Overwhelmed

eravau

Newly Enlightened
Well, in a matter of less than three weeks, after having followed the beam of the tank searchlight into these forums, I have moved on from thinking my sub-$20 flashlights are sufficient. I have gone on to thinking a $70 Fenix P1D-CE would be a nice EDC. And then I get blown away by seeing a $300 light that is smaller than a tube of chapstick (Titanium CR2 Ion XT)...that makes me drool.

Every time I think I have my mind made up, something "cooler" catches my eye here. How do you all hang out here for years and ever figure out what to buy when there seem to be "brighter and better" announcements every other day?

I thought it was tough with buying computers. But at least there's generally 6-12 months between major upgrades. So you can at least have a few months of knowing you have the latest and greatest. Around here, it just doesn't stop. I'm having trouble deciding what to buy...especially since there's no way anything I buy will keep me from lusting after some other light for more than a week or two if I hang out around here. I'm looking for something small enough to carry even in "dress" pants without being obvious...but bright enough to walk around outside at night if I wanted. (Ok...what I really want is something as small as the CR2 Ion with as much throw as Mac's "Torch" and 24 hours to 50%...but who doesn't ;) ).

I'm just trying to deal with a budding addiction and having trouble getting started because I can pick a first light (besides the herd of stock Mag lights I already own).

How do you guys deal? How do you decide where to start?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The availability of so many GOOD lights IS overwhelming even to an old flashaholic like me. When I join CPF, three years ago, I was astonished. Now the variety is unbelievable!

Cydonia

Enlightened
I deal with it by assessing my needs and requirements. And by not getting my wants and desires confused with those needs :laughing:

A boring old Maglite D cell with one of the many LED modules made by different places is still hard to beat for cheap, available, focussing, basically disposable and LONG lasting light. I've gone full circle back to what I had all along it seems. Total heresy and loathsome but the truth :whistle:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes....we are very fortunate to have such variety! Welcome to CPF....you came to the right place to deposit your money. :laughing:

Seriously, though. The lights you listed sounds like an excellent start! I would love to have a Ti CR2 Ion XT. Sounds like a great EDC to me!

:thumbsup: WP

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Try to keep it cheap (my motto) until Fenix or someone else has a chance to get up to speed with the use of Cree LEDs. I imagine in a couple months there will be many more choices, especially AA and AAA powered small Cree lights.

Welcome to CPF. Hang in there, and remember, when in doubt buy both.

Geoff

Newuser01

Enlightened
Hello and happy hollidays!

Why don't you say hi to me? (if you look out the window and/or driving around, you'll see a guy in a old blue jacket pushing a cart full of cans and boxes. If you looked hard enough, you will see a mag D light sticking out of his pants. But dont go too close to me as My breath smells of li-ion and alkaline steaming out of my ears and nose.)

Good luck and God bless!

Noob.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I think what happened for me is, I just get to a point where I get really picky about what light I decide to buy next, because you start to learn a bit about the industry and what's good and what's not and what's average but touted as great. This has happened to me in other hobbies. You try a ton of different stuff out, but then you just come to a point where you know what you like and so you stop buying and trying out so many things. You come to your own conclusions that is.

Every once in awhile I'll find something unusual that I'd never tried before and find a new thing that I really like that I'd never seen before, but that doesn't happen as often these days.

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I think what happened for me is, I just get to a point where I get really picky about what light I decide to buy next, because you start to learn a bit about the industry and what's good and what's not and what's average but touted as great. This has happened to me in other hobbies. You try a ton of different stuff out, but then you just come to a point where you know what you like and so you stop buying and trying out so many things. You come to your own conclusions that is.

Every once in awhile I'll find something unusual that I'd never tried before and find a new thing that I really like that I'd never seen before, but that doesn't happen as often these days.

Yeah, I've had a simmilar experience.

Sometimes, something new will come out and I'll be like this::drool: about it, but I control myself for a day or two and then usually decide I would be disappointed with it and don't buy it. Lately, it takes a lot to get me to pull the trigger.

Of course, limited funds helps a lot too. :ohgeez:

greenLED

Flashaholic
eravau said:
Every time I think I have my mind made up, something "cooler" catches my eye here. How do you all hang out here for years and ever figure out what to buy when there seem to be "brighter and better" announcements every other day?
How do you guys deal? How do you decide where to start?
After going through quite a few phases of flashaholism over the years, here's how I see it nowdays:

Instead of going for "brighter and better", I think about what is "the right light for (insert your use here)". This helps me focused on my needs, I can sort through the dozens of suggestions I'll get from fellow CPF'ers (some of which will be impractical for my needs, BTW), and it helps me separate what I need from I want.

Sure, cooler stuff comes out often, but by keeping my little mantra in mind, I can wave a $300 light purchase easily and with no regrets whatsoever. After all, I already have a light (or two, or three) that already does what that cooler expensive light does (and maybe even better, considering my needs).

However, if that doesn't help, go with the CPF mantra and... BUY BOTH!! :lolsign:

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF A.K.A Caothic Paypal Future. This smilies need a vacation,:takeit::paypal::sold:. Hang in the Custom B/S/T and yu'll soon start using:wow::drool::broke::banghead::bow:.Welcome to the wallet drain...you've been warned

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a hobby of mine, so my needs aren't the only things considered for me. That makes it tougher because now wants/desires are in the picture and I want so many different ones. Probably the one thing that limits what I buy (not how many) is my funds for such hobbies. So I don't buy super pricey lights. But there are so many lower priced ones that are very good available these days. For a while I was so overwhelmed with the frequent and numerous offerings that I stayed away from CPF for a while (partially also because I've been overloaded at work) and focused more on my knives which have lower and less frequent introductions of newer/better products. In the end, I use my sense of where I'm at financially and the other financial responsibilities in my life to judge what I should and shouldn't buy. I think I've done well with my purchases, but I do have way more lights than I have uses for.

eravau

Newly Enlightened
I too am living with a limited buget. I probably should just focus on what I can afford without putting any more debt on the credit card. That would make sense...and give me some guidelines. As for what I need vs. what I want...that's not always an easy distinction. The imagination tries to fill in the "everyday scenarios" where I get stuck in a large, locked, windowless building for days on end...so I need a very bright light that can be in my pocket at all times and last for days. ;)

But truthfully, I probably should just focus on something like the P1D-CE...which would be within my Christmas gift money budget...unlike the CR2 Ion XT. I just know I'm going to want the Ion XT once it comes out in a "cheaper" non-titanium version.

*sigh* Just have to force myself to look away from what I can't afford.

jsr: Knives are something I also like to look at. But I've managed to keep from getting in over my head there and have only bought what I will use...instead of the beautiful $1,000 knives that I'd be afraid to take out of their cases.

In general, for knives and lights, I tend to like ones that are so small that they can always be carried without notice...or for around the house, ones that are so big you couldn't miss them with your eyes closed.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there era. Don't do as I do - but you may want to try what I'm suggesting...don't put your lights on plastic...unless you're getting a light STRICTLY for personal safety/defense, desire, want, passing interest...reasons.

Kinda Kidding, eravau, but try not to pay twice what a light's worth with plastic interest.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Eravau. You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgable and hopelessly addicted people here! :)

One thing that has helped me tremendously is being able to walk into a store where they allow their lights to be demonstrated and compared. Another way to get some "sobriety" in this hobby is to attend a CPF get-together where you can usually compare lights and get a good idea of what will work for you. Buying a light purely based upon specs and it's marketing buzz can be either a rewarding or iffy experience depending on your expectations.

Lastly, check out flashlightreviews.com and ledmuseum.org. They're both excellent resources and the next best thing to seeing the lights in person.

Good luck and have fun!

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot's of good advice. Keep reading and surely read reviews,and opinions (beamshots and runtime charts are available!).

If you buy a CR2 ION ( have several including an original Ti and now a Ti Cree ordered)
the value will hold and generally you can recoup money for another purchase. Any of McGizmo's lights will hold value, are extremely useful and really "tough". HDS made extremely popular, bright, multi level lights. TnC lights and certainly ModaMag's are excellent lights. MilkSpits and MillerMods are highly regarded modders. Surefire, Peak, Fenix all make very nice and varied "production" lights.

Custom lights, if researched, can be bought used and often are very good value (my opinion).

As you can tell, I've experience most and my wallet proves...........good luck and have fun!!

jeffb

eravau

Newly Enlightened
Well guys, thanks for the welcome and the support. It's nice to have so much info available here...making it easy to find out about maybe more than you ever thought you wanted to know about flashlights.

-Eravau (addict in training)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gday eravau

I know how hard it is to control your urges (just had to pull the trigger on the CR2 Ion XT). I'll be honest, I am not the person to be giving you advice on self control when it comes to purchasing flashlights.
But try your best not to drain your bank account in the first week! :)

batman

Enlightened
My motto: Less is more. You really only need 3 to 5 flashlights to have more than you will ever need no matter what profession your'e in.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! Batman, what's happened to you? Heretical troll!! Ban him! I really NEED all 50+ of my lights. Only 3 - 5 wouldn't provide the precise application of the exact light for the particular job. In fact, even now there are gaps in the precision of lighting coverage that I demand. Poor, poor soul, may you be saved. :(

Let's get a collection together so Batman can receive appropriate therapy.

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha! Im with Batman here.
I dont seem to have a high flashlight-need either.. so far i only bought 2 (yes, two.. TWO!!) flashlights. A Fenix L2T and a Photon Freedom Max.
Been eyeing the L2P first, then heard of the L2T coming out and waited it out.. bought it pretty soon after it came out.
Bought a few smallish lights in between (2 x E1, as gifts.. few photon copys, Chinese Police 2x123A light for the car), but nothing serious.
But well.. i got a few factors going for me that help me keeping my cash in my wallet... like not living in the usa (high prices/high shipping costs), being a thriftily buyer and being low on cash anway. :)

(now, why does the title under my nick say "Unenlightened"? Mmmh.. :laughing: )

Latest posts