Surefire Luxeons versus Arc LS

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The ARC LS/123 (w/o the tail switch) is smaller than the KL1/E1 and carries better in my pants pocket.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Roy completely if not using a holster. Around the house though I'm finding I use the E1/KL1 more mainly because of the presence of the Surefire tail cap switch. If you want to use the light for a quick burst to check the caller ID or the thermostat setting, you don't want to have to twist the darn tail cap to enable light. Also maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer not having the clip to begin with that you lose when mounting a KL1 to a regular E series body. The E1/KL1 has become my favorite Luxeon light but for everyday pocket carry I suppose for comfort purposes I'd have the give the Arc LS/123 the nod.

Another poll question could be which is your favorite light, the Arc LS or Surefire LS then the Surefire would get my vote.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire Exe has a PocketClip - I couldn't carry a flashlight everyday unless it had a sturdy pocketclip. I also prefer the TailCap pressure switch with it's disable feature.
Another advanage for me is the ability to use high quality incandescent bulbs.

All these are of course practical advantages in my opinion. Perhaps I should also say I can't stand the design style of the Arc LS, and rather love the SureFire E Series Elite - with and without the KL1.

Al

B@rt

Flashaholic
A switch is a huge pro, IMHO...
Much easier and quicker one-handed operation. I'm willing to sacrifice some length advantage for ease of operation... (Plus a clip.)
rolleyes.gif

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
One of my conclusions on this poll so far: Arc buyers wake up earlier:)

(the vote ratio has changed pretty radically in the past few hours...)

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although my E1 w/KL1 is brighter than my Arc LS I like the Arc LS better because it is smaller and much easier to carry in my pocket.

I also like it because I can use 2AA rechargeables if I want, increasing the size to what the E2 w/KL1 is.

The Arc LS is designed to run at 3v and the current 400mA version does this nicely, running for 2.5 hours in regulation were the KL1 @ 3v only runs 1.5 hours in regulation.

The KL1 on an E2 does much better at 6v, running in regulation for up to 4.5 hours. But this is even bigger to carry.

The problem with the E1e is the clip is always in the way so you can't get a good grip on the light without repositioning it & it's very awkward to press the tailcap switch without your fingers getting in the way of the light beam. The E2 is a perfect fit in my hand but again, it's twice the size of the Arc LS.

Wow! The poll is 50/50!
smile.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
I'm with Bart & Size 15.
The tailswitch makes all the difference in the world. Most of the time when I use a flashlight I use it for 2 or 3 seconds. The SF tailswitch is VERY convenient for this. The Arc is a two-hand-twist-all-the-time. Sorry, Peter.---Marc

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MicroE:
I'm with Bart & Size 15.
The tailswitch makes all the difference in the world. Most of the time when I use a flashlight I use it for 2 or 3 seconds. The SF tailswitch is VERY convenient for this. The Arc is a two-hand-twist-all-the-time. Sorry, Peter.---Marc
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The only problem with that is if you use a lock out tail cap. In that case you must use 2 hands to twist on, back off until light goes out, press button for 2-3 seconds, then twist off to lock out.
icon13.gif

With my Arc, one handed, twist...light comes on 2-3 seconds...twist off...light goes out & is locked out.
grin.gif

Banshee

Enlightened
The tail switch give my E2E's the edge over my LS..for now.
Once Peter releases the final Arc Tailswitch versions..that opinion MAY change.

But NOTHING beats the wee little LS for compact size..sometimes it's too small in the 123 mode and I forget it's even with me..

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Sean:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MicroE:
I'm with Bart & Size 15.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The only problem with that is if you use a lock out tail cap. In that case you must use 2 hands to twist on, back off until light goes out, press button for 2-3 seconds, then twist off to lock out.
icon13.gif

With my Arc, one handed, twist...light comes on 2-3 seconds...twist off...light goes out & is locked out.
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed. The trick is to carry the ARC (I EDC the 2AA 95% and the 123 5%) just slightly backed off from "on". Then even that "2-3 seconds" cand be cut in half.

Also, "tactical" position is not appropriate for general flashlight use, especially extended use.

Finally, the ARC AA fits neatly (using some
"tricks") into the MAG AAA holster, a remarkably small and unobtrusive package. The E2e/KL1 is much bulkier.

Brightnorm