Those wacky Democrats....

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
They'll do your spending for you, they'll do your thinking for you, and now they'll even do your voting for you.

The Democratic party of Minnesota is now suing to get all of the absentee votes already cast for their deceased candidate automatically transferred to their new candidate.
Heaven forbid someone actually voted for the person and not the party!

Current law requires those wishing to change their vote to request a new ballot and re-vote.

I guess the Democrats in Minnesota feel that actually voting for yourself is too much of an inconvenience.
grin.gif

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I've given up trying to figure them out Greg. When it comes to their candidates....the laws allready in place don't seem to matter.....it's what they "feel" the laws "should" be that they want applied.

I'm not saying this applies to all Democrats by the way. Just to the ones that attempt this kind of crapola.

Greta

Flashaholic
What do you expect from the kind of people who turn a Memorial Service into a political rally and bring supporters in by the busloads?

Here is a link to my other board where a couple of stories regarding this are posted. This is disgusting!

Wellstone Family Snubs Cheney

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sasha:
What do you expect from the kind of people who turn a Memorial Service into a political rally and bring supporters in by the busloads?

Here is a link to my other board where a couple of stories regarding this are posted. This is disgusting!

Wellstone Family Snubs Cheney
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have lived through 12 different administrations (back to FDR), and while this incident was unethical, and un-called for, it is yet just another example of the behavior that both of the two major parties have indulged in, in the past.
frown.gif
icon8.gif

Republicrats + Demopubs-> =equal opportunity offenders. The examples are waay too numerous to post here.

Conclusion: very poor leadership in both parties, institutional corruption rather than the personal kind, resulting from too many cooks trying to stir the pot...
winkie.GIF

What we need is is a third party that can come in and make reform, and then self-destruct after 8 years.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

-one man's opinion that could be worth as much as you paid for it.
icon15.gif

Light-Headed

Enlightened
It looks like the MN Supreme Court just declined the wishes of the Democrats there. Absentee voters will either have to request a new ballot with the correct names or show up in person to vote.

Darell

Flashaholic
Are there people here who actually think that the rules apply to one party more than the other? That one party follows them more than the other? That one party has more "moral" condidates than the other? I suppose "disgusting" is in the eye of the beholder.

Yikes.

Greta

Flashaholic
It honestly doesn't matter WHO did it... it is disgusting behavior on ANYONE'S part. And no, I never said that any other political party was above reproach and never did anything wrong. I just know that more and more, I'm starting to really like Jesse Ventura...
wink.gif

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I agree Sasha. I have certain morals and beliefs that I attempt to live by. And, if anyone stands up for those particular morals that I hold dear, be they Democrat or Republican, then I will stand by them. I think Mr. Ventura did the right thing by criticizing this behavior and I stand by him on this issue.

And I know what you were trying to get at with your question darell, but to answer it simply.....yes, I do (with regards to the morals issue). I chose the party that, in my opinion, agrees with the morals that I believe are the correct ones. That's why I chose the party. If I thought the Democratic party matched my opinion of being "more" moral, then I would be a Democrat instead. Again, my opinion and everybodys will differ.
smile.gif
I in no way think that either party is perfect. Far from it.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
It honestly doesn't matter WHO did it... it is disgusting behavior on ANYONE'S part. And no, I never said that any other political party was above reproach and never did anything wrong. I just know that more and more, I'm starting to really like Jesse Ventura...
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At least Jesse Ventura has a mind of his own.
icon14.gif

A matter of National shame..-way less than half of the elegible voters will even bother to participate again this time.
frown.gif

-Sooo..-we get the kind of government that we so richly deserve.
-that has to be my last comment..-I've got to hook up my Oxygen again, so that I can breathe easily again today...what an interesting life..
frown.gif
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since you may be reluctant to say that the democrats are less above reproach than the republicans, I'll do it myself.
grin.gif

Liberals are far more likely to pull this kind of crap. Many of them have the mentality of political expedients, and have little regard for proper decorum. For instance, I have found that at universities, professors (almost all of whom are liberals) will use their position to promote their political agendas, without regard for the nature of the class. This is particularly true in liberal arts classes, but I've even seen left wing agendas stuck into math classes!

I have taught almost 70 college credits of mathematics, and despite being a staunch conservative, I have never used a classroom to promote my own views. It simply isn't my job, nor is it appropriate. It's disgusting to me that most of the other (liberal) teachers don't think the same way. It's as if they try to cram their agendas into anything they can get their hands on - and in the aformentioned case, even memorial services!

Evan

Enlightened
I really had hopes for Jesse Ventura and the Reform party. As the Democrats have slid off to the Left ans the Republicans cowtowed to the right, I thought the only place a new party could form was in the middle, and that after Jesse served his term as govenor he'd go for president. I really want decisions based on the facts and what is good for the country rather than ideology or buying cheap votes. But then Pat Buchanon was sent like a cruise missle from the Republican far right to destroy the Reform party.

Meanwhile I'm one of the disenfranchised voters living in a very safe district, and the last redrawing of the political map made even more like me. I can see why voters stay home, where I am only the Govenor's race looks like a contest. And there are lots of referendums, my favorite part of democracy.

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow you guys...

I have no idea what people think of me in regard to politics. But it is easy to guess since I'm a big fan of many non-traditional activities. You may be surprised at just how wrong you are in your assumptions about me, though. I'm a slippery one. I've been labeled many things in my life, but few of the labels stick for very long.

It actually pains me to read this thread. How often do we hear elected officials from both major parties boasting of bipartisan this and bipartisan that? Most people seem comfortable with bipartisanship being a GOOD thing. We like bipartisan, don't we?. It gets things done that couldn't otherwise be accomplished along strict party lines. And -

In the opening post, Gary made this comment:

Heaven forbid someone actually voted for the person and not the party!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought this was a GREAT comment. Brings it home. WE should all vote for a candidate, not a party. Right? Then why do all of the following posts to this thread come down squarely on ONE party side? The party shouldn't have anything to do with this discussion if the candidates can stand on their own merits. Why have parties at all? Why not just present some qualified people and allow us to vote for them? Is it just some amazing coincidence that each candidate in a party matches each of the goals in our own personal agendas? The fact of the matter is - we DO vote for the party, don't we? What percentage of voters vote for something imporant OUTside of their party I wonder?

*** Edit - Ah, nice of you to edit out your last line, Lux.
wink.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey darell,

I didn't have you in mind at all, and I haven't found you to be the kind of person I mentioned in my post.

Yes, I edited out the last line. I didn't want to see this thread go the way of the freedom ad thread.
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Don't worry about me. I didn't feel as if anything was pointed my way. Wouldn't even take offense if it were.

I like and respect just about everybody here at CPF (you'll notice I left a small "out" there.
smile.gif
). We may have different opinions, but that's what makes this board so great. We can share our thoughts - and sometimes they involve very sensitive subjects - and all learn.

I don't want anybody to think that shots are being taken at them, certainly, but we all have a right to our beliefs and convictions.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Actually darell, you're one of the people in here that I respect the most. We may not see eye to eye on all the relevant issues, but that doesn't mean I don't respect and listen to your opinions, even if I don't agree with them. Same goes for anyone who offers a decent, intelligent opinion.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
[qb]....I have taught almost 70 college credits of mathematics, and despite being a staunch conservative, I have never used a classroom to promote my own views. It simply isn't my job, nor is it appropriate. It's disgusting to me that most of the other (liberal) teachers don't think the same way. It's as if they try to cram their agendas into anything they can get their hands on - and in the aformentioned case, even memorial services!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perhaps it was the era when I went to college, but I attended three schools and don't recall any professor, regardless of party, use his classroom as a political sounding board.

The closest it ever came to that was when a classmate committed suicide with a handgun, and a few professors thought it should be tougher to get guns.

Brightnorm

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Jeff:
Hey, why don't you guys just go get a room???!!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's exactly why I'm all done with this class of forums. They always degenerate into brain-dead, adolescent labeling, extremely partisan accusations, and name calling.
-Nothing there but "chin music".

Here's an old saying:
>Great minds talk about ideas.
>Average minds talk about events.
>Small minds talk about people they don't like.

If I want this kinda action, I can always tune into a cheap AM radio talk show. They're all over the country right now, are free to listen to, and worth every penny of it.
icon8.gif
tongue.gif

-coming from one guy who has much "bigger fish to fry." When the first major crisis comes up in your life, as it inevitably will, all of this partisan B.S. will seem sooo terribly unimportant.
-tirade terminated
grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Living up here in DFL controlled Northern MN it is interesting to watch (and participate in) the partisan politics. Candidates that would be Republican elsewhere join the DFL so they can get elected. So especially here you have to look at records and listen to what they say (we know we can trust what they say right?
shocked.gif
). Look at Coleman he left the DFL just a few years ago and now is a Republican (was that Republicrat?) I won't miss voting this year if I can help it.
And yes the DFL was hoping to throw out lawfully cast votes.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Jeff:
Hey, why don't you guys just go get a room???!!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You payin' big guy? I'm sure Size15's will bring the video camera. Seems he's always up for that.
tongue.gif

Nothing wrong with a little group hug every now and again. Maybe we can even keep this thread from "degenerat{ing} into brain-dead, adolescent labeling, extremely partisan accusations, and name calling." We can certainly hope.