Which Scorpion? Xenon gas filled or LED

TommyRox

Newly Enlightened
As you can see from a previous post I lost my Scorpion. I am almost now leaning towards just replacing it but now there is an LED version. Again I am new and would appreciate any and all feedback on the pro's and con's of each bulb version.

Thanks again !!!

TommyRox

TommyRox

Newly Enlightened
I found this:

Like the original Streamlight Scorpion the Scorpion LED is small, rugged and compact. The Scorpion LED has a 1 watt Luxeon LED that provides 42 lumens of power regulated light. Two 123A lithium batteries provide power for up to 3.75 hours of continuous runtime. Unlike other lights that dim rapidly as the battery is drained the Scorpion LED maintains maximum intensity for 1.75 hours. While not as bright as the original Scorpion flashlight the Scorpion LED does not produce as much heat, has a 10,000 hour LED life, is more impact resistant and runs over three times longer on a set of batteries.The Scorpion LED's compact size allows it to be stored in your vehicle glove box, briefcase, home or office desk drawer. The 10 year shelf life of 2 123A lithium batteries, 3.75 hours of run time, and rugged construction, insures Scorpion LED will be ready for any emergency.

Pretty much sums it up.

:sold:

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
I'd take the LED version because of the long runtime.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Scorpion xenon and have a Scorpion LED (gave xenon to my bro-in-law). I prefer the LED for several reasons:

1. I don't like how the xenon version requires unscrewing the head to change focus (the TL-2/NF-2 is better where you just adjust the bezel).
2. I can run rechargeables in the LED (such as 1x 17670).
3. LED runs for much longer and has regulation (FLR's reviews showed it stays in regulation for over 2.5hrs, close to 3hrs before hitting 50%).
4. Found out the Scorpion LED head fits Vital Gear FB1/FB2 bodies.

The LED version's not quite as bright as the xenon, but it's plenty bright and has great throw for it's output (around 40 lumens). I got my Scorpion LED for $40, which is a great deal for a nice 2x123A LED with momentary switch.

For a xenon, if I were to stay with SL, I prefer the TL-2 and NF-2 (for a 2cell, TL-3 is great if you're ok with going to a 3cell, which can run 2x 17500s also). Going away from SL, I think the SF G2 is a better deal (can be had for $30 shipped) and the Wolf-Eyes 6-series is a better deal (and brighter than both SF G2 and SL). The nice thing about the SL's is the low cost of the bulbs though.

For another LED choice that's very affordable and a better deal in terms of what you get for the price than the SL Scorpion LED, look at the Huntlight FT-01 from JSBurlys.com. For $31 (+$5sh), it's brighter than the Scorpion LED (around 60 lumens!), has a very nice beam, well made, and stays in regualtion for 3.5hrs! It also has a driver that can handle anywhere from a single Li-Ion (3.7V) up to 2 Li-Ions (7.4V, 8.4V hot off charger) and can fit an 18650 cell. The only negative is the reverse clicky, but if you don't mind that, it's an awesome deal. I use it more than my Scorpion LED as it's noticably brighter.

Illum

Flashaholic

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the scorpion is still a very good light. I don't know much about the LED version, but if it does what you want, then I'd say go for it. Flashlightreviews said it has less throw, but longer run time (2.5 hours) and at a constant level. Sounds good to me. It is a little bigger than the the incan version and of course more expensive.

Possible alternatives:
Incan:
SureFire G2 - cheaper, but no clickie. LED upgradeable
SL TL-2 - about the same price, just a little different

LED:
SL TL-2 LED (make sure to get the newer version)
Inova X0 (new version with reflector - not as much output/throw, but very utilitarian beam for 5-6 hours runtime.
G2 with LED upgrade (BOG or G&P module)
VB-16 from CPF member Wit's End - many stages output, 4W, good throw/spill

If you spend more:
Surefire A2 - two stage with LEDs for dim flood and Xenon high
Surefire Milkyspit modded L1 - two stage output like the A2, but all LED
Surefire 6P - LED upgradeable like the G2
Surefire L2 (two stage) L4, L5
Night Ops Gladius - multi-stage, multi-mode
HDS EDC B60 - shorter and have to buy used now, multi-staged

There are more, take a look at Flashlightreviews.com

TommyRox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for he responses !!!! I purchased a Fenix P1D CE but have not recieved it yet.

Last edited:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
If the Scorpion has the same tendency as my TL-2 to loosen the bipin bulb when dropped or when turning the bezel
thumbsdown.gif
, I'd go with the LED any time. Congrats on the Fenix!

Kees