stock lamp. Two can play at that game!" And thus the TL upgrades were born. I had been waiting for Ginseng to do these for us all, but he was busy with other projects, and I had a burning desire to hotrod the TigerLight to compete with the MagCharger.

It was a very magical and rewarding time for me here on CPF. I remember those days as the golden days of my time here (so far). Ginseng was working in parallel on MC mods, and the synergy and exchange of energy and ideas and excitement was amazing. And there were so many supportive and excited onlookers and collaborators involved, too! People would pop into my thread and tell me how to mod the circuit in the TigerLight charger, or to suggest a source for this or that, or to offer advice and support. Quite honestly, it was one of the best experiences of my life. We brought the TigerLight mods from conception to reality and had so much fun doing it.

And interestingly enough, most of the "mods" I made were all not really mods at all, in the sense that I made no modifications to the stock light, (except for the charger circuit mod for the Tiger85). No. Most of the TL upgrades were simply drop-in items. A drop-in higher current battery pack. A drop-in reflector, with drop-in ring potted lamps. So, I sort of still kept to my basic preference when it came to modding!

The smell of Kester rosin core solder will always remind me of those modding days, back when I taught myself how to end-to-end solder battery packs, and back when my idea for ring-potting lamps became a reality. Good days.

Scary days, too! I remember the first time I sat down and added up all the money I had spent on the TL mods project thus far. I felt a little light headed and sick to my stomach. It was well over $1,000! It all added up so fast! And I still hadn't made a dime from any of it. And the response I got when I opened the B/S/T thread was also scary—gratifying and wonderful as well—but definitely scary.

Even so, part of the reward of modding for me was having all the stuff, seeing all the stuff. It was almost religious! To hold a box full of 60 Welch Allyn 01111-u lamps, some $400 worth almost—60 perfect, potent, rare, and wonderful little bits of glass and metal. Now THAT was cool. Same goes for reflectors and batteries.

Then, of course, there was the appreciation and gratitude of the people who bought my stuff. That was the true return on my investment of time and money. Gratitude. Getting a rave email or PM always made my day!

Not every day was like that, though! I remember the first few battery packs I made. It was very stressful! On one of them, the copper braid I was about to finish soldering to its second battery stack slipped away and shorted out a battery stack. It welded itself to the negative contact of the pack. I FREAKED OUT. I was yelling and screaming and cussing as I grabbed the wire, burned myself, knocked over the pack. God. It was STRESSFUL to say the least. I remember sending Ginseng an email saying that if the rest of the packs were this much trouble to make that I wasn't going to make it.

Other downsides included the slight undercurrent of guilt at doing anything other than modding with my free time when I had people's money. Even though downtime and rest and relaxation are obviously a necessity, I still felt a duty to be working as hard as possible to get stuff out to people. That definitely weighed on me when it came to the M6-R project.

I had actually not planned on doing the M6-R project. I remember the day quite clearly: I saw an M6 for sale for $275 on B/S/T, and it all sort of hit me on the head. So I PM'd the seller asking him to measure the battery holder, did some calculations, did some thinking, and bought the light from him. I couldn't help myself. The idea grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. I had to at least try to make a drop-in rechargeable pack for the M6. As things progressed and I became more and more sure that one way or another I was going to make it happen, I let brightnorm in on the project, under strict pains of secrecy. It was another two or three months before I made the first M6-R pack, as BN can tell you.

Now THAT was also a high point in my modding career. The day I finished my first M6-R pack, dropped it in, and it worked. I was delerious with joy. Then, after that first discharge, it stopped working. LOL! Then I was a bit less "up". But I went to sleep knowing I would figure out what had happened and fix it. And an hour or two later I realized what had happened while lying in bed.

My work attracted the attention of Michael Teig at TigerLight and I was a de facto consultant for TL long before I was paid for doing it. My work with TigerLight resulted in the Gen 4 LA, the premium pack, and the new fast charger (yet to be released). It was an honor and a priviledge to work for them. I still work for them from time to time, but not like I used to.

So much has come from my modding carrer. But what I value most are all the contacts I have made, the community I have become a part of. All thanks to CPF. All thanks to modding.

Thank you to CPF and to all who make it possible!

I hope that other modders will share their stories or experiences or whatever!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I get the tinkering "itch" from watching my dad take apart and repair anything and everything that attempted to defy his SAK. Because of him, you could almost say I've always liked to build (or deconstruct) things. Sometimes to repair them, but mostly just to try to figure out what's inside. I guess that's what forced me to disassemble my dad's entire collection of classical music (in cassettes back when). :whoopin:

Fast forward many years and I found myself in a job which required the use of lights every night. Visitors always had fancy lights, but the guys with headlamps (which they built themselves) always grabbed my attention. I entertained the idea of building myself one of those lights, but the lack of parts and knowledge prevented me from completing the project, at least to a level with which I would've been happy with the results.

I found The LED Museum, while researching how to build a LED light with some Scouts (see, me again, trying to build things). While reading Craig's site I clicked on a link to CPF, signed up, and the rest is history, so to speak. I was fortunate enough to join when lots of modding was still being done. I was definitely an incan guy back when, so most of my reading was to learn how to mod Maglites. That never quite panned out because the Arc LS crossed my sight and I was an instant LED convert. I could not believe lights so small could be so bright; I had to try that myself (since I couldn't fathom the thought of spending $100 for a light!) Reading among the LED mods I was blown away by Larry's (tvodrd) work, and I remember drooling over his NLS thread (somehow I found that before I ever found about the CR2-II). It was obvious I would never be able to machine my own lights and stuff, but I thought less complicated projects would be feasible.

I started low on the mod totem pole, simply swapping the bulb on a minimag with a red 3mm LED (didn't have drill bits to enlarge the reflector), then a 5mm red LED, then amber, then green (not to hot...). I decided if one light was to be improved, it was my very first minimag. I not only felt that was a fair homage to the first good light I remember owning, but there was no way I was paying more than $15 for a mod host - ever! Funny how things change... :crazy:

Sammies became my next obsession, but the lack of tools and skills was frustrating. I remember posting several times, asking whether I was the only clutz in the house, or if modders just posted their good stuff (the latter is true although nobody will openly admit it). Once I made my first sammie (after smoking 2-3 boards) I decided to tackle a "real build".

I had been eyeing posts by darkzero and koala, who were actively posting how-to instructions to mod a CMG Infinity light into Lux (the LuxI, koala called it). Having mastered the sammie building technique (or so I thought), the LuxI mod would be a piece of cake... yeah, right! I decided my first LuxI mod was to be a very special gift for my brother. I debated whether I should spend $100 for an Arc LS, or build him a light myself. The $100 was outreageous, and the modding challenge too much to resist. Needless to say, my building skills were subpar and I smoked many-a parts. :green:

To make a long story short, I could've saved money buying my brother *and* myself new Arc LS's, but I persevered and built him a Lux light (which he still proudly uses). The good thing is, the knowledge I gathered from that build has fueled a lot of other ideas I'm still pursuing, and has allowed me to help others with their projects which is what I think is one of the nice things about CPF's hard core modding community - we help each other out. That and I acquired some basic tools, which are nice to have.

My next big step was to offer mod services to people. I've never believed I'm in this hobby to make money (it wouldn't be a *hobby*), so everything I did was for free. The most popular mod request was to replace the LED in the original ArcAAA with the latest Nichia LED. I lost count of how many of those I did, but eventually one of the pills died on me after potting the head! :( I was devastated and stopped actively modding for people. When I burn one of my own lights, I laugh and chuck the mishap to the learning curve, but when it's somebody else's light... :awman: the feeling is horrible, and I decided I couldn't do that anymore. Despite that, I continued to accept a few mod requests, but I had a couple more Arc's die and I couldn't do it anymore. (One of those is Milkyspits, BTW, who is still patiently waiting and wondering when I'll re-build his ArcAAA pill and return his light.)

Since then, I've done very little "hands-on" modding. Instead I've stuck with more benign projects (glow stuff), some simple LED replacements here and there, and brain storming with people about modding projects (the threaded Arc LS heatsink project is one of those). With the advent of the XR-E, I feel my interest in modding and building as been refueled, but I don't have much free time anymore to really work on a build. I have a long list of projects I want to get done, a pile of parts ($$$) ready, and no time to work on them. :p I'm not entirely discouraged, though, because I'm constantly looking for solutions that will help me complete those mods, and I know I'll get them done. First I need to finish rebuilding Milky's ArcAAA, for the nth time, though...

Last edited:

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:
Today's topic: modding!

Why do we mod?

Well Jim, you really didn't seem to limit this to flashlights.
Like you, I think I have multiple motivations but among them is the satisfaction and ulitity [!!] of creating something I cannot buy. Years ago, you very kindly sent me a gift that was not even flashlight related. I of course modified it to better serve my needs. The result, IMHO, is better than commercial products serving the same function costing $500-$700. As soon as I post this, I am headed outside to use the very unit you sent me to do up some Columbian for a Christmas gift for the sister of a friend. Cheers and thanks again.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Some Columbian, huh? I'm hoping that would be of the dark brown variety and involve beans, not anything else!:)

Bill
Bill, Jim and I have to speak in code here lest we attract the attention of any grumpy moderators.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S said:
Bill, Jim and I have to speak in code here lest we attract the attention of any grumpy moderators.

LOL! OMG! I had forgotten about Emp*uuuhhhffppg . . . and his vendetta against Home roa*ummmmhpppggffff-ing. *cough*

Yeah, but that was the CAFE, and this is the homemade and MODIFIED lights forum, and we ARE talking about MODDING, so maybe we're OK?

Better safe than sorry, though. Anyhow, Doug S, great to know you are making good use of that particular appliance and producing really good product with it! Nothing like fresh Comlumbian (or Sumatran) product comsumed within 2 or 3 days of production. Ah!!!! Yes!!!! I am a true addict and afficiando all in one. I live for the stuff. Best part of my morning.

Doug S, maybe you could speak about the Li14430 project?

greenLED, loved your post! Good stuff.

bwaites, what? Nothing about modding? HELLO?!? What's wrong with you? Make a post about your life as a modder, already, mister!

greenLED

Flashaholic
js said:

greenLED, loved your post! Good stuff.
DougS, I'd love to hear more about that, please!

js, thank you. Sometimes it seems like I smoke/crash/burn/break more of my own lights and scratch builds than I ever complete (or that's what my wife tells me), but it's all part of having fun and tinkering with stuff. Modding is by far what I like most about his hobby.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:

I've nothing to say. We built'em just like we design'em. No modding involved. Only that McGizmo guy modded one of the ones we gave him.

Greenled: you've got all the relevant links to this old, long ago project. I know because I remember hunting them down at your request.

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
js,

I will, I'm trying to condense it to something less than 30 pages and avoid all the bad words that have become part of my vocabulary thanks to the USL battery issues!:)

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S,

I didn't mean to limit the thread to ONLY modifying! I meant to include "home-made" as well!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Doug S said:
I've nothing to say. We built'em just like we design'em. No modding involved. Only that McGizmo guy modded one of the ones we gave him.

Greenled: you've got all the relevant links to this old, long ago project. I know because I remember hunting them down at your request.
He did not! He should be :banned:

Yes, you did, thank you very much! And they are (drumroll):

The Li14430 project (DougS): (June 2004)
Dec 2003: Li-ion short circuit current Holy sh*t !!
Jun 2004: The Li14430: Lot's O'Lumens; Under 1 inch cubed!
Jun 2004: The Li14430 Project History/Timelime
Jun 2004: The Li14430 project: Li-ion cell safety testing
Jun 2004: The Li14430 light: the electrogeek aspects

I was actually wondering if you could give us the skinny of what was going through your mind and how the project took shape, etc. The hindsight kinda thing. :)

Since you mention it, I know they're not the same, but I kinda think of modding going hand in hand with building.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
I was actually wondering if you could give us the skinny of what was going through your mind and how the project took shape, etc. The hindsight kinda thing. :)

Since you mention it, I know they're not the same, but I kinda think of modding going hand in hand with building.

My thoughts exactly!

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:

I've gotten to the stage in my life that remembering what I did last week is enough of a challenge. What I remember of the Li14430 project was that I had fun, I got to work with a couple of great guys, whoever they were, and it took longer than I think any of us had imagined at the onset! Oh yeah, the only remaining Li14430 light that I retained was lost last year but much to my pleasant surprise it was found and returned to me about 6 months later. One other thing, I used it just today to peer into that appliance that Jim sent to me some years ago.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What of anger, please?

Is this anything useful? Frustration can be useful but it's weak, I think, compared to anger.

You need a thing that isn't available. So you read and research and talk to members and study and figure and then it all comes together. Except there is a one mm thick section of an aluminum component that is a stumbling block to the whole deal. You don't have a lathe but that won't stop you. You are too close to success. By golly, if you have to gnaw it away with your teeth you're going to get rid of that silly millimeter of aluminum. Somehow you defeat it.

Then, the reflector fits, the switch fits, the batteries fit and the tailcap fits. The torch performs better than you expected. Darn nice light. Well that's good and enjoyable but isn't the feeling that you won the fight important?

Icebreak vs 1 mm Al. Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! *queue up Queen's "We are the Champions"*

Sorry, guys. I lost it there for a moment. I'm not really a modder. I'm more of a gnasher.

Does anyone remember how to calculate cubic centimeters of host to lumen output ratio? I would like to know how the Rocket fairs. Dang, if Doug S. was still around he'd know the cc:lu on this torch. Alas, I think we wore him out long ago with stories of throwing our flashlights all around the village.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:wave: Doug!

Good to see you back! I still have an unbuilt 14430 kit with the bottom dregs of the parts. :D I think I lost both of my parents during that proj and you went thorogh some changes too. Life and we go on somehow! I'm trying to help JSB produce the CR2 light with a Cree, and have three working US gov't surplus tank searchlights advertised as capable of causing "temporary flash blindness" at over a mile. :D My home shop is tooled-up pretty well, and I'm looking forward to retiring to a "Free state" at 63 in five years.

Larry

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
:wave: Doug!
Good to see you back!
Larry
Somehow your nick and name seem vaguely familiar? Anyway, I may not stick around. I see that you still have your red shoes. Mine seem to have been taken away. I'm pissed, dammit!

tvodrd said:
I still have an unbuilt 14430 kit with the bottom dregs of the parts. :D Larry

Better turn off your PM :whistle: BTW, remember that I had built up three additional extra boards for those lights that I offered to you guys but nobody wanted them. I finally swapped one to some other CPF member for a bunch of junk ARC parts. It ultimately resulted in more work for you IIRC. Anyway, I ran across the other two a couple weeks ago. Just as pretty as the day(s!) I built'em. Anyway, proceeded to canniblized one for parts I needed for something else I was working on at the moment.

tvodrd said:
I'm trying to help JSB produce the CR2 light with a Cree, and have three working US gov't surplus tank searchlights
Larry
Well Larry, I was looking at some new possible small light components and ran across something that had your name all over it should you ever decide to quit working on *big* lights like the CR2 and larger.
I'll email you if I remember.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Icebreak said:
What of anger, please?
Anger? :mad: Oh, yeah!! :mad: It's what settles in when you finish an assembly after hours (maybe days) of work, only to smoke it because you forgot to isolate the (+) and it shorts the first time you turn the light on... :rant: :rant: :rant:

...not that it's ever hapenned to me, of course. :lolsign:

Speaking of anger, something that Doug S has mentioned implicitly is sharing. Although I've found "modders" willing to charge me for the most inconsequential parts (or overcharge for necessary ones) and services, or not willing to share their "secrets" (like I'm going to steal their business!!), the vast majority of modders I've dealt with on CPF are a sharing crowd and give away their knowledge and some times parts/time/work willingly and not expecting anything in return.

I risk forgetting people who have helped me along the way (in more than one way, so apologies if I don't mention you here), but tvodrd, koala, darkzero, dat2zip, milkyspit, chimo, mosport, nekomane, AuroraLite, and jtice come to mind first.

Sharing and keeping this obession close to what a hobby might be :crazy: is what started the Free Modding Services thread (for which Larry gets full blame for). :nana:

Glen C

Enlightened
JS, you and the other modders here stand as an inspiration to all who enter here. I was unaware of this forum and the lengths one can go to, seeing the work of so many different people here is very inspiring. It is a little like realising someone can run a 4 minute mile, you think well I should at least be able to manage a 5 minute mile. :)

One of the most inspiring moments for me was when I read a conversation last week (which I think was a year old) between yourself and Ginseng talking about direct drive. There was a comment something like "yes, there is nothing like just the juice, the heat and a big bit of copper in between". Here was two electronic gurus talking about the most basic of electrical connections with enthusiasm, then it hit me, these guys are doing this because they love it. Very inspiring.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glen C,

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Yep. We do it because we love it. I remember that there was one particular day when a lot of stuff had gone wrong, and I was unhappy and grumpy, and then the UPS guy delivered the surface mount inductors for the proto-type fast charger I was building for TigerLight (by hand--God, I hope I don't ever have to solder surface mount components by hand again. It sucks), and I took those babies out of the packages and I felt a calm and a satisfaction. Like, aaaahhhhh, look at those inductors. Look how small they are, and they can still take 1.6 amps. And so on, and so on. I can and do get excited about almost anything related to my flashlight hobby! Even something like wire. I just love silicon rubber jacketed fine strand count RC wire. Still pleases me everytime, even after using something like 400 feet of the stuff.

Same with battery packs. I've made like 200 of them in my day, but every time I finish one and hold that heavy hunk of a lights fuel source in my hands, I'm like "YEAH BABY! AWESOME!". I built a friggin 12 cell, 4 by 3, FULL SIZE A monster battery pack for Bill Waite's Mule proto-type. That was the biggest pack I ever made. That was cool. Very cool.

It's definitely for the love of it. So many good moments. I remember talking with Ginseng on the phone about his Project Fury light and we were talking about using the Stinger as a mod host, and we weren't all that happy with that possibility, and he says "Yeah. Plus, it's a little crazy to use a $100 light as a host anyway"

And I'm like, "Yeah, well, it's not like we're using a $300 SF M6 as the host. Now THAT would be crazy"

And he says "Oh, yeah, insane. Who would do THAT?"

Of course, I was the one doing THAT particular bit of insanity. LOL!