Modding IMS 20 reflector

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
Anyone knows how to cut the reflector to fit the Mag AA head? How thin does the reflector becomes before it fits into the Mag head?

If I dont want to file the reflector, how to enlarge the internal diameter of the mag head?

Trying to fit the SMJLED into the Mag AA, please help.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have one of LEDean's cutdown MiniMags modded to take the IMS20 reflector. IIRC, it looked like he just cut off the "leg ribs" where they met the curved part of the reflector. And then the inside of the top of the MiniMag head was machined out slightly. But I have seen posts before where others have just done the work with a dremel or even a hand file.

Last edited:

speederino

Enlightened
My ledean cutdown minimag is the same way. "Finless" IMS20 reflector + a little machining out of material inside the head. I think if you don't remove some material in the head then the bezel ring doesn't screw down all the way.

greenLED

Flashaholic
snipinglight said:
Anyone knows how to cut the reflector to fit the Mag AA head? How thin does the reflector becomes before it fits into the Mag head?

If I dont want to file the reflector, how to enlarge the internal diameter of the mag head?
You gotta Dremel the ID of the minimag's head, or use a McR18, or an IMS17 with an o-ring around it.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
This may be the definitive post on MiniMag optics. It explains how to mod the IMS 20.

I've done it myself and all it requires is a knife, some sandpaper and a bit of patience. The reflector walls are thick enough at the end of it that I don't worry about them (probably still thicker than the original Mag reflector).
Unless you have a decent lathe or drill press this is probably the easier (and safer?) way to go over reaming out the head, plus the mod is reversible.

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the information, I will try to sand the reflector down although I have a dremel, can't imagine how to grip the head of the MM to get a decent ID enlargement.