24 hour outage, Less is More I find once again

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The power went off Monday afternoon and came back on just a short time ago. It was not super cold, in fact the weather was nice for this time of year. But there were a few interesting things to come from it.

The Mr Heater Big Buddy we just bought works very well. It was not on constantly, but when it was needed to take off the chill it worked splendidly. Pat learned how to use it in just one quick demonstration and she was comfortable with it, something she never was with the Kerosene heaters.

As far as lighting goes, less is more in many ways, at least for our particular household. LESS lumens is used much MORE than higher powered lights. In the dark where your eyes are used to the dark, low powered lights work very well, in fact often more comfortable than glaring powerful lights. My higher powered flashlights were used only a few times outside, and during the day when the house was in shadow inside.

The big 20 LED lantern was used only sparingly, most often when we were doing something together like playing cards or a game.

We most often used the Brinkman two led headlamps while doing household chores, eating or reading. Pat had picked up a set of 3 Stick and Click LED stickup lights at RiteAid. They were not powerful enough for closet use like we had wanted, they were only one 5MM LED ran by 3 AAA batteries. However I soon found out they worked splendidly for a "candle". Sitting one in the kitchen, living room, and bedroom provided enough light for sitting around and moving about, especially if using the headlamp for reading etc.

I carried on my person a AAA Minimag modded with MJLED, and my new L2S ( I wanted to see how well it carried). The Minimag was the only one used indoors. The L2S was used twice I think when I went outside.

My wife carried and used her 2 AAA RR along with her headlamp.

I found that I used the inova X5 a few times during the day when the house was in shadows and the Minimag did not seem to throw enough light to dispell shadows, the X5 lite up the dimness much better. It is funny how I needed something brighter to handle dim areas more than it was needed in completely dark areas.

With using the lights like this, my current inventory of flashlights and batteries would last a very long time indeed. You really need less than you think you may.

Warp

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
It is funny how I needed something brighter to handle dim areas more than it was needed in completely dark areas.

That's the way it goes. When it is completely dark a little light goes a long ways. You really do only need bright lights when outdoors (not always, even), when it's lightish and you are looking into shadowed areas, when it goes dark quckly and your eyes are not adjusted, when you want to blind somebody, etc.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Interesting post!

From November 16th at 11:30am till November 18 at 3:30pm we were without power due to the first big wind storm. 52 hours black out.

I used my two Inova X1's the most, aimed at the ceiling, providing room light. I changed the AA batteries at the end of the second night. 60 cents cost. X5's, didn't even use them, T2, used for a few minutes outside for fun. 3D Maglite with bulb for extra indoor light. D cells will still last me another year in it. Well that's about it. Boring huh?

What did I learn? I want more X1's and I wanna get rid of my X5's and T2. Not enough battey life and way too costly to operate IMHO. CR123A's are hard to get in Canada and costly. No matter how you try to get em', the shipping, taxes, hassles mean you end up paying $3 - $3.50 per cell. That's $7 to change the batteries once in the T2 or X5. A buck an hour? No way, that's sick to my mind! :rant:

Indeed, less is often more, and for me at least, it is my philosophy for flashlights.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I found out the same thing recently. We just had our power go out for about 48 hours and I realized that I don't need the really bright lights much in a blackout. I have thought for a long time that it was a waste of money to upgrade my AA minimag to one of the Nite-ize led's. It seemed so wimpy and pathetic, but it was plenty of light when the hours was dark. And I knew it would last for many hours. It is nice to have a bunch of lumens if you need them but I'm going to buy more Nite-ize upgrades for my minimags.

ginaz

Enlightened
amen. my dorcy 1aaa still gets the nod as most useful but HDS is really creeping in there, thanks mostly to it's great lower levels.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
This is why I only buy lights that offer multiple light levels nowadays. I like having the ability to trade off brightness and runtime as necessary. My current EDCs (U2, KROMA, Gladius, Jet-I MkII, Photon Freedom) all offer multiple brightness levels and more often than not I run them using the lowest light levels available.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
:mad:

I know this could be like cheating but what if your not at home. Who will light up your house during a blackout. Thats is why I bought lithonia battery backup lights modded with 6v led . Pretty good for low light conditions light can be seen from outside throught the hallway. The 6volt battery w/ leds will last more than 24 hours because the draw is like 50ma through like a 6V 2amp battery. There is of course dark spots like restrooms, bedrooms there I use Led lamps. And to scare would be intruders a 2 million candlepower spotlight or my 200 lm Surefire G2 atttached to my P90 Ruger.:xyxgun:

:sold: FRED