Inova XO - bargain!

Buffalohump

Enlightened
[I don't know if this is in the right place but if mods want to move it to reviews, feel free]

My Inova X0 arrived today from Lighthound and I think this is a real cool little light and something of a bargain for $39. I also have the original X0 and the X5 so I will compare it to those two lights. (Yeah, it's confusing, two lights with the same name. Don't know why they didn't call the new one the X1... oh wait, hang on... :) ). Anyway, this new one is generally referred to as the 'XO with new reflector', not really a catchy handle but there you have it...

For a start, the new X0 is quite a bit smaller than the original. The body diameter is precisely the same as the X5. At 12cm the X5 is a tad shorter though, but not much, with the X0 coming in at just over 13cm.

The light comes standard with two Duracell CR123a's, so if you deduct the standard charge of around $1,50 for a cell, you are paying $37 for the light, ex shipping.

Which in my book makes this a real good buy, if you are in the market for a reasonably priced light that still delivers big time on performance.

The output of this thing is up there with the XO but IMO the beam is far more useful, as it sacrifices the excellent throw of the original for a far more floody beam pattern. Not that its shabby in the throw department. For all intents and purposes you can light up an area that is 15 - 20 metres away no problemo. I know this won't satisfy the throw junkies but bear in mind this is a GP light intended for the mass market. There is a very large hot spot with plenty of side spill. The tint is also beautifully white - I cannot see any tint of any kind in mine, and that goes for the original XO I have as well.

Oh, and did I mention the runtime? Around 5 hours on a fresh pair. Not bad at all.

Like other Inova lights, the X0 certainly doesn't FEEL like a mass market item and I think that's what I really like about this company. The light is very well made, has a beautifully simple design, works perfectly and, delivers exactly what it is meant to do.

OK, but what about the nit picky things? Well, for now there's only one, and others have commented on this as well. The new lights appear to have a much tougher spring in the momentary switch, which means you really have to bear down on rubber nipple to get the light to come on.

Mine has already improved in the few hours I have had the light so I'm hoping it is just stiff and will loosen further with time. It is definitely stiffer than both my X5 and the original XO. Not sure why this is but it's a pity they saw fit to change something which certainly wasn't broke in the first place. The twisty action is very easy to work though, even with one hand, so the momentary switch hiccup is not as big a bummer as you imagine. Of course, those wanting the light for tactical usage might well disagree. But I would imagine such individuals will have far greater hand strength than me and probably wouldn't even notice any stiffness. :grin2:

Another nice little addition is a wrist lanyard of the type usually found on digital cameras. I say nice, because I was looking for one of these for my Wolf Eyes 9DX and hey presto it works perfectly. I made one of my usual paracord lanyards for the X0 so it was no loss to transfer the lanyard to another light. WE 9 series owners, take note!

If anyone is in the market for a cheap and well-made LED light that can do duty for any number of purposes, look no further than the 'X0 with new reflector'. Apart from the confusing nomenclature and stiff nipple, its a winner!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buffalohump said:
[I don't know if this is in the right place but if mods want to move it to reviews, feel free]

My Inova X0 arrived today from Lighthound and I think this is a real cool little light and something of a bargain for $39. I also have the original X0 and the X5 so I will compare it to those two lights. (Yeah, it's confusing, two lights with the same name. Don't know why they didn't call the new one the X1... oh wait, hang on... :) ). Anyway, this new one is generally referred to as the 'XO with new reflector', not really a catchy handle but there you have it...

For a start, the new X0 is quite a bit smaller than the original. The body diameter is precisely the same as the X5. At 12cm the X5 is a tad shorter though, but not much, with the X0 coming in at just over 13cm.

The light comes standard with two Duracell CR123a's, so if you deduct the standard charge of around $1,50 for a cell, you are paying $37 for the light, ex shipping.

Which in my book makes this a real good buy, if you are in the market for a reasonably priced light that still delivers big time on performance.

The output of this thing is up there with the XO but IMO the beam is far more useful, as it sacrifices the excellent throw of the original for a far more floody beam pattern. Not that its shabby in the throw department. For all intents and purposes you can light up an area that is 15 - 20 metres away no problemo. I know this won't satisfy the throw junkies but bear in mind this is a GP light intended for the mass market. There is a very large hot spot with plenty of side spill. The tint is also beautifully white - I cannot see any tint of any kind in mine, and that goes for the original XO I have as well.

Oh, and did I mention the runtime? Around 5 hours on a fresh pair. Not bad at all.

Like other Inova lights, the X0 certainly doesn't FEEL like a mass market item and I think that's what I really like about this company. The light is very well made, has a beautifully simple design, works perfectly and, delivers exactly what it is meant to do.

OK, but what about the nit picky things? Well, for now there's only one, and others have commented on this as well. The new lights appear to have a much tougher spring in the momentary switch, which means you really have to bear down on rubber nipple to get the light to come on.

Mine has already improved in the few hours I have had the light so I'm hoping it is just stiff and will loosen further with time. It is definitely stiffer than both my X5 and the original XO. Not sure why this is but it's a pity they saw fit to change something which certainly wasn't broke in the first place. The twisty action is very easy to work though, even with one hand, so the momentary switch hiccup is not as big a bummer as you imagine. Of course, those wanting the light for tactical usage might well disagree. But I would imagine such individuals will have far greater hand strength than me and probably wouldn't even notice any stiffness. :grin2:

Another nice little addition is a wrist lanyard of the type usually found on digital cameras. I say nice, because I was looking for one of these for my Wolf Eyes 9DX and hey presto it works perfectly. I made one of my usual paracord lanyards for the X0 so it was no loss to transfer the lanyard to another light. WE 9 series owners, take note!

If anyone is in the market for a cheap and well-made LED light that can do duty for any number of purposes, look no further than the 'X0 with new reflector'. Apart from the confusing nomenclature and stiff nipple, its a winner!
Congrats on your new Inova! I'm an XO junkie, I both versions in all colors... My old original black XO is my caving friend since it came out. It's one tough son of a ***** you can trust your life on!

LA OZ

Enlightened
I have the new X0 and X5 as well. I love them both and would not want to sell them. Many Fenix lights have come and gone in a matter of week.

Marlite

Enlightened
Buffalohump said:

Buffalo Hump:

I confess that I have taken this out of context by paragraph and sentence. I did not change anything other than to highlight in blue. I thought the veiled content it was hilarious! I mean no harm to this Buffalo Humps' close relationship with his new XO no doubt a code name also, which was easily cracked.

Hi Buffalo Hump

You will have a hard time convincing me this time that Buffalo Hump is a noun after this post. I'm glad you "like" your new flashlight? :sssh::whistle:

You're still a good sport, :lolsign:
Cheers, Marlite

Danbo

Enlightened
I've got one of the new reflector style XOs, and I love it. Since I bought my new Surefire L5, the XO hasn't seen a lot of EDC work, but I'll still not sell or trade the XO. It's a quality light, for not a lot of money, that's for sure.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Marlite said:
Hi Buffalo Hump

You will have a hard time convincing me this time that Buffalo Hump is a noun after this post. I'm glad you "like" your new flashlight? :sssh::whistle:

You're still a good sport, :lolsign:
Cheers, Marlite

Well, I'm glad somebody actually took the time to read the damn thing... :laughing:

Yeah, I take a fair bit of flak for my handle, the weird thing is, I never even thought about it in that context until someone made a pointed comment about the handles on CPF getting a bit out of hand, and I wondered what the hell the meant... you just gotta think of it in the Native American context (Sitting Bull, Rain in the Face, Crazy Horse, etc) and you'll be OK...

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
B-hump, good writeup. I also like my new version of the Inova XO with the reflector. It's been downsized and has a very useful beam. Having said that, I would never part with my older version of the Inova XO with the optic. Durble like a tank and the throw is quite good.

dim

Enlightened
The Inova X5, regardless of whether one calls it a flood or, like me, calls it a big, soft, fuzzy spot, is, of course, a GREAT near field flashlight and is excellent for task work and other general uses provided that one doesn't need much throw.

How do the X5 (CS) and the XO (ref) compare to one another for near and medium field type work? - As a navigation flashlight? - For EDC? - Etc... Among the two, for those who have both, the newest versions of the XO and X5, which flashlight do you prefer and why?

dim

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Great writeup! I have a love hate thing with my XO. I love the beam, run time and build quality. I HATE the momentary switch, and that's how I use my flashlights 98% of the time. It's a great light for constant illumination such as when walking the dog etc., but most of the times I grab another light because of the momentary switch problem. Too bad, I could have easily become a Inova junkie but I don't want to throw money at lights that don't fit my "momentary" style of use. I also tend to avoid lights with reverse clickies for the same reason....just doesn't fit the bill for me.

Stereodude said:
FYI: You can buy the X02 (original X0) for $23 or $24 at most Costco stores.

Well, not exactly "most" Costco stores. I checked all three in the Kansas City area to no avail. Finally tracked them down at a store in south St. Louis and made my sister (who lives there) drive over and pick up a couple for me. At that price, why not? I had tried to give the guy a credit card, but of course Costco's weird payment policies prevented that. So my sister had to roll.

The X02 is the reincarnation of the original (big) X0, and should be a nice upgrade. All the stock that store had (and they apparently had TONS) was black. No titanium colored versions.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
dim said:
The Inova X5, regardless of whether one calls it a flood or, like me, calls it a big, soft, fuzzy spot, is, of course, a GREAT near field flashlight and is excellent for task work and other general uses provided that one doesn't need much throw.

How do the X5 (CS) and the XO (ref) compare to one another for near and medium field type work? - As a navigation flashlight? - For EDC? - Etc... Among the two, for those who have both, the newest versions of the XO and X5, which flashlight do you prefer and why?

dim

I have the older X5 so I can't really help you but IMO the new X0 is the one to go for. It offers both throw and a floody beam, whereas the X5 just has the latter. The X5 is still a great light though, due to its small dimensions and fantastic runtime. I have no problem with having one of each. I will always hang on to my X5, because it was the first LED light I bought.

Weylan

Enlightened
Any ideas if the X0 at costco can take Rechargable CR123a cells or do you have to use primary 123a cells?

Weylan said:
Any ideas if the X0 at costco can take Rechargable CR123a cells or do you have to use primary 123a cells?

From my understanding, the Costco special is for the X02, not the X0. That means it's the same body dimensions as the ORIGINAL X0. The new X0 is the same size as the ORIGINAL X5, and this one is NOT on sale at Costco. Confused yet? :grin2: