Book Light Recommendation?

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my wife says she is ready for me to get her a flashlight. Problem is it is a light I have no interest in.. A book light. Has anyone found a decent reading light that they could recommend for my wife?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of them seem a bit awkward and I've yet to see one of high quality outside of a music stand light.
There is also the problem of looking up from a lighted page into a dark room and not being able to see well.

Have you considered telling her how cute she looks in a headlamp and the advantage of having the light shine where you look?

I prefer them and some of them are very light and have good diffusors.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Check out the book lights that are LED based and illuminate a piece of clear lexan. My wife uses them and has both sizes. The name of the brand is LightWedge, they are sold at Books A Million. They take 4AAA batteries. Here's a link http://www.lightwedge.com/
They are priced between $20 and $30.
They light up book pages much better than the cheap clip on ones that look like a mini desk lamp.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use an Infinity Ultra, either white or red. Works fine propped on a pillow next to you.

TooDamFast

Newly Enlightened
dont get the $10 led clip on that they sell at books a million. My wife broke the switch the first week she had it.

MorePower

Enlightened
What about something like this (if you can find one)?
B00099YMG0.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon link for info

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
RebelRAM said:
Check out the book lights that are LED based and illuminate a piece of clear lexan. My wife uses them and has both sizes. The name of the brand is LightWedge, they are sold at Books A Million. They take 4AAA batteries. Here's a link http://www.lightwedge.com/
They are priced between $20 and $30.
They light up book pages much better than the cheap clip on ones that look like a mini desk lamp.

This is the ticket, looks like the front light technology used in the GBA Advance Afterburner mod and then all Nintendo portables since. Great help! Thanks

BayGleam

Newly Enlightened
My daughter, son and I use the Energizer Folding LED lights I picked up from my local Target for $6.99 each. Light is provided by two Nichia LEDs (I understand they're the brighter "2x" type) illuminating two translucent plastic tubes. Runs on 4 AAs and provides two brightness levels. It doesn't clip on to books like other dedicated booklights but the angle of the light tube section is adjustable with relation to the base.

I find that running it on the low level is more than sufficient for my nighttime reading. I haven't opened mine up to check yet, but I'm guessing it uses direct drive for the low mode (a limiting resistor?) as it doesn't exhibit any PWM flickering. It's advertised to last 200 hours on a set of batteries on the low level but I've haven't used it nearly that long to know. I've had it for about half a year and it seems pretty durable, so far.

My daughter and son use them for reading and illuminating their general vicinity on car trips. The light is low enough that it doesn't distract their "chauffeur" (mom and yours truly.)
grinser2.gif

Last edited: