Pyromaniacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyyys1

Enlightened
I was curious how many flashaholics here are also pyromaniacs.:devil: I most definitely am. I have loved fire for much longer than I've loved flashlights. My parents say that when I was a little kid I would stare at the candles in our church for the entire service. Perhaps my love of flashlights is partly an adapted love for fire. Do you find that the two are that closely tied together in yourselves?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
...lit the house on fire when I was 12, but I was fortunate. Only one wall damaged. Some sanding, some plaster and paint and I was no longer grounded! :)

FWIW, I no longer play with fire... except when soldering at work and I get a little "liberal" with the torch. ;)

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I play with fire and still wet the bed at the age of 31, but i am indeed not a pyromanicac(in the criminal scence of the term)
I do more then just play with fire, I build my own fireworks and rockets from scratch, I have about $3000 worth in chemicals and tooling for this hobby. Two very good suppliyers are http://www.firefox-fx.com/ and http://www.skylighter.com/
there is a fourm run in the uk that keeps the "nutbags" away as well http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum Passfire.com is agen another great site that stays away from questionable topics, due to recent events this hobby is getting very difficult to keep legal
passfire is not a free site though, it's a pay only membership, but they do have visitors area.

oh, Thermite is also the best way to delete the data on a harddrive, i don't even think bill gates could recover data from that !

Now for this discimer, Buy the books recomened on skylighter and firefox before doing anything, chemical incompatabilitys , safty precautions, are all of dire importance, but like anything once you know a few things it's a very rewarding hobby

Last edited:

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
thermite.jpg

this was from last year, worked very well for starting the camp fire, the cansiter was a 12oz mt dew can, This was also in northren michigan iron ore like hematite is very easy to find

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me, been scared spitless of fire as long as I can remember. I heat with wood and use propane appliances daily, but no pyromania here. Of course, I'm not much of a flashaholic, either........

:buddies:

msm1018

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, thats why I bought 50 lighters off ebay just to say I bought 50 lighters off ebey and of course use them!!!

dyyys1

Enlightened
Brlux said:
I would not consider my self a Pyro but others may differ.

Here is one of my recent experiments.

Nice experiment! I need to try that some time :naughty:. Of course, I would need an old microwave and a safe location, and right now I don't have access to either.:thumbsdow Also, I like your avatar.

dyyys1

Enlightened
msm1018 said:
Oh yeah, thats why I bought 50 lighters off ebay just to say I bought 50 lighters off ebey and of course use them!!!

Did you see the Mythbusters episode where they blew up the lighters in the car? Be careful when you transport those.:poof:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I started grinding magnesium to mix with sulfur in junior high school and progressed to more serious oxidizers in high school. Modding Estes D-12's to launch world-class reports and making what would today be classed as a "destructive device" was common for the 4th of July! Then, abt 10 years ago I landed in the ER in Joshua Tree for two consecutive 4ths for major burns. Shortly thereafter a very good friend blew his right arm off and damn near didn't make it. I will plead guilty to having loaded some rimfire priming into a .22 airgun pellet for JimH's benefit on Thanksgiving, ( :D ) but I am no longer a pyro, and don't miss it much. Some cool memories I was lucky to survive!

Larry

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fire is nice. I like fire. Of course, I only like it when it's controlled, like in a lighter, match, or confined area. Then it's fun.

I got a Colibri Trident that has three ignition methods - Electro-Quartz, Quantum, and SST. It's great fun.

Once, at a beach bonfire a couple months ago, there was this girl who really liked fire - so much so that I was actually reprimanded for adding the beams from my flashlights to the soft glow! :huh: Strange, but true.

I have a link: www.flameengineering.com.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I mess around with fire myself as well as items that can burn or explode. Sometimes, it's a "good" fire such as the campfire I lit or whatever I have in my fireplace (My parents don't like using the fireplace since they are afraid it would blow up and burn down the house but I occasionally build a fire in there; just lined the interior with foil to keep it clean and empty the ashes as soon as they're cool). :naughty:

I've used to be a lot more crazy with things that explode and have modified fireworks in the past to "enhance" their normal function as well as burned or exploded various items (lighters, aerosol cans, CO2 cartridge, batteries) just for fun. I've gotten myself into trouble though; don't want to say too much detail about it, but I've been busted by cops for tresspassing (hey, I just hiked up a hill behind my house) and I had some matches and a small "Handy Can" of WD-40 as well as my normal EDCs with me. They let me go with a warning though but if a brushfire was reported in the area, they would come looking for me. Flamethrowers, I've learned since, are classified as destructive devices and ownership is strictly regulated. Even possession of a flammable aerosol spray (WD-40 for example) and an ignition source can get you in trouble for "conspircy (spelling?) to commit arson"

Fireworks; played with those "safe and sane" kind then everyone knows the trick where you flatten the end of a "Screaming Pete" to make it explode at the end and makeing Ground Blooms fly. On one occasion, my friend and I found an M-80 while cleaning up the yard and we had no idea it would be that loud but we decided to light it off anyway. I guess every dog in the neighborhood was barking after and the neighbors though someone had fired a gun.

That's all I can think of for now.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Always have and always will be a pyro :) It is all about saftey and control.

Without going into details i once helped a friend remove a stubborn stump from his property with nothing more than a match.

Ever seen smoldering stump leap 10 feet in the air.... i have :D

goldenlight

Enlightened
Led_Blind said:
Always have and always will be a pyro :) It is all about saftey and control.

Without going into details i once helped a friend remove a stubborn stump from his property with nothing more than a match.

Ever seen smoldering stump leap 10 feet in the air.... i have :D

Now there HAD to be more than just a match involved to get a stup flying 10 feet into the air!

I've always liked fireworks. As a kid I didn't use them very safely, but as I'm now older, and rather fond of my fingers, I pretty much 'lay on ground, light fuse, and get away', just like the instructions say.

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a propane torch (about $20.00 at harbor frieght). It has a 2 foot long handle and about 3 feet of hose for connecting to a bbq tank. The burner is about the size of a pop can. You can use it to torch weeds in a sidewalk or ignite a burn pile, etc. It sounds like a jet when you pull the trigger. The first time I used it, it scared me a little. But it is big fun!

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
The weed burner is also good for cooking steaks if you like the outside well done and the inside rare, we used to call it Manhatten style. 'Bout a minute per side..

Me Pyro?? Every time there was a loud noise, Mama would run out on the porch and look for me.

Fire engine? Mama would run out on the porch and look for me.

Smell of smouldering small animal? Mama would run out on the porch and look for me.

Test runs of Zinc-Sulphur rocket engines? Mama would hide in the closet.

Fire starter at camp? Half pound of Magnesium turnings from a local machine shop and a dash of Sodium Nitrate fretilizer. Scout Master avoid me like I had Black Plague after that one.

All above were a long time ago, before they were made felonies...

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Back when I was in highschool, I had a camero that I was putting together. I had to work the night that that it was supposed to be finished and I had some friends work on it in my shed to try and get it finished. Well, the car and shed caught on fire and burned the entire shed down. One of my friends called 911 to report the fire. While giving directions to the house, the operator said "oh, the Hamilton residence". Yep, fire trucks have been to my parent's house on a few occasions. I once took a 9 foot pipe, stuck a model rocket engine down it and launched it towards our neighbors pond. Well, it didn't make it to the pond and caught our nieghbor's field on fire. Then in the summer of 93, I had a BB gun that looked like an M16. I discovered that black cats fit nicely into the plastic "flash suppressor" on the end of the barrel. I'd light the black cat, pull the trigger and it would shoot them about 25 yards and blow up. Well, one didn't blow up and ended up catching our field on fire. Another time, when I was young, I put a full 5 gallon metal gas can on top of the burn barrel and lit the burn barrel on fire. That was crazy, it shot a 20 flame out of the spout of the gas can when it caught on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.