Pen Flashlight

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I am a Paramedic and want a pen with a light on it similar to the Coast model LL7590 (sorry, couldn't figure out how to add a picture).
Does anyone know of anyone who makes a similar product?
This would only be used for eye exam or reading a pill bottle in low light, etc. I will carry a more powerful light for other tasks.
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. Is general flashlight discussion the best forum for this question?

Thanks again,
Qben

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

George Orwell

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Energizer makes an LED penlight (2 AAA) that pretty decent, especially at $5.99. Find it in the flashlight aisle at Target.

Geoff

Qben

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your input. I am specifically looking for a light that is not only the shape of a pen, but that also functions as one. I find that it is helpful to be able to minimize the number of different pieces I am handling. Note that on the Coast model at the start of the thread it is a functional pen with an led light in the other end. Do you know of any others like this?
Qben

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you are depending on your light and really need it ... I wouldn't buy something cheap and flakey or worse ... a pen/light combo. Chances are high that either one of the two will quit service anyhow :green:
If you need a good tool, it won't come cheap. Like always in life.
bernie

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
If you are depending on your light and really need it ... I wouldn't buy something cheap and flakey or worse ... a pen/light combo.

Second that. Get a penlight that is boring: press the switch and it either comes on or goes off, nothing else.

Check out this UK penlight: http://www.brightguy.com/products/UK_2AAA_LED_Penlight_S_(eLED).php

Best penlight I've ever had. Rugged, compact, nice momentary switch, good beam, decent runtime, bright enough for your intended functions, uses common batteries, and not terribly expensive.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I'm becoming an EMT on my local volunteer fire dept (I'm actually taking the national registry test this evening) and I have been looking at pen lights, and the UK one you linked to is on the top of my list. How does it compare to the SL one? How good is the color rendition? Does it use a nichia cs? Could it be upgraded to one if not?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been a frequent user of penlights since 1980 I've tried them all. The SL Stylus is well made but has a twist switch. Pelican's L4 is brighter and has a very nice rubber covered, true, clickie. Coast also makes an absolutely tiny 2xBR-435 lithium cell Nichia penlight which isn't as bright as the L4 but might be good for pupils. This light is a nice size and weight for a pocket - it's unnoticeable. I think it's the V-16 penlight. The downside is finding cheap cells. The light is only $10 but Batteries + wants almost $5 for each of the two required cells. I'm checking some web sites for better prices because I use this light a lot.