Best flashlight for under $20?

bright-bulb

Newly Enlightened
Need to buy flashlight. Have $20. Prefer not to spend all of it but will if necessary. How bright will light be and how far will the light travel at night if I spend all $20. Prefer good range.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Maglite 4D. This sucker is bright with Duracell batteries and it can light up a house about half a block away. At least that's how it was with personal experience...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, I've racked my brain a bit and if you are gonna stay at $20 or less and want throw you just about have to get a 4D M*g.

I'd consider busting the budget a bit, and doing a 2C M*g with a M*gled drop-in. Throw stays good and M*gled is WAY WAY better than a 2 cell Krypton!

If you go M*g 4D you could either get a Xenon M*g bulb for tighter/brighter beam or again a M*gled for LOOOOONG battery life and still quite decent throw.

3mw

Newly Enlightened
How about a Brinkmann Maxfire LX at Target. This light includes batteries and a sheath. All for $16.99.

Also, the Princeton Tec 40 is a nice light for the money. Campmor and Sierra Trading Post has the older models for $10 and change. This light comes with 4AA Duracell batteries (Campmor).

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I like carrot's suggestion for a small 2AAA pocket light. If you're looking for a really bright, long throwing, but not too pocketable LED consider the 3 watt 2C from Advanced Auto Parts. It's just under $20, including belt pouch and wrist strap.

Geoff

Glen C

Enlightened
Guys if you look at all bright boys posts you may come to the conclusion he is a troll :)

fishx65

Enlightened
If your on a budget, I would also consider the cost to feed the light. AA's are the cheapest way to go if you are not planning on running rechargables. For 20 bucks, that advanced auto 2C sounds good. In the long run, a 4aa propoly would be very cheap to run but it goes over your budget by about 10 bucks. Home Depot has the 3aa led minimag on sale right now for $16.00!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I got the Mag 3AA LED a couple days ago for $15.98. No lie. A sign said the sale was for the rest of December. Maybe all HDs are not equal.

Geoff

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
I got the Mag 3AA LED a couple days ago for $15.98. No lie. A sign said the sale was for the rest of December. Maybe all HDs are not equal.

Geoff
I see you're in N.C. I'm in the S.F. Bay Area. My old man went to Home Depoty yesterday and he didn't see any Mini Mag LEDs. Instead, he saw a lot of regular Mini Mag incands. on sale for $7.

MBeam

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from Home Depot and picked up a 3AA LED for $15.98 after reading the message on this post. I then had to go to Costco. where they have the Inova X02 for $22.99, I got one of those too.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It kind of pains me that I don't have $16 bucks to get yet another 3AA LED.

With a bit of luck, I'd actually hit the lottery this time!

The two I own have a decidedly blueish tint.

EDIT> WAIT! I take that back. My LOW serial number (#18) 3AA isn't terribly blue after all. But I'd really rather not mess up this example! Maybe I could change out LED modules in the two....

thunderlight

Enlightened
Picked up a 2xAAA Victorinox [version of the Inova radiant] for $20 at Sportsman's Warehouse in North Phoenix the other day. Brighter than the comparable radiant but slightly dimmer than the River Rock 2xAAA, but a better constructed light all around. If money is tight, go with the River Rock.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
Fenix Civictor

I love my Civictor...where can you get one for $20???

I think the Minimag 3AA is a great light for $20. It doesn't throw a great deal, and is kinda long, but it puts out so much light it compensates a bit.
I can clearly see a neighbor's shed and back yard from over 100' away, and this is in a light-polluted area without dark-adapted eyes.

Mine has a very good tint.
Thank goodness, because I am very sick of losing the Luxeon lottery.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA Magled is really hard to beat at around $23 at Walmart. I also really like the Princeton Tec 40 with 4 Energizer NIMH cells and a KPR 139 bulb. It will produce more lumens than a stock G2 (or Maxfire) and last for around 2 hours at near full brightness, and since you are using rechargable cells it is free lumens as well! Hard to beat for the price. :rock: