BBQ fire

Spidey82

Enlightened
is there any good way to start a charcoal burning other than firestarter cubes, will zippo fuel work??

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zippo fluid=naptha -super flammable
shocked.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Spidey82:
so what do u mean?? I can/can't use zippo fluid?
linfeng
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just mean thats it's twice as flammable as other charcoal lighter fluids..that are deodorized kerosine based. Just use caution.

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
Use a chimney started with a sheet or two of crumbled newspaper lightly doused with olive oil or any cooking oil. Light it up and place it under the starter.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
If by "good" you don't mean safe a gallon or two of gasoline does wonders. Mostly wondering what you were thinking
shocked.gif

Actually this idea is from the Crankshaft comicstrip and results in the fire department calling and usually damage to persons and/or property.

We just use kindling, paper and matches
winkie.GIF

Spidey82

Enlightened
ok. so pouring zippo fluid over charcoal and light it up wasn't a good idea.
thanx.
linfeng

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Chimney does not attach to your grill. The chimney is sold as a standalone item.

Put a couple of pieces of old newspaper in the bottom. Fill with charcoal from the top. Set on grate of grill and light newspaper. Charcoal will be ready in about 15 minutes or so. When ready, grab chimey by the handle and poor flaming charcoal into grill.

You can buy the chimney at Home Depot or probably Lowes. Should be able to mailorder one via the the Web if nobody stocks them in your area.

Haven't bought any charcoal lighter fluid in about 5 years!

Michael

Newly Enlightened
I also recommend the chimney device for starting charcoal. About $15 bucks at many hardware and home center stores.

No starter fluid needed, which usually leaves a noticible taste on food anyway. No kindling. Just a piece of LIGHTLY crumpled newspaper--never have needed olive oil on the paper. And the charcoal is usually ready in about 20-25 min.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The chimineys work GREAT, I would not use anything else for starting a back yard BBQ with charcoal

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone who's not familiar with these "chimney" charcoal lighting gadgets (I'd never heard of them before reading this thread
smile.gif
),

Here's a pic I just found after doing a web search:
39470.jpg

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S, I've seen that site before! Funny Stuff!

He has a viable alternative for Freon 12.

x-ray - A Charcoal Chimney is the ONLY way to start a fire! I use it all the time.

Termac

Newly Enlightened
I use a chimney starter too, but I don't enjoy the ash and smoke one gets from the paper method. So I now get the charcoal started in the chimney with a propane touch. I just blast it for about a minute from below. BTW Brits, a propane torch is not a flashlight!