Modded 4.5V Pilot Army Lights

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
I bought the unmodified one in gray on a flea market when i was a kid and always liked it. It has a huge lens which in combination with the reflector gives a Mag-like donut output.

Well, i then bought 2 more, and this is how it ended:

IMG_4776.sized.jpg

IMG_4777.sized.jpg

the resistor on the luxeon version is easily replaceable, because it's just plugged into a PC's fan connector.

the one with 2 C-cells uses an SMJLED PR-Bulb replacement which is glued into the socket.

more pictures: http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/gallery/Pilot45VTorch

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod, awesome lights ! Maybe you could try regulators as well. Does the lux sit on copper ? There is anough room for heatsinking and regulators. Don't stop here ! Merry Christmas !

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
thanks bombelman, yes, the lux sits on copper. I was thinking about regulating it, but i didn't want to spend too much money, so this is why i did it like that.

Nell

Enlightened
I have a few Wonder lights made 25-30 years ago that looks like they were copies of your lights. I recall they used the same wonder light battery(expensive) and a screw in bulb... have to find them and look at them again.

Great idea.

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
Nell, these lights were very common in Europe. I know the wonder ones, I'm not sure, but i think that they were available 2-3 years ago in Coop (the second largest supermarket-chain in Switzerland).

The batteries aren't that expensive here, i think you get about the same amount of energy for money as if you buy AA cells.

BTW: I really begin to like the one i did with the Luxeon, i already used it while doing some work at my car stereo, and it came in very handy..