What Next -- Mag85 or HID?

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
For my next light, I am thinking about something much brighter than my current lights (Mag 3D LED, Fenix P1D CE, Huntlight Cree, Pila GL4 550, etc.).

I would prefer a "flashlight" form factor that can be carried easily. Two options are a Mag85 or an HID like the Wolfeyes Boxer 24W or AE 24 Watt.

We live in a very dark area and I'd like to be able to really light up the yard when something goes bump in the night.

Thoughts? Which one is brighter? Will it be noticeable? Why might I choose one over the other?

Thanks!

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
For a "bump in the night" type light, I'd probably suggest the Mag85, since it turns on much faster than an HID. HIDs take a little while to warm up, while incans like the Mag85 fire up right away.. (To be fair, HIDs usually become pretty bright within the first 5-10 seconds - but when something goes bump, you want to see what it is *immediately*.)

The Mag85 will give you about 1200 lumens before loss, and if I remember correctly, about 800+ lumens out the front. This should be significantly brighter than the GL4.

You might also want to consider CPF member FiveMega's small form-factor Mag85s (e.g. the 2 1/3 "D" size Mag85), or even the ROP LE. I love the ROP LE - it's a huge amount of light from a very manageable 2C Maglight. Easy to carry, and enough light for most purposes.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I have a mag 85 and the 24w AE powerlight. Both have their advantages. The mag 85 turns on instantly and the AE takes about 8 seconds or so to get to full brightness. The mag 85 is smaller but the AE really isn't that big, just a little longer and thicker than a 3D mag. The mag 85 is pretty darn bright but the AE is way way brighter with much longer throw. The run time on my mag 85 with energizer 2500's is around 45 minutes and the AE runs 2 hours. The bulb on the AE is rated at 2,000 hours (I think) and the bulb on the mag 85 is runs around 10. Allthough, I'm pretty sure I have more than 10 hours on my mag 85 bulb. I don't think my mag 85 is as overdriven as some other's mag 85, I still need to get better batteries (CBP 1650's) and a hot driver. That will make it even brighter. I'm going to have to do that soon because I had been using the stock mag switch and it finally melted so the light doesn't turn on anymore. I've got around $125 in my mag 85 and $300 in the AE. If I were you, I'd get one and then get the other. Its very easy and fun to put together a mag 85. Pretty cool to show people too, they don't expect a 3D maglite to be that bright. The AE just looks like its got power, and it does. Both are great lights.

Last edited:

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
diesel_dad said:
For my next light, I am thinking about ...Two options a Mag85 or an HID like the Wolfeyes Boxer 24W or AE 24 Watt.

I have a Mag 85 which puts out so much light that I cannot imagine actually being able to use more in a practical application. We use it with a very radical off-road "RV" to scout places to park in the dark, to evaluate tunnels and caves we like to explore, and to find wildlife at distances while on night hikes.

It is terrific, easily recharged, and as I said it puts out so much light that i cannot imagine being able to actually use more.

Have fun.

John

FredM

Enlightened
Bump in the night light would be a Mag85 having the advantage. More flood beam than the AE and would be good to light up a yard.

I still prefer the AE and would get it though.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pound for Pound you have to go for the Mag85...in fact if you want a little more...ok a lot more light go with the Mag39 by MadMaxabeam you will have about 1500 lumens out the front with a Westinghouse 75W 04439 bulb look here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144209

Last edited:

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
choppers said:
Pound for Pound you have to go for the Mag85...in fact if you want a little more...ok a lot more light go with the Mag39 by MadMaxabeam you will have about 1500 lumens out the front with a Westinghouse 75W 04439 bulb look here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144209

Good concept -- but 15 minutes run-time is a little short for me.

Do other Mag85 variations get anywhere close to an hour run-time?

Thanks!

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
diesel_dad said:

Thanks!

Your closest bet would probably be something like CPF member FiveMega's new ROP mod, available in the "Group Buys and Passarounds" forum under the title "One Hour ROP". The ROP ("Roar of the Pelican," so named because it uses a bulb from the company Pelican) is reasonably close in brightness to the Mag85, and can last pretty long with the "lo" bulb. FiveMega's version is a modified 2 1/2 "D" size mag that puts out about 700+ lumens for nearly an hour. (The light is bored out inside to accept a special holder and a special type of batteries). You could even try building something similar yourself.

The ROP comes in two versions: high and low. The high is brighter and thus closer in brightness to the Mag85, but the low lasts longer. Even the low version isn't a slouch; it provides 300 or 400 lumens, and should last close to an hour. The low alone might even be sufficient for "bump in the night" type excursions.

Of course, for a "bump in the night," you don't really need runtime - just maximum light. In that respect, MadMax's 1500 lumen offerings (or his colossal 4000 lumen Mag623) would also work. There's also "TheTorch" by cmacclel - same output as the Mag623, but apparently even a bit smaller.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
diesel_dad said:

Thanks!

DD - My Mag85 (from Juan C) gives me an honest one hour of continuous run time on a single charge (9xAA), then it drops precipitously.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get both. You can't really call yourself a flashaholic without making a Mag85 I know I didn't feel like one until I built mine. Once you go big and bright you'll crave an HID for those times you need a bit more light when changing a tire:naughty: .

Valolammas

Enlightened

If you build one with AW's three-level switch (approximately 30W, 20W and 10W), then yes, sort of. With decent capacity AAs, the medium setting should run about an hour and the lowest up to two, but it won't be as bright, of course. I built my Mag85 with this switch, and I'm extremely happy with it. The ability to adjust the power level with a click or two makes the Mag85 a very useful light.

EDIT: oops, I didn't notice that this thread was almost a year old. Oh well, never mind. I'll leave my post unedited, though, in case this thread turns up, when somebody does a search on the Mag85.

Last edited: