CPF, the urge to buy more flashlights, and you

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Friends-

many of us have mentioned in one post or another that this forum has caused them to spend much more time and money on this common hobby of ours than we would otherwise have done. What is it in a forum that so much reinforces a personal urge that might be quite weak on its own?

it would be really interesting, I think, to document that effect! Please describe how it worked with you. Are you buying more, less, or the same, when compared to your purchase behavior before joining CPF? What is YOUR purchase data?

Here is mine. I normally spend approximately $50-75 per year in buying flashlights (2 to 3 a year), most of them for camping, sailing or backpacking. I joined CPF early August this year, while doing research on a LED flashlight to go ultralight backpacking. Since that time, I have bought approximately 15 flashlights of different types plus some accessories, and spent about $450 in the process.

So, if I round up my previous behavior to $50 per 6 months and the time spent since my joining to 6 months, I am now spending $450/50 = 9 times more money than I used to on flashlights - and a lot more time...

Thank god I did not join a automotive forum:)

What about you?

Best - Michel

rlhess

Enlightened
There seems to be several factors for me:

(1) Knowledge about the latest, coolest lights--realizing that Mag lights aren't the end-all.

(2) Finding special-purpose lights that solve unique problems. I've been pulling out my E2e a LOT recently.

(3) Wanting to compare one light to the next

(4) The camaraderie of the group encourages you to get one. "I just got this new light you should check it out, too." Then you can talk about it.

(5) Peer pressure...at least once when I've questioned the need for a light, I've been told, "just get it, after all you're a CPF member." OF course, that's in jest (sort of).

Cheers,

Richard

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Already been buying flashlights all my life and in all likelihood would have continued anyway. But if it weren't for my enlightenment (intended) here at CPF, they'd all still be junky ones.

Did inspire me to jump into modding, though. And never would have met helpful mod gurus like Lambda, Wayne(s), McGizmo, etc. neither.

A great place. They even let me be Member #1. Who could ask for anything more?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent $448 on flashlights, since I joined CPF. That's just a couple of months, at most! Learning about quality lights made the difference.

Note, the above amount includes LED replacement bulbs.

My quest for good LED lights led me here and the wealth of information and decent people encouraged me to take the plunge on new technology.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
They even let me be Member #1. Who could ask for anything more?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea, how in the world did you manage to be the first member?
shocked.gif
I would have thought David would have been first. And you only have 289 posts, you need to start typing so you can catch up with Darell.
grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
While it's true that Mags aren't the end-all these days....

I have and have tweaked so many of them that I can safely say they aren't ALL bad.

My most recent Mag is a 2C (which I intended to 3 or 4 123a - but cost considerations make me think not) has two Rayovac Alky Cs, and a Mag Magnum Star Xenon 2C/2D bulb, tweaked to very nearly perfectly centered is a pretty bright little sucker. And cute too in Silver!

And just for a hoot I changed my 3D back to 3D with a Xenon 3cell bulb 'tweaked'. Very tight round beam and pretty bright.

Biggest problem I see with Mags, 1: Smooth reflector (Are you listening Mr. Mag?) and 2: They are too pretty to toss in my trucks side pocket or in one of the toolbox doors, plastic body stuff does that chore.

Only thing that really changed for me since joining CPF, I learned of Princeton Tech, ARC, and several other brands. And bought PT 40, PT Attitude, and ARC AAA. STILL find myself buying cheap lights mostly (looking for that diamond in the rough!)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, for me, it has mainly introduced me into modding and possibly saved me money from buying many crap lights. and spend money on the ones i really want, instead of junky ones that brake. also discovered the arc aaa, and don't know how i lived without it, if you don't have 1 (at least) then get one (at least).

as far as mr bulk being member number 1, some time ago, cpf crashed, and mr. bulk was the first one to post once it came back up. thus giving him the enviable position of member number 1

Monsters_Inc

Banned
It started off as preparation for a camping trip.
I had an eveready adjustable focus from way back, it started to rust and the lens had a crack from long time ago, so I was looking to mod it to LED.

Was looking for an LED flashlight as well, just for the new tech/coolness factor. Saw the Lightwave 2000 and 4000 in a shop one day. However they are prohibitively expensive in Aust and don't produce much more light than a 2xAA $3 Kmart special. So I figured stick to an incandescent.

Mag was the only brand I knew of then, made in USA (yea, American pride!
tongue.gif
). Got a 2D cheap, 50% off. Disappointed with the light, modded it to 3C. Tried 4 diff bulb types, not much diff.

Due to CPF discovered CR123's. Sold the 2D (lost only $3.45) and bought a 2C, modded to 3x123.

Somewhere along the way bought a Mag AA too, just cos everyone has one, but I didn't. Will consider Opaltec alternative sometime in future.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Well, lets see.
Before I joined, I purchased mostly incandescent lights. Neat ones though.

Since I saw my first blue led, I was enamored.
I found Don's LED page and Craig's review board.
Based off that, purchased a Tektite 14.
Then I wanted something more portable.
Looked at Craig's site and found the Arc Le.
In the process of buying that, I found the link to this board on Arc's site.
I lurked for a while and then registered (in Aug 2002).

Since then, I have purchased:
2 Arc Le
1 Arc UV
1 Lambda Illuminator
1 Opec Newbeam
1 LGI

I have signed up for another LGI and some Dat2zip pills. And if I can bring myself to buy it, I want a X990.
I also am going to get some Luxeons and do some modding on a very expensive donor.
But that's all. I'll stop there.......or soon after......

So, in summary, my previous habit of $30~$60 a year has turned into that much a month or more.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my lights, probably around 90 now, were bought since I found CPF, about a year ago. I don't know the total cost, but there aren't many cheap ones. But I probably spend a lot less on flashlights than people that still somke spend on cigarettes (which I gave up 1 1/2 yrs ago). TX

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perplexment...
icon15.gif

I still do not understand my own obsession with things that light up.
blush.gif

Having been on CPF a little less than 2 years, my own collection of various lights has gone from about 25 before CPF, and is probably something around 100 or so. -Not TOO bad..
rolleyes.gif

-At least, being a light junkie is cheaper than collecting guns-which I used to have an obsession with..

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a lot cheaper than staying on my older forum. Tundrasolutions.com I spent 3500 on my truck !!!!

But I do agree with a lot of you are saying, this is the only useful hobby I can think of. Since joining CPF, my flashlight buying choices have been smarter, no more buying crookneck flashlights, maglights, and the Sears Oscillating flashlight ( what was I thinking! ). I have always spent money on lights, now I just make better choices. I found this site from Craig's site, I thought I was the only person out there like this! Good to know there are more hard core flash light people.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Beeing on a vey tight budget, I've managed my collection to be as small as 4 lights worth mentioning... (not counting fun lights like the Sauce Washer,etc.)

Arc LE
Lambda Illuminator
PALight Survivor
Infinity (yellow)

For longer distances I'm limited to the Osram Halogen Star.

Hopefully in the near future expanded with a KLx (with suitable donor...
grin.gif
and TacLite Triad...)

Kirk

Enlightened
Hello!
I've been playing with flashlights and batteries and bulbs for most of my 45 years. Before I "found" CPF, I was seriously starting to collect antique and vintage flashlights and lamps. Since CPF, I've gotten 3 Surefires, a Scorpion, a Legend LX, an Inova X5T, a CMG Infinity, a Pelican Stealthlite, a PT Surge, a couple of Radio Shack and Eveready fluorescents, a Brinkmann Longlife and Rebel, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others! I hate to admit, I don't have an Arc, yet.
blush.gif
I hang my head in shame! I still buy the vintage stuff when I can, but the new stuff is more "practical"; I don't worry about dropping them because they can be replaced. Try that with something 75 years old! Man....I got's it BAD!
grin.gif

Kirk

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to be I'd spend 10-30$'s a year, mainly batteries. Just figured it out on paper. Over $250 since getting turned on to this site. But man am I ever prepared. Anything from finding that quarter that you dropped while sitting at the toll both late at night to weathering out a blackout during a storm, to scanning some property due to a "bump" in the night. And it's not all expensive "quality" lights either. Some knock off keychain LED's, cheapies with decent performance, bulk battery buys. Geez it never ends! But it is a helluva lot cheaper than when I collected guns.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
How has my buying habits changed since finding CPF? well, let's see:

LED torches before CPF:

1 Inova Microlight (my first LED, an impulse buy @ CompUSA) - $10

1 Nightstar "shakelight" - $40

1 PALight - $20

total: $70

After CPF (so, since Sept):

2 modded lights by Silviron - $60

1 modded light by Elektrolumens - $80

1 CMG Ultra G - $20

2 Pelican L1s - $20

1 Photon III - $20

1 Lightwave 4000 - $40

total: $240

LED torches I've bought as gifts after finding CPF:

1 PALight - $20

1 Photon III - $20

1 Opalec drop-in - $25

total: $65

Total amount spent before CPF: $70

Total amount spent after CPF: $305

All values are approximate

--Scrimmy

JackBlades

Enlightened
You freaks ruined my LIFE!
I am into knives, most recently building a small collection of Microtechs (>6K$).....and somewhere some sadistic sucker posted a link to this place!
So let me take this opportunity to say thanks, and now we can all watch my sig-line grow as my new-found addiction tries to take me to the poorhouse!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jackblades, Ha Ha another one hooked
smile.gif

It works both ways, I followed a link to USN and now I want to buy so many of those cool knives (those Emerson's are a work of art)

And by the looks of things a knife habit is way more expensive than a flashlight fetish
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
4th August 2002
Princeton Tec Surge = $88

27th August 2002
Princeton Tec Tec40 Black = $36
Reflector for MiniMag 2AA = $5
Clear Lens for MiniMag 2AA = $4
Lanyard for MiniMag 2AA = $3

10th September 2002
Whitestar Maglite 3C/3D bulb = $3.80
Black Infinity Task Light = $29
Glass Lens for MiniMag 2AA 22.5mm = $10 (local watch shop)

13th October 2002
Energizer Double Barrel 6AA = $32

16th October 2002
Maglite 2AA holster = $2
Mag Charger bulb = $12

Total so far: $224.8 SGD

OMG!!! LOOK AT WHAT YOU GUYS COST ME!!!!

And I am still thinking should I get the Arc AAA from hotfoot for $75... kinda ex....

nah, should just save up for either the W/A Solarc or maybe the X990.... Anyone wants a 10 watt 500 lumens HID light? Wonder if I can over-drive it.... he he...