Handhelds - Own one?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Compaq IPAQ 3760, It's a great little gadget but the battery life sucks.

aso

Enlightened
I have a Palm IIIx with the axxpac add-on.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've has the Casio EM-500, the Audiovox Maestro and currently have the Toshiba e740.
I tried a CLIE but the Palm OS was a little too foreign for my liking.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Palm m100, modded to 8mB memory...same for my SO, but with hers I also had to replace the memory backup capacitor, which Palm would not sell me a replacement for. DigiKey had one that barely fit.

She uses hers all the time. I can't find a use for mine.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Sony Clie (digital camera one) is on my short list of what to spend income tax rebate on. I hope meanwhile they come out with a model that has more then 16 MB RAM. RAM prices being what they are, one would expect more from a $500 handheld.

iddibhai

Enlightened
waiting for OS5 Clie's to drop in price. bought sister the S320 (OS4.1) when it came out
smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I have two Handspring Visor Deluxes (8mb Ram), w/ 8mb backup card, Targus Total Recall Voice Recorder, and a Magellan GPS Companion (and it's the best plug in module of all!)...

Thought about getting a Targus portable keyboard, but I'm not sure how much I would use it.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm IIIxe...bought for the purpose of datalogging my car for tuning purposes. Used it alot for a while until I broke the plastic casing in a fall to the floor. I can't believe there aren't a bunch of people selling aftermarket casings for this in various colors and paint schemes. So I've been looking on ebay for a Palm IIIxe with a broken screen or otherwise dead so I can use its case...

For my next one, I'll wait until a good Palm unit is integrated into a cell phone at a reasonable price. No color screens please.

Mark

MicroE

Enlightened
I have a Handspring Visor Prism and use it all the time for everything. I bought it AFTER it was discontinued because it still has the BRIGHTEST color display of any Palm or Pocket PC. The display on the newer Treo's isn't nearly as bright.---Marc

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have one of those Sharp Wizards--the 3Mb model but no longer carry it--just too large.

Some time this year I will likely be recieveing a Pocket PC from my school as I am in a program called "School of Technology" and one of the perks is, well, you get a Pocket PC--as soon as they get the funding
grin.gif

As part of another program last year (different school) I got to use a Compaq iPaq quite often. I was not part of the group that got to carry one every day for the first half of the year, but I was part of the group that used them in class (In my case, science class) for the second half of the year. The package was an iPaq, an PCMIA expansion pack and Wireless Network card, and a Stowaway keyboard. The keyboard is a *nice* accessory if you have somewhere (Briefcase, backpack, etc.) to store it...

TOB9595

Enlightened
I use the palm 3x. with 8meg card. Love it! 3-4 years old now! may have to replace it soon with ? Starting to fail me. Don't know yet if prob is software conflicts or not. Probably not because tapping squeezing case sometimes removes the prob
frown.gif
I have many many books, hacks, and other software. Use DateBook 4, Jot, never used grafitti, tealphone, backup buddy, databases, time trackers. Don't see the need for color yet, but I have to play with some of the newer ones to see.
It's important to get a good stylus. The ones that came with palm scratched the screen.
I like the idea of Handsprings cards especially the GPS mentioned above.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
And then there's that other free program which turns your screen all black so you can use it as a mirror...someone has toooooo much time on their hands.

There are some great astronomy wares out there though. I don't have the cable, but it will control my Meade ETX telescope. Very handy/portable star chart to have while gazing!