Why reverse clicky is standard?

LA OZ

Enlightened
I just don't understand why reverse clicky is standard when the opposite is more functional and intuitive. So what is the benefit of reverse clicky?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
its more easy to make small and reliable reverses
(dont ask me why)

the only reliable and small and good "positive" I know are the SF kind --> momentary contact + twisty

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love being able to momentarily flash a light without clicking it on. In fact, many times that is all I need to do, so I also feel reverse clickies are counter-intuitive. However, a reverse clickie will seldom, if ever, activate itself when smushed around in a fanny pack or such. A sensitive non-reverse clicky can and will, draining your batteries.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Hmm, it was my assumption that it is because almost all of the Chinese lights I encountered have reverse clicky. Perhaps it is cheap and easier to made.

Robban

Enlightened
Turbo DV8 said:
I love being able to momentarily flash a light without clicking it on. In fact, many times that is all I need to do, so I also feel reverse clickies are counter-intuitive. However, a reverse clickie will seldom, if ever, activate itself when smushed around in a fanny pack or such. A sensitive non-reverse clicky can and will, draining your batteries.
That's why you lock the switch out by unscrewing the tail cap a bit. Takes 2 seconds to do and can save both your battery and in the case of high power lights, your bag as well.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA OZ said:
Hmm, it was my assumption that it is because almost all of the Chinese lights I encountered have reverse clicky. Perhaps it is cheap and easier to made.
Maybe it has something to do with being on the other side of the equator, like how toilets flush in the opposite direction.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robban said:
That's why you lock the switch out by unscrewing the tail cap a bit. Takes 2 seconds to do and can save both your battery and in the case of high power lights, your bag as well.

Many lights you cannot "lock out" by unscrewing the tailcap. Some lights make their negative contact via the threads, which in order to "lock out" by unscrewing, you would have to remove the cap entirely. Others, which make their contact only on the last twist of the cap via a contact in the cap and the end of the body, you can lock out by unscrewing slightly. Unless I am missing something?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate reverse clickies. Best setup I've seen is like on the HDS where you can press and hold for momentary - release and it is off. But if you click (or press and release quick) it stays on. That of course takes some intelligent control circuitry but not a lot. Wish more lights used this type of setup and the light press clicky on the HDS.

Danbo

Enlightened
Yep, that's one other thing I dislike about my new Huntlight. The reverse clicky doohicky. I can live with it, but would much prefer the other clicky tailcap.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
A reverse clicky is one where you have to press, allow to "click", and release, with the light only comes on during the release stroke. You can then often press lightly to temporarily turn off - with a full depress and release required to turn the light off permanently.

A standard clicky is the opposite, when the light turns on as soon as you begin to depress the switch, and stays on after the initial click/release. The common alternative to the standard clicky is the tactical screw-type cap, where you can press-and-hold to temporarily turn-on, and screw-on for permanent (i.e. as seen on numerous surefires). These types of casp invariably have lock-out features by definition - something you don't always see on clickies (but certainly can - depends if anodizing is present on the threads)

From the comments I've seen from manufacturers in various threads, the long-term reliability of standard clickies tends to be worse that reverse clickies, for some reason. Hence the prevalence of reverse clickies despite the off-quoted complaints I've seen posted here.

Personally, I don't mind them on most lights - I'm quite used to it in fact. For tactical purposes, the press-on tail cap is quite sufficient - and probably a lot more reliable over time than any clicky could ever be.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
Maybe it has something to do with being on the other side of the equator, like how toilets flush in the opposite direction.

Hmmm... I really hope I never have to travel south of the equator. I live north of the equator, and all my toilets flush downward. :huh:

Last edited: