Need Recommendations!

Aker

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the best flashlight I can get for $50 or under. Size doesn't matter much, but I'd like a bright light that I can use for anything. I'd prefer a runtime of over an hour, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Batteries?

I'd definitely go with multiple brightness levels, if you want it for all purposes. In your <$50 range, you best bets are likely the 2xAA Fenix L2T ($45 at fenix-store.com) or new 1xCR123A Fenix P1D ($50). Run times are very good on both, even in high.

For $20 more, the new cree-based P1D-CE is likely a better choice, if you don't mind the beam profile. I'm sure cree-based AA lights will be coming out soon too, if you don't mind waiting a bit.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aker said:
I'm looking for the best flashlight I can get for $50 or under. Size doesn't matter much, but I'd like a bright light that I can use for anything. I'd prefer a runtime of over an hour, but I guess beggars can't be choosers...Thanks!

Depends on what you mean by best.

If size doesn't matter, and you want a bright light that will work for anything, check out the MagLEDs. Available in 2D, 3D, or even 4D for 30 to 40 bucks. Bright output, will run for a long time, many hours without dimming, and lifetime warranty.

The Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED Zoom and Streamlight PP 4AA Luxeon are both excellent, compact lights under $50:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/UK_4AA_ZOOM_eLED.php

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_ProPolymer_4AA_LUXEON_LED_Flashlight.php

These don't have as long a runtime as the Mags, but are tougher, smaller, and have lifetime warranties.

Aker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys, I was thinking it would be more narrowed down than this! Since it isn't, I'd love to see more suggestions.

Thanks again!

JimmyME

Newly Enlightened
I second the recommendation for the Streamlight Propolymer 4aa Luxeon.

We live in the country and this is an excellent "outside at night" light. I use it every night to walk the 500 ft. to the chicken coop and light up the woods around me. For such a small light it has very nice output.

With rechargeable AAs, very low operating costs. Feels like I'm cheating not having to buy batteries.

Aker

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie to all of this, but I have to admit, some of these lights really look cool! As far as from what has been posted so far, I'm liking the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. It may not be the sexiest light I've seen, but it seems to be cheap, long lasting, and not too difficult to find batteries for (or rechargables, as mentioned)!

I kind of like the ability to use batteries that are cheap or rechargeable. I found these forums after getting sick of my cheap lights dying on me when I really need them. I figured I'd do a little research this time and get something that will last me!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the streamlight is the best first good light to get...also consider the Huntlight series....Great value for the money also...the FT-02 has 2 bodies...and is quite bright too.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
i'd say Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. its a good light. tons of throw.

or Surefire G2.

or if you want really bright. a Streamlight TL-3

Any Fenix if you want about 40 lumens, and a perfect beam. good EDC.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aker said:
As far as from what has been posted so far, I'm liking the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. It may not be the sexiest light I've seen, but it seems to be cheap, long lasting, and not too difficult to find batteries for (or rechargables, as mentioned)!

Great choice. The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon doesn't have the most graceful lines, but it does have a homely, rugged look I find rather appealing.

The no nonsense appearance of a 1911A1 autopistol has the same appeal for me. Form follows function and it's obviously all business.

Aker said:
I kind of like the ability to use batteries that are cheap or rechargeable. I found these forums after getting sick of my cheap lights dying on me when I really need them. I figured I'd do a little research this time and get something that will last me!

This light is a better choice than a Surefire simply because of the batteries. It'll be much cheaper for you to run than a Surefire, and you can always find AA batteries at any little store or gas station, anywhere in the world.

Rechargeable AAs, bundled with inexpensive chargers, are available in most of chain drug stores and discount stores across the country.

Enjoy your light.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
jayhackett03 said:
you should expand your horisons:)
Hey, the OP stated size doesn't matter! :grin2:

Maybe get the 6D and modify it into a 8 or 12 cell? :laughing:

Aker

Newly Enlightened
Now I need a new recommendation! Where can I buy one of these Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon's (for a good price)? There don't seem to be any stores that carry them locally for me.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Aker said:
Now I need a new recommendation! Where can I buy one of these Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon's (for a good price)? There don't seem to be any stores that carry them locally for me.
Here.
102-68*44 PRICE: $24.95 STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LED (Division 2)
  • 10,000 hour super high-flux LED
  • Run time up to 4 hours
  • Tested lumen value: 40.0
  • 7" length
  • Requires 4 AA Alkaline batteries
  • Available in yellow or black
Have fun.