Has anyone ever modded an Impact XL

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
I bought four of these on clearance at our local EMS store for 12.00 each. The Princeton Tec Impac xl is a great light. very tough, completely water-proof and has a 1 watt luxeon led. I use mine all the time, I throw it in our softsub to light the tub up while we soak in it. I've used it under water in our pond to explore. My only gripe (isn't it always) is that it needs more output.I would love to try and stick a Cree, even a 3 watt Lux in this light but I'm not sure where to start? Will it fit? Where can I buy a Cree or other 3 watt lux led and what other parts might I need to do the mod? I'm not an EE but I can handle an Iron well.
Would some one like to help me finding a source for a Cree unit and other bits and pieces needed?

Merry Christmas

Heli

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The impact XL uses a PR based LED bulb that can easily be replaced. I tried replacing mine with the everled (1W). Output was about the same but the everled had a different tint. I doubt that anything more powerful could be used due to thermal restraints but I guess an XR-E driven at 350mA would be a significant improvement. Stock reflector probably won't be any good for the cree though.

If you're feeling brave, you could replace the LED in the PR bulb for one of these new SSC P4 LEDs.

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
monkeyboy said:
The impact XL uses a PR based LED bulb that can easily be replaced. I tried replacing mine with the everled (1W). Output was about the same but the everled had a different tint. I doubt that anything more powerful could be used due to thermal restraints but I guess an XR-E driven at 350mA would be a significant improvement. Stock reflector probably won't be any good for the cree though.

If you're feeling brave, you could replace the LED in the PR bulb for one of these new SSC P4 LEDs.

PR, Interesting, I'll have to take the head assembly apart, and check it out, The stock reflector has a nice smooth beam, I'm pretty sure it's plastic though. I can see a meltdown happening... I wonder if a Maxstar PR based LED would fit??
Heli

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the reflector melting will be a problem. The problem is that the LED will overheat in the plastic body due to lack of thermal conductivity if driven at too high a level. Also the Cree probably won't focus correctly with the stock reflector.

The Maxstar pr bulb seems like a good idea if it focuses correctly and doesn't overheat. Let me know how it works out, I'd like to try this with mine :)

FLR http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-6n.htm recommends this is only used with a metal body light though.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gee, if anyone finds a site selling these flashlights for

Twelve Bucks each, please provide us with a link.
smile.gif

Got mine for $30. Would buy several more of 'em at $12.

They use a Side-Emitter Luxeon. Not a bright light, but it's
'bout perfect for indoor use, or nearby use outdoors.

Even with its shortcomings, it would be dynamite at Twelve Dollars !