Fenix P1D custom clickie body, interested?

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
When I ordered my P1D CE I started plans for a body with a clickie switch. My plan was to use a surefire clickie. I've been busy lately and haven't got around to having one made, but then I saw this thread and got me thinking again.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144882

This is almost EXACTLY what I had planned. It seems like there are a lot of people who would like to have one made.

One of my good friends owns a machining shop. I had him look at the P1D CE and the surefire Z57 today. To give me a price on building some custom bodies some he needs to know how many people would be interested and at what price.

If you're interested, please post. Also put the price you'd be willing to pay. Please do not post unless your serious. I need a pretty acurate count to give him. Please remember this is what he does to feed his family, not a hobby. He has to make some money off this.

For the body I'll probably go as simple as possible. Probably just a round AL tube.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of the type of custom work he does.

This one is not finished in this pic. It's a chain link for a piece of heavy equipment that broke down on the job. It needed to be fixed in a hurry.

tracklink006.jpg

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could also have one made that would use the less expensive Kroll switch, that might get more people interested.

It isnt as good of a switch as the Z57, but it only costs $5

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
Nothing is set in stone. I just have a few Z57s that I showed him. I do not have a kroll.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kroll threads into the tail end of the MiniMaglite battery tube, so if you have one, you can duplicate the threads.

I would be interested if it were priced under $30.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
wotblake wrote: "One of my good friends owns a machining shop. I had him look at the P1D CE and the surefire Z57 today. To give me a price on building some custom bodies some he needs to know how many people would be interested and at what price."

Sound like an interesting and worthwhile project - I'm not signing up yet -

But just wanted to remind that the P1D-CE does NOT make its electrical connection via the head's threads.....

The electrical contact is made with the conductive ring on the pcb and the inner lip/ledge of the body tube.

Please see post #74 on page 3 of this thread -

Fenix P1D-CE comparison Review (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 )

Mel_PL

Newly Enlightened
wotblake said:
Here is a picture to give you an idea of the type of custom work he does.

This one is not finished in this pic. It's a chain link for a piece of heavy equipment that broke down on the job. It needed to be fixed in a hurry.

Completely OT:
Here's the weakest point (red arrow). Why then the rest is so thick? Pls be very careful if this is to be used with *heavy* things.
tracklink006.jpg

-- M.

kooter

Enlightened
Is there an interest in these bodies being made?? If there is i may be able to make some up. Need some ideas on what you want. Material, knurling, and such.

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
how much? allthough I'd wait for the second batch

Last edited:

kooter

Enlightened
I reckon $40 bucks shipped, depending on design and material. But wotblake said not enough interested. How many want one????

Talas

Newly Enlightened
I'm in up to $50 delivered. How about producing just the battery tube? Then the customer supplies the P1D head and the Z57 switch... which should bring down the cost. Then you'd be able to produce a 2AA tube later on and so forth...

kooter

Enlightened
Talas said:
I'm in up to $50 delivered. How about producing just the battery tube? Then the customer supplies the P1D head and the Z57 switch... which should bring down the cost. Then you'd be able to produce a 2AA tube later on and so forth...

It was just the battery tube i was thinking of.

You guys want a 2AA tube too???

Keep em coming, 40 bucks is what im looking at. But if scores of people want em then the price could come down. I just need a P1D CE to get the dimensions from. :ohgeez: Just traded mine too :ohgeez: :ohgeez: :ohgeez: :ohgeez:

Fenris

Enlightened
kooter said:
Is there an interest in these bodies being made?? If there is i may be able to make some up. Need some ideas on what you want. Material, knurling, and such.

This is really none of my business, but don't you think you should have started your own thread instead of jumping in on the OP's ? Trying to make or offer the same thing as he was is fine and all, but trying to do it in his own thread is kind of rude.

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
I have no problem with it. I would rather buy from someone else then going through the trouble of doing it myself. :)