Looking for Open Source (UnPotted) Lights / Models / Manufacturers

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever Since I have got Cree LED's I am considering myself at a severe disadvantage, reason, Difficulty to open Lux III Lights that I own!

Fenix Civictor (usable light of 4 hours and loooong moon mode), Fenix L2P (very regulated), Fenix L0P (with Cree XR-E, it could be brightest and smallest light that I would have), Peak LED Kinobay .... all very difficult to open easily... Especially the Fenix Civictor.

So from NOW onwards, I am NOT going to buy ANY lights that are NOT openable easily.

So, my question is, which are the lights that I can buy? what are my choices?

I prefer size factors of 1AA, 2AA, 1AAA, 1CR123, 2CR123 only. (rechargeable are of course considered)
It would be great if you could point me to manufacturers links and reviews (if any available)
I request not post duplicate information. This would become as a reference to those who are looking for Cree Friendly lights :)

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
The ultrafire lights have light engines which simply unscrew with no drama.

I think huntlights do also, but I don't have one myself.

Can others please join in? Lets get a good list going. It's always such a bummer to buy a light just for a mod only to realize the host won't open up.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Liteflux LF1. Can be taken apart completely, even though the led-pill IS a pill, it can be screwed out. 1 or 2 AA form factor. See relevant thread on CPF. It is a very nice high quality light, last week I dropped one of mine seven feet onto rough concrete, resulting in only one small scrape/small dent on the bezel.

-Lumapower LM 301-302. Strips down completely. Nice quality. AA form factor.
-Lumapower F1. Luxeon is soldered on to the PCB via the led contacts, rests on a aluminum heatsink pillar, which is anodized, in the middle with some thermal compound under it. Very easy to remove the led. Solid aluminum reflector, glass lens. 1 AA.

-Ultrafire 601 A, with a SEOUL ZLED (star), 2 AA form factor. Plastic lens and reflector. Very easy to take apart completely, the reflector is deep and suitable for CREE X RE, have done some tests with a CREE and I got a nice hotspot and some spill. The reflector is quite good and the lens you can replace. The lens is recessed quite far so its protected very well. I plan to replace the Z-LED star with the new Z-LED P4 star when they show up. You can screw the pill out of the head. From China Quality Goods. Lux output right now is about 1000 (hotspot) with the Z-LED, so it compares well with Luxeon III.
The Ultrafire would be the easiest, just replace the star and adjust the reflector height for focus. The height of the led-pill can be adjusted in height at lest four millimeters in my specimen. Even the reflector hole accepts the CREE's diameter, so no drilling is necessary.
Stefan

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put a cree in the LM301 and it works great, beautiful beam. gonna do 2 more for friends.
A+ Lumapower!