Which Reflector for the ROP low?

Buckfever

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to try the bulb first using modded stock reflectors to get help get an idea, but I was wondering what you guys like. What's the closest to a Surefire with that bulb? Probably want just enough to kill the artifacts.

oregon

Enlightened
I use the M@G stock reflector on my ROP low. It is terrific and focuses well.

That being said, I have a fivemega dual function cammed metal reflector on the ready line. Check out the "group buys and passarounds" sub-forum via the forum jump at the bottom of the page.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185

All the best,

oregon

VWTim

Enlightened
I too normally use a smooth stock reflector, although I have a Med. orange peel, that's closer to a Light peel. It smooths the beam out a bit more, but I do notice the loss in throw. I've also found with my particular ROP low bulb the globe isn't centered in the base. :(

Buckfever

Newly Enlightened
The stock reflector handles the heat of the ROP low? I thought it would melt it on a longer run time?

oregon

Enlightened
There is a m@glite thermal study in this forum you might find interesting. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115232&highlight=thermal

Run-time test (my first): ROP high bulb 2D with 6 AA NiMHs Borofloat lens and stock reflector: After being on and hand held for 5 minutes, indoors temp approx 65F, silver coating bubbles nearest bulb about 1/8 inch ring and blue plastic is hot but can be handled.

Now, where did I put that metal reflector?

All the best,

oregon

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
mudman cj said:
It took about 7 minutes in this experiment.

Brilliant expose of the stock reflector. Concise verbage, clear pictures and quite interesting. Appreciate your taking it to failure. Thank you kindly.

I continue to use the stock reflectors in my one hotwire that doesn't have a metal reflector until I can replace it with a cammed MOP, medium orange peel, next year when fivemega has more available. Something to look forward to.

All the best,

oregon

Buckfever

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking maybe MOP too. I'm not sure if the low ROP puts out enough to go to a heavier stippling. I made some up some of the stock reflectors with a medium heavier stippling last night and I'll see what that low ROP likes. Maybe if I post up some pics we could discuss it more.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using mine with a HS and it looks great! The beam is very very smooth (SF quality) but still has some serious throw!

frosty

Enlightened
I have a MOP in the ROP low, which smooths it out a bit whilst still retaining good throw. In my Mag85 I'm using a LS, as the MOP doesn't smooth it out enough.