First Post....n00b

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
Wow....it's been a while since I've made a "first post" thread! I've got a combined 14k posts on the two other message boards I frequent (sad...somewhat of a post-whore, huh?). :ohgeez: At ANY rate, I stumbled onto this site a while back when a friend sent me a link to the (possibly infamous?) Xenarc Tank Light pictures - what a beam!

I've always been somewhat interested in flashlights...I had a rechargeable Rayovac (or something) when I was a kid that had what I thought was a nice tight beam and decent throw. Eventually, the battery would no longer take a charge, and that was that.

Although I lurked on and off from time to time, I finally got around to registering on this site when I came to do research for a Christmas gift. I wound up going with the SF e2w (Wine Light II) from LAPG for my dad, but I think I'll also order him an MN02 bulb after the holidays...I was one of those that didn't realize it came with the 03 (or is it vice versa?). Anyway, I also picked up a SF G2 at a local sporting goods store for $34 as my first "real" flashlight in the high-end market. What a great little light that thing is! I can't wait to explore SF's other offerings... :rock: :sold:

I also have a 2D Mag that I just put fresh batteries and the 3w LED bulb in... Pretty nice, as well. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, say "Hello," and that I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Great site!

Regards,

Aaron

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you got everything figured out except you don't have enough lights. For instance:
YOu need super bright light with massive throw like a Thor Cyclops
You need a pocket light for EDC (every day carry)
You need a keychain light
You need a headlamp
stick around! We'll empty your wallets before too long.

also for research you need to check out flashlightreviews.com

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
carbine15 said:
It looks like you got everything figured out except you don't have enough lights. For instance:
YOu need super bright light with massive throw like a Thor Cyclops
You need a pocket light for EDC (every day carry)
You need a keychain light
You need a headlamp
stick around! We'll empty your wallets before too long.

also for research you need to check out flashlightreviews.com

Hmm...I concur on the super-bright, massive throw - I was going to wait a day or so before starting aNOTHER new thread, and it was going to be something along the lines of, "So...what should I buy next?" But I'll hold off for now. I get real spendy when I find a new addiction, and at this time of year, that could be dangerous! ;)

As for the EDC light, shouldn't my G2 qualify?

Any recommendations for a *decent* keychain light?

Believe it or not, I do have a headlight! It might not be up to the CPF standards, but I have one nonetheless... I got it as a gift last Christmas from my brother-in-law, who is an avid camper, so I bet he picked it up at a place like R.E.I. Anyway, I like to tinker underneath my cars from time to time, and I was always falling short on light, so I put a headlamp on my Christmas list. I don't know much about it, as I no longer have the packaging or any of the inserts, but it's got 4 white LEDs and I believe the brand name is "Black Diamond."

That's all... :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Keychain light... well there's the Fenix E0, E1, L0P, L0D. Then there's the Peak Matterhorn... of course the canonical Arc-AAA Premium... and last but not least the Photon microlights...

not2bright

Enlightened
Perfusion said:
but I think I'll also order him an MN02 bulb after the holidays...I was one of those that didn't realize it came with the 03 (or is it vice versa?).

Welcome!

The e2w Winelight II comes with a MN02. If you are looking for 60 lumens with the reduced run time then you need to order a MN03.

That e2w will make a nice gift! Especially with the MN03 and a few BatteryStation CR123s to keep it going!

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
not2bright said:
Welcome!

The e2w Winelight II comes with a MN02. If you are looking for 60 lumens with the reduced run time then you need to order a MN03.

That e2w will make a nice gift! Especially with the MN03 and a few BatteryStation CR123s to keep it going!

MNO3...check...I figured I had it mixed up, thus the "...or is it vice versa?" part in my original post. He likes to take my parents' 2 ex-racing greyhounds for walks at night, so I think the Surefire will be a nice, easy-to-handle (read: small) light for him on the walks. The dogs are enough of a handfull - he doesn't need hassle from a light!

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Keychain light... well there's the Fenix E0, E1, L0P, L0D. Then there's the Peak Matterhorn... of course the canonical Arc-AAA Premium... and last but not least the Photon microlights...
I'll have to look into those! Thanks!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you have the Moonlight by Black Diamond. It looks to be pretty comfortable for working on cars cause it's got that built in headrest/pillow that is the battery carrier.
heres the review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/blackdiamond_moonlight.htm

As keychain lights go everyone should have one of the very bright very cheap $0.50 phauxton (fake photon) button cell squeese lights. They are exceedingly bright and available from Lighthound Qualitychinagoods and lowest price from fifthunit.

Your G2 is EDC in the winter no problem but once the weather starts warming up you'll want a smaller light to carry that's not so bulky like a single AAA. Any of the Fenix lights work fine for this but I recomend the brigtest one you can find and throw in a clip too. If that's not bright enough then a single CR123 light like the fenix P1 should serve you fine.

not2bright

Enlightened
Perfusion said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, all... Lots of great info to peruse already!

I too am a member of several forums. This one by far has the most information and best group of members. I am a EE and CompSci guy but the much info and topics discussed here are cutting edge. Also the Mods do a great job of taking care of business and make sure that this is a nice place to visit!

To help with the number of posts, use the search (preferably the Google Search while we are on this server) before you ask a question. Almost everything has been discussed here somewhere at sometime. :grin2:

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

dyyys1

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! I second the Fenix P1 as a great EDC light. It comes with a belt holster and has an amazing size-to-brightness ratio.:rock: