Political Discussion on CPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
There seems to be an interest in politics here on CPF lately. Some have expressed a desire to "not go there". Others seem to enjoy it very much. So here's the deal... Do you want political discussions on CPF and if you do, how would you like it set up?

Empath

Flashaholic
I almost went for "other" rather than the choices, but really had no optional recommendation. Political discussion is a regional subject, since the politics of each country, providence, country, territory or state has it's own politics. Even if establishing another forum, we should remember that worldwide, were talking of a subject that has nothing to do with many members, although I think it's been demonstrated that some people will meddle in foreign politics for some reason or the other.

The importance though seems minimal, since other resources to voice political concerns and opinions isn't lacking.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha,

Was it you who at one time made a comment about using the spell checker? (Separate)

Just nitpicking!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see nothing wrong with having a political forum. But I am also going to look down my nose at posts that really say nothing but how terrible certain other people are.
icon8.gif

The philosophy of blaming others (whose outlook you disagree with) is a resoundingly Losing one, just lake blaming everybody else for your unhappiness is not being responsible.

I am glad that such forums like will continue to be moderated, because certain posters just seem to be constitutionally incapable of refraining from petty name calling (which is for life-long losers), and absolutely meaningless labeling of other people. "Talk radio" already serves that perverse need...

So, let's try real hard ta act like real grownups in these forums.

I do realize that we have some very young members who find that very difficult to do..-just as I did when I was much younger.

Please forgive the unitentional
lecture here, folks, as that was not my original purpose.
blush.gif
-as I'm certainly not anything like perfect either.
winkie.GIF

See why these threads can be fun,? -'ya can ramble on and on and on and..........
grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My Daddy once told me, "Son, don't ever talk politics or religion with friends...you ain't changing their minds and you could lose a friend!"
smile.gif

Evan

Enlightened
I've always figured if you have to watch what you say around them, they're not friends.

Since the natural logic for political and religeous discussion is circular, maybe limit each participant in a political thread to 5 posts to avoid infinite loops.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not overreact right away. Don't forget tomorrow's election day and fevers are running high. I bet it tones down in a few days.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't read them because I come here to relax. However, with the high percentage of intellgencia present at CPF, I would understand why folks with above average knowledge may want to discuss politics with like-skilled people. The caveat I see is that CPF needs to be careful with bandwidth.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Bandwidth is an issue. How about limiting political posts to simple sentences of one or two syllable words? "Bush good. Taxes bad. Clinton lousy."

Ok, joking aside, I'd leave it up to the guy footing the bill for all of this. I like the information AND humor in the political posts, but certainly not as much as the flashlight stuff.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Roy:
you ain't changing their minds
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't agree that you shouldn't discuss it, but THIS part of the quote should be etched in stone. I sometimes get the feeling that each side is actually attempting to change the minds of the other side - by calling them stupid and such. For some reason that never seems to work out.

Light-Headed... you made me laugh.
smile.gif

(Oops. Almost forgot to vote!)

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I was just curious to see who would be the first to catch on to that one darell.
biggrin_3.gif

I'm holding a party at the poles on tuesday people......everyones invited.
dancing.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Won't be there LH. Save me a beer. I take the smart way out and vote BEFORE all the mud-slinging makes it to prime-time. I vote absentee, and all that mud money is 100% wasted on me. Can't sway my vote since a couple of weeks ago.

I think we should ban political ads ten days before any election. OR make it so that no other candidate can be mentioned but the one that is theoretically being supported!

Oops, dragging this OT. Please ignore me, and I'll stop.

Thrilled to see how many votes this thing is generating.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I'll save you a beer darell. Man.....are you this efficient with everything in your life? Drive an EV.....Vote by absentee ballot......Recycle everything......etc.

If I find out you drink your own urine to conserve water......well.....I just don't know what I'll do.

And a little back on topic. I know some people in here don't like the way the political dicussions tend to head......but I get the feeling that even those people tend to read them even if they don't post in them. Sort of like driving slow by a car accident even though you probably don't really want to see anything gruesome. It's just hard to resist and can be a little intrigueing. Just me thinking out loud.....I may be way off base here.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Wits' End:
But those in Minnesota who cast their absentee ballots early might still need to go to the poll. Though I'd rather they didn't vote for Mondale I'd rather their vote counted.
Please make an informed vote!

**Edit So what did the 1 person suggest in other?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And did you catch the news today that Mondale had floated a poll over a year ago looking into running AGAINST Wellstone?
So much for carrying on his legacy.

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... last chance for your opinion to count! I'm going to close this thread sometime tomorrow.

Darell

Flashaholic
Don't wait! Close it now while I'm still winning!

Come on everybody - lets get some input so we can **** off the fewest memebers...

grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF people don't want to read political discussion threads, nobody will force them...

To ban political discussion is nothing more than giving in to that group and letting them decide what's best for everyone. Why should THEY get to make that choice?

I think DavidW should make the decision since this is his forum. This is not a democracy, and anyone who doesn't like it can start their own flashlight forum.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm confused; are we trying to save bandwidth or use as much of it as possible? Asking us to vote "if you want political discussions" seems to be an invitation to possible expansion of the topic; and a good way to use up bandwidth..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts