L0D or LOP SE, which one is better?

Martini

Enlightened
It's not the extra modes you should look at; it's the fact that the L0D is constant current. That means no flickering at lower levels. Easily worth the $5.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, there L0D is still PWM (there was some early speculation it would be constant current). My EDC is the L0PSE, and have no interest in the L0D since I don't find the extra stobe/sos modes particularly useful on a low intensity light. That being said, strobe can be useful on brighter lights with good runtime (ever have a racoon in your attic? Helps discourage nocturnal visits).

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
I suspect that the extra two modes (strobe and SOS) of the LOD are of limited utility for most people. IMHO, the biggest selling point of the LOD over LOP SE is that the LOD can handle a wider voltage range (0.8-3.7V). This means that it can be powered with a 3.7V rechargeable LiIon cell. I don't have the LOD but I would imagine that little light is a real screamer when stoked with a cell of that type. If you don'tplan on hot rodding your light in this manner and will be sticking with conventional Alkys, NiMH or primary (disposable) lithium cells, the LOP SE is a better value. Not to mention the fact that you won't have to cycle through two extraneous modes you probably don't really need anyway.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will go for the LOD due to it is 3 watter.
3 watter is whiter than 1 watter ( LOP SE ) despite the lumens rating.
On data sheet the LOp SE looks better but LOD with li-ion 3.7v ?
Definately a screamer just like my JetBeam MK-I on li-ion 3.7v almost equal to my Nuwai 5 watter ( ALX-352-L ) on AW 17670 cell.

Martini

Enlightened
selfbuilt said:
Yes, there L0D is still PWM (there was some early speculation it would be constant current).
Oops. :ohgeez: Sorry about that. Well, I suppose the only edge the L0D would hold for me is that it comes in natural.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
nanotech17 said:
3 watter is whiter than 1 watter ( LOP SE ) despite the lumens rating.

Hmmm ... my experience doesn't quite jive with that. 3 watters run off 2xAA or 1xCR123 are typically very white, but seem more likely to accentuate a green-yellowish tint when underpowered on 1xAA. I would think the same would hold for 1xAAA.

As for the 3.7V lithiun ion rechargeables, I agree that should give you a lot more brightness (assuming you can find such a battery - not common on the AAA form factor). But again, if history holds, the lower brightness modes are likely to disappear. For me the advantage of this light is its multiple modes, especially the low ones. I can run a 14500-AA, or RCR123, if I want a screaming bright single stage light.

Still, all things being equal, I see no reason not to get a L0D over a L0PSE ... but I would still go the L0PSE as long as the price is less.

EDIT: judging from this thread, looks like all modes are available on Li-ion in L0D: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/145543

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i fully agree with selfbuilt when he said:

"...3 watters...seem more likely to accentuate a green-yellowish tint when underpowered..."

i have found this to definitely be true.
when run at 400 mA or less (or when used with a 2-stage system), i MUCH prefer a 1-watter.
if run at higher mA (+/- 750) all the time, then the 3-watter is fine.