Happy National Flashlight Day

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Wow, the flashlight was invented by the Lionel train guy! I'm sure you guys knew that, but it's news to me!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Happy National Flashlight Day!!!! (Dec 21)

Sorry Z. If I had known, I would have sent you a card. Are we getting holiday pay today?

mark

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops, did a search before I posted my thread but Ras' didn't show. Thanks mods for combining.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I added a graphic re: "National Flashlight Day" to my website just before going to bed last night- same thing I did on 12-21-05. :)
Since it's composed of multiple parts enclosed in a table and will not display properly on CPF, let me go grab a screen dump and post that here...BBS...

nfd.jpg

The animation is gone but this should give you a general idea of what I added to my website.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights are going out for a walk tonight! Hope my neighboors don't mind my HID, Happy holidays to all

AlexGT

metalhed

Enlightened
Just a gentle reminder to everyone that while it is 'National Flashlight Day' in the United States (by Presidential decree), it is also, on a practical level, 'World Flashlight Day (Northern Hemisphere.)

While other countries might celebrate a day for flashlights other than today...like in the Southern Hemisphere...practically speaking today is the most obvious one to celebrate our hobby and the invention of flashlights, regardless of where you live.

So I ask you to recognize that darkness recognizes no national boundaries, and to include as many others of our ilk as possible.

And also, remember that June 21-22, 2007 will be 'World Flashlight Day' in the Southern Hemisphere. We don't want to forget all of our southern neighbors, do we? Besides, that way we get two flashlight celebrations each year...sweet.

BTW, my thought was that we could all shine our lights northward tonight, to help out our fellow flashaholics who suffer (or enjoy, I guess) 24 hours a day of darkness. Another kind of 'Northern Lights', if you will. And next summer, we'll even things out by shining them all southward.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
My girlfriend lit some candles at dinner today, to celebrate Yule... I put some lights in candle mode on the dinnertable for flashlight day... we had a well lit dinner, celebrating the flashlight and the return of the light. We're going to do it again next year :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm going to celebrate by "leaving a light on for ya" from sunset to sunrise, all 14hrs and 31 mins.

Not only do we get 14+ hrs of quality dark here in VA,
http://stardate.org/nightsky/riseset/
It is also a new moon today!
http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/
and seriously overcast to boot. It should be seriously pitch black tonight.

I wonder how rare that is?

Now if only I could get my neigbors to turn off those damn streetlight.

Last edited:

h_nu

Enlightened
I was thinking about the new moon and short day all week. The only problem with the cloud cover is that it might keep the skyglow from town visible. I think a clear sky might actually be darker with a new moon since starlight is less than the light pollution.