Anybody ever do Magic?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once upon a time... No wait...
grin.gif

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Before I found this forum and got hooked on the latest & greatest lights I spent several months practicing mainly card magic. It was fun, I liked seeing these tricks performed and had to learn them. After awhile I got pretty good but most people just grab the deck from you out of frustration because they can't figure it out. The point is to enjoy it, not try and figure it out. LOL
wink.gif

Then I watched David Blaine's TV shows were he does card magic & levitation, etc. It was kind of neat to be able to do about 90%-95% of his tricks and know how he did just about everything he showed. Funny thing is, unless your on TV no one is as impressed.
icon15.gif

Oh well, just wondering if anyone else ever learned any magic.

[...crickets chirping...]

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, Most of my stuff is close up stuff. Lots of coin tricks, needle through the arm (though I don't do that too close - "dangerous you know, may get blood on someone!"), color changing knives, etc.

I dabbled with some scarves and foam balls, but didn't really enjoy it. Didn't get too involved with cards, tried a few, I definitely respect someone who is good at "slight of hand" (I'm not so good, but they 'think' I am)!!

Yes, David Blaine is good at "marketing & presentation"...that 'look' of his, sometimes almost 'evil'!

You know when folks, say "do it again", well most of the time I won't perform the same trick again, (the first time is a trick, the second time it's a "lesson") but with some you can baffle them and baffle them, and keep on baffling them...it's great!

You're right, there's always those who are like "I know how he did it" (and they aren't even close!) or they try to figure it out so much they don't enjoy it for the entertainment that it is.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slight of hand takes awhile to learn and I worked at it for several months before I was comfortable doing anything in front of people. The ambitious card routine, red hot mama, various 3 card monties & "that's it" were some of my favorites.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Harrkev:
My wife can make all of my money disappear with one wave of her hand! Does that count?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Only if she's buying flashlights!
grin.gif

Oh, and they would have to have been on sale too!
yellowlaugh.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
A long time ago, I played M:TG competively and did the tournament scene and was a decently ranked player. Very fun hobby. Still have a decent sized collection that I have no intention of getting rid of. Some of the early artwork is simply amazing and I have a few signed prints...

(a few of you will have a clue as to what I'm talking about)
smile.gif

Mark

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Not that "Magic" bubba!

Yea. I do stage hypnosis semi-professionally now.

Card and close up is nice, tho.

Darn tough to make a living at!

--Phil

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
where do you folks go to learn magic, anyway? What books are good for that kinda stuff?

--Scrimmy

yclo

Flashaholic*
Funny you should mention that, I've been in a Magic club in my University for the past few years. A bit rusty now though.

Mostly close up, tried cards, coins, sponge balls, etc. Mostly cards. I can do the muscle pass though.

-YC

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I always dabbled with it as a kid..you know got one of those "all in one" magic kits for a birthday or something. Then I went to the library and got some simple magic books, started playing with those tricks.

Then in 1981 I went to a magic shop "Zeezo's Magic Castle" (I think that was the name) in some huge mall in Denver, Colorado. They want to sell tricks...so they demonstrate for you...my "rule of thumb" is if it doesn't cost too much (READ: you will PAY for good magic tricks, but can get a lifetime of enjoyment from the good ones.) and I'm impressed with the trick, I either buy it or save my pennies for it.

I of course am bound not to "release any details", but I started with the basic stuff (coins are good, color changing knives, etc.)...hopefully you can find a magic shop or store with someone who can demonstrate the tricks well, nearby. If not do a search on the web and request some catalogs...there are alot of garbage/cheap tricks out there and unfortunately sometimes you don't know it until you have already purchased the trick.

Inexpensive? --->> a deck of cards and a book from the library!! PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE alone, and when comfortable in front of one or two folks...and then up, up, and away...ABRACADABRA!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Brotherscrim:
where do you folks go to learn magic, anyway? What books are good for that kinda stuff?

--Scrimmy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One of the best books to get started with is called "The Royal Road to Card Magic" by Jean Hugard. It cost about $10

Video's are really nice too but are expensive.

One of the best discussion boards I have found on magic is MagicTricks.co.uk

I started with a gimmick deck of cards called a "stripper deck". It's a real deck of cards that can be inspected and is a lot of fun to start out with because it doesn't require any skill. You ask someone to pick a card and remember it without you seeing it, they return it to the deck, you shuffle it and can find their card with your eyes closed, behind your back, etc.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
...Then I watched David Blaine's TV shows were he does card magic & levitation, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonderered how those levitation tricks were performed where the magician passed a hoop around the "levitatee" to show that there were no hidden wires.
Can you tell us how that is done, or at least give a hint?

Brightnorm

Latest posts