I received a threat

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you do a reverse look up of the phone number?

If you can you might want to call and ask for MR.X...probably has a kid that thought spooking someone would be funny...but the dad might not find it that funny.

Ken

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
im i correct in assuming you do not know who this is? maybe you could call as a telemarketer, or possibly have somone trace it. it probably isn't serious, but it is always best to make sure.

actually, i'm kind of jealous, i would love to get a threat (life is so boring)

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Ok, it wasn't a Halloween thing, cos that would have been 2 days ago (remember Aust is ahead of the US) and plus we don't celebrate Halloween to that extent here.

The attempted call was with blocked number, but when they sent the message, it had to have a "from" number. Thus they unintentionally gave me their number. I did call the number at 6am, with my number blocked, (woke the person) a male voice answered that I did not recognise. I didn't say anything, just hung up after 5 sec.

I will be taking it up with the phone co to see they can do. Thanks all.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
In the jurisdiction where I work all you have to do is "feel threatened" and be able to point us in the direction of a possible suspect.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Around here (Texas by GOD!) we say "if you got the balls baby bring it on!"

To think there are folks who would like to do to the USA what's been done to England and Australia.

They can have my guns. Bullets first!

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I received a somewhat disturbing threat via SMS on my mobile phone today. It was followed by a call 1 min later, but I was asleep as this was near midnight. This is the first time it's ever happened to me and as far as I know I don't have any enemies, and to me it's not in the 'practical joke' category. Plus I don't give out my phone number that easily.

I took the threat seriously, when to the police, but even though I had the number of the person who sent me the message, they said they won't do anything as I haven't been physically harmed or my property been damaged. Told me not to worry about it.

Not to worry?! Maybe I won't have to if I lived in a country that allowed me to protect myself. But here it's darn near impossible to be armed, even less so for the use of it against another human being regardless of situation/intention.

So what am I supposed to do? This is so screwed up!
frown.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it have been some sort of (warped) halloween joke ?

If the person was going to act on the threat I don't think they would be so stupid as to let you have their number.

Did you call try calling the number ?

guncollector

Enlightened
Onyx-

Sorry to hear this. While I know nothing of the Aussie legal system, here's what I'd do in the U.S.

1) Save the message text on my phone, print it out if at all possible. Get a printed copy of the threat on FILE with the police and demand to FILE a report with it.

2) Report the individual, with menacing text and verbal threat to your mobile phone service provider, and request they investigate. If known individuals are using their system to make illegal threats (text or voice), they had better take appropriate sanctions against the perpetrators--or suffer potential liability (see below).

The point of the above it not that you're going to get any immediate results--and you might not even sleep any better. But, if heavan forbid, something occurs or "nearly-occurs" to you, you will have some possible legal/financial recourse against the Police Dept. and phone company.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I have the Power and Authority, I would do an Evocation of Judgement, with the provison "If harm of any type was intended." I would do nothing else, as it is then out of my hands. I have done this several times and it works every time. I limit this sort of thing to Malice Aforethought instances.

None of you need believe this, and most will brush me off as a nutcase. If Mr. Bulk has encounter even one Real Kahuna, he will know exactly what I speak of.