Why is mini magled 2AA not in your favorites ?

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am not Flashaholic but I like these little led flashlights.
I bougth last year a new xnova 8 leds and this year a mini magled 2 AA for chistmas.
I say whoaaa about this light.
- it throw well
- it floods well too.
- it is cheap.
I think it is not ridiculous comparing to other 2AA like fenix L2T or L2P if I can trust www.flashlightreview.com.

So I would like to understand why is it not in your favorites ?

Gilles

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
gilles44 said:
Hello,
I am not Flashaholic but I like these little led flashlights.
I bougth last year a new xnova 8 leds and this year a mini magled 2 AA for chistmas.
I say whoaaa about this light and I wonder why it is not in your favorites ?
- it throw well
- it floods well too.
- it is cheap.
I think it is not ridiculous comparing to other 2AA like fenix L2T or L2P if I can trust www.flashlightreview.com.

So I would like to understand why is it not in your favorites ?

Gilles
Well lets see:

- is not regulated
- is not HA
- it has cheap plastic lens
- isn't that cheap if you compare it with the competitors (Inova, Fenix and others)
- non-fixed focus=annoying thing
- it doesn't have a clickie button

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well lets see:

- is not regulated
- is not HA
- isn't that cheap if you compare it with the competitors (Inova, Fenix and others)

Can't argue with any of that.

Anyways, this is the company that tried to "heavy" Peter Gransee and his wonderfull little Arc AAA flashlight.

CFU

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine at work for poking around in computers. The spill is not very good. Maybe if the reflector wasn't so deep it would have a better spill beam.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Focusing is a feature that peeps like...

I think that most who don't fall in love with mag led 2or3 AA is because it will die without warning when batteries are low.

my 2 lumens.

Cheers.
Noob

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The original Streamlight Jr. Luxeon also has a 'feature' where it dies completely when the batteries are low. This threw me for a loop at first until I figured out what was going on. SL got a lot of warranty returns due to this 'feature', leading to the release of a different version. I wonder if M*g will suffer the same warrany return problem. (Moon mode rules)

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newuser01 said:
Focusing is a feature that peeps like...

I think that most who don't fall in love with mag led 2or3 AA is because it will die without warning when batteries are low.

my 2 lumens.

Cheers.
Noob
I'd be quite happy with a sudden death as long as the light kept a perfectly flat discharge curve for a decent amount if time. The fact is, Malgleds got a hideous output loss over time, they have like a couple of minutes of 100% output and that's it.

It's just unacceptable that the World's Largest and Most Famous Flashlight Manufacturer is years behind everybody else in design and technology. It shouldn't be that hard for them to put a simple regulator in the damn thing...

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
No clicky option.

Too skinny. I prefer my Dorcy Gelbrites because of the soft rubbery grip which also makes it 'C cell' sized. Much more comfortable to hold.

Too long. Won't fit in my minimag holsters. Won't fit in my jeans pocket. I prefer single cell AAA/AA lights. The Civictor V1 is the largest light I will carry in my pocket. The versatile L0P-SE is my normal goto light away from home. One of the rubber clad lights at home.See my sigline.

BTW the 2AA minimagLED is regulated. The 3AA is not.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:
No clicky option.

Too skinny. I prefer my Dorcy Gelbrites because of the soft rubbery grip which also makes it 'C cell' sized. Much more comfortable to hold.

Too long. Won't fit in my minimag holsters. Won't fit in my jeans pocket. I prefer single cell AAA/AA lights. The Civictor V1 is the largest light I will carry in my pocket. The versatile L0P-SE is my normal goto light away from home. One of the rubber clad lights at home.See my sigline.

BTW the 2AA minimagLED is regulated. The 3AA is not.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm

If they call that regulation, they should close down the university where those incompetent magled engineers graduated...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yup, all of the above. For me, lack of spill and sudden drop-off are the two main issues. The dimensions are not ideal either. For the original price, I think there are better lights out there. They are a better buy at the new price.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with one my friend has. After a week of having it, it now flickers horribly when twisting the bezel to turn it on or focus it. Also the output didn't seem any better than a TLE-5 dropin.

tron3

Banned
The way I see it, anything that has all the misgivings stated above is for beginners. Especially those lights with multiple LED's.

True flashaholics go for the hard stuff like Nichia, Luxeon, and Cree. The hardcore addicts mess around with HID lamps.

There are rumors that when a HID lamps blow out, they grind it up and snort it to absorb its soul.

:bow: :bow: :caution:

:grin2:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $25 US, it's not a bad buy at the department stores when compared to other LED flashlights you'll find there. I personally don't hate it as I still think Maglites will always have a certain classic appeal to them.

Outdoors Fanatic said:
Well lets see:

- is not regulated
- is not HA

What exactly is "not that cheap"? What's perceived as "expensive" depends on the individual, but the relative cost difference is substantial. The Minimag LED 2AA($24) is 53% the cost of L2T ($45).

$24 isn't that cheap compared to $45 as is $35K Dodge Magnum isn't that much cheaper than a $65K Mercedes Benz E550

Newuser01

Enlightened
tron3 said:
The way I see it, anything that has all the misgivings stated above is for beginners. Especially those lights with multiple LED's.

True flashaholics go for the hard stuff like Nichia, Luxeon, and Cree. The hardcore addicts mess around with HID lamps.

There are rumors that when a HID lamps blow out, they grind it up and snort it to absorb its soul.
Have any of you tried sticking up a fenix up your nose and look at it in the mirror? Try it with 2 up your nose in the dark? You can't do that with M@G.

:grin2:
Noob

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
What exactly is "not that cheap"? What's perceived as "expensive" depends on the individual, but the relative cost difference is substantial. The Minimag LED 2AA($24) is 53% the cost of L2T ($45).

$24 isn't that cheap compared to $45 as is $35K Dodge Magnum isn't that much cheaper than a $65K Mercedes Benz E550
I wasn't comparing the Minimag to the top of the line of Fenix AA series. When I wrote "not that cheap", I had the Inova Radiant series in mind, which are even cheaper than the magled.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I own several Maglites. I am not a Mag hater, but there is ONE thing that has always bothered me:

Every maglite I have ever owned has developed problems with poor electrical contact somewhere in the current path. I don't know why. EVERY ONE I have owned, whether the big D cell lights or the mini-maglites, has developed flickering or dimming of the beam due to some electrical issue. I find myself hitting the light or twisting the reflector to get it to go bright again. On one of my lights, a UV mag mod, after completely disassembling and cleaning with electrical contact cleaner, I never could eliminate the issue and the beam still will sometimes go dim and I have to shake or tap the light to get it to go bright again. I think there is some problem in the switch maybe.

This is not only happening when the lights are old, this is after only a short time of use on some lights (especially mini-mags). I have always found this incredibly annoying.

Other than that I like the lights.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the MMLED 2AA is "semi-regulated" where it gets a DC-DC voltage boost as a sort of regulation. The bad part of Mag's implementation of it is of course the whole sucking every last bit of juice out of the batteries to the point where it just dies. As for what any one person will consider cheap, I agree that it really does depend on the person. I think $24 is cheap compared to $45. At stores like Target or Walfart where you'd find MMLEDs, you'll also see Dorcys and Brinkmanns that range from $18-$40. And some of those flashlights have their strengths and weaknesses as well.