LedLenser's THE BEST ???

dingbat

Newly Enlightened
your thoughts on led lenser torches , are they worth the big $$$ ??? do they put Maglite an the rest to shame ??? I've read that Led-Lenser's flagship model the V2 GIGA chip rechargable EXTREME Beam is the most powerfull torch of it's size on the planet ??? thats an Extreme statement !!! is it true ?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! sit back, relax, get some coffee, and read a bit the led and the custom forums, you will find a lot of information.

AlexGT

dingbat

Newly Enlightened
AlexGT said:
Welcome to CPF! sit back, relax, get some coffee, and read a bit the led and the custom forums, you will find a lot of information.

AlexGT

thankyou for warm welcome Alex , got the miss's puttin a pot on now:thumbsup:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, digbat!

To make a long story short, all that is probably marketing hype on LedLenser's part. They are not the worse out there, but there are certainly lights that are much, much better for the same price (and even lower).

If you haven't yet, spend some time on ledmuseum.org and flashlightreviews.com to learn more about what good really lights are out there.

In the mean time, think about what you are going to use your new light for. That'll help you choose what's right for your needs as you examine all the choices available.

dingbat

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome's and the links fella's , ain't that an eye opener on the hype surrounding Ledlenser Marketers ! wow I just purchased a V2 GIGA hope its as good as they say ...would'a thought twice if I had of know about this forum , an got this info sooner ...ohwell I'I see when I get it ...will it be what its cracked up to be ? great forum glad to be here

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a couple, won't buy another. Nuff said. If you want the real deal, you'll
find it here! Welcome!

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
dingbat said:
your thoughts on led lenser torches , are they worth the big $$$ ??? do they put Maglite an the rest to shame ??? I've read that Led-Lenser's flagship model the V2 GIGA chip rechargable EXTREME Beam is the most powerfull torch of it's size on the planet ??? thats an Extreme statement !!! is it true ?

I have the 16 led "extreme" flashligtht (3 C cells). It isn't super bright but the build quality is very good for the most part.In the tailcap instead of a spring there is a very stiffly spring-mounted metal peg. My only beef with the light is that whatever metal they used around the led's has discolored. And there's no lens to protect the led's.
They've also got a 3 watt (also 3 C cells) available in silver & black that I've been salivating over. I just can't justify the $80 every body wants for it.
They've got a 1 watt 2 C cell that looks pretty cool but it's $56

Bottom line : from what I've read here & seen with my light Led Lenser makes great looking lights that aren't as bright as they could be.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Dingbat, I have the Led Lenser Hocus Focus Tactical, It puts all my other 3AAA Led lights to shame, the V Focus 2AA is also worth looking at

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
For whatever reason LEDlenser has a pretty bad reputation on here. Maybe it is because of their somewhat shady marketing strategy. They also seem to love to make very bright direct drive 3AAA lights which are impressive when first turned on but will be dim as a candle within 45 minutes.

I would look into some other manufacturers. Check out Streamlight, Fenix, Lumapower, and Wolf Eyes. All of these make excellent lights for very reasonable prices. They will have 95% of the quality of the super high end lights but will cost less than half the price.

whc

Enlightened
I have been thinking about buying a LED-Lenser V2 TreeA for some time, but after hearing some stories about the flashlight, I have now went for the Hokus focus (known as Police Tech Focus in the US). Here is the good and bad for the V2 LED-Lenser in my opinion:

The Good:
+ High quality lens (97% light passes through)
+ I like the design
+ Relatively compact

The Bad:
- Not weatherproof
- The LED gets to much power reduces the lifetime to 20.000 hours (normal 100.000 hours)
- Build quality, o-rings should break easy, and the lens is not protected
- I have herd that the US versions is with a poor LED quality than the EU version

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I owned a few ledlensers, they all sucked in some way. Either the beam was crap, or the output sucked, or the runtime was short, or the batteries were weird but there was one thing they all had in common: the build quality was absolute crap. I will never waste money on ledlenser products again....

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the Coast (LED Lenser) David 15 for several months and like it. It is a Luxeon LED light powered by one AA battery and features a true momentary/latching pushbutton on the tailcap.

The only problem so far is that the battery contacts became intermittant. I restored proper operation by using spray contact cleaner.

mchlwise

Enlightened
LedLenser makes a decent light, but so do a LOT of people, and they are (in my opinion) FAR from "the best."

A lot about lights depends on your personal preference. Many people like LedLenser's stuff. Personally, I don't like them at all. Take a good look around at all the options and decide what's best for you.

Personal taste aside, there's lots of lights out there that put out as good or better beams than LedLensers.

dingbat

Newly Enlightened
well I've been unable to find even a single Reveiw on the [size=-1]V2 5W Giga Rechargable [/size] checked out flashlight reveiws & an hour searchin = no reveiw of that model :awman:
you guy's seem to have a likeminded disliking for ledlenser's WOW not what I expected at all , I would've expected the exact oppisite ..how wrong I was :grin2:

Gaffle

Enlightened
I think it is funny when they keep throwing out the 24kt gold contacts blah blah blah. Other manufacturers produce lights that work great without releasing lame purchasing points like that. The words make it sound better than it is I gather....:whistle:

I just depend on sites like flashlightreviews to test the lights before I drop $50 on a piece of crap.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, there was an episode of 24 where they used the 5w d cell flashlight... it is bright! anyway... i was at cabelas, and the dimable headlamp is small and really bright.

-david

greenLED

Flashaholic
cheapo said:
well, there was an episode of 24 where they used the 5w d cell flashlight...
You can't trust what is shown on TV.

I loved Quickbeam's translation of their marketing terms:

"Light Chip" = LED, generally this seems to refer to 5mm LEDs "Digital Power Light Chip (DPLC)" = LED, generally seems to refer to 1 Watt or greater

"computer calculated lens" or "strongly focusing axial collimator" or "Light Centering Collimator (LCC)" = collimator lens

"eco-friendly Nickel-hybrid accumulator" = NiMH rechargeable battery

"Power Transformer Technology" = boost circuit

:lolsign:

Last edited: