128 LED Chinese.

slurp812

Newly Enlightened
I am a n00b here, but a flashlight/lightbulb freak for years. Just picked up a Chinese 128 led flashlight. The aluminum case seems of really good quality. I havent dropped it yet tho! It is VERY bright for an LED flashlight, but its got 128! It was ~$24 USD total from ebay. I took some things apart, and did some measurements, calculations, ETC. With a freash set of 4 AA batteries , LED's were dropping 3.08 volts, and ~3.6 across the single 5.0 1% resistor. wich figgured to be about 5ma per LED. What you think of these cheapo Chinese flashlights?

iced_theater

Enlightened
Very bright for the money. I have a 118 led version, I took out the resistor and run it direct drive. Overall output it's brighter than all of my other lights. I sometimes think about putting in high output Nichia led's in place and have a 500 plus lumen light.

slurp812

Newly Enlightened
iced_theater said:
Very bright for the money. I have a 118 led version, I took out the resistor and run it direct drive. Overall output it's brighter than all of my other lights. I sometimes think about putting in high output Nichia led's in place and have a 500 plus lumen light.

Any idea on how much current is being drawn from the bettery without a resistor? How long batteries last? I was thinking about putting a 2 ohm in place of the 5 thats in mine. Oh is yours a 4 aa, or a 3 d version?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting if you get better performance with NiMH (less internal battery resistance) and e^2 lithium (more voltage and less resistance).

slurp812

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
It would be interesting if you get better performance with NiMH (less internal battery resistance) and e^2 lithium (more voltage and less resistance).

Of course, espicialy with no resistor, but batteries wouldnt last long. My first set of alkalines are down to 1.3 volts apice , and I just put them in two days ago. I added ~2.3 ohms to the 5 thats in there, so its about 7.3 ohms now. Shows no noticable difference in brighness, but will gave me a bit more run time...

iced_theater

Enlightened
slurp812 said:
Any idea on how much current is being drawn from the bettery without a resistor? How long batteries last? I was thinking about putting a 2 ohm in place of the 5 thats in mine. Oh is yours a 4 aa, or a 3 d version?

I have no idea, if I knew how to use an ohm meter correctly I'd do it and let you know. I have the 4aa version, I'm sure the batteries don't last very long at all though.

slurp812

Newly Enlightened
:lolsign:
OKl thanks. I want a bit more run time, its plenty bright enough...

iced_theater said:
I have no idea, if I knew how to use an ohm meter correctly I'd do it and let you know. I have the 4aa version, I'm sure the batteries don't last very long at all though.