5D Mag-lite

OVoXO

Newly Enlightened
Well I just stumbled upon this forum and it looks like theres some pretty sweet mods to do here, ive read and read and read and there is hardly any mention (none if you search) of any 5D maglites. I would like to make this thing brighter, but not to electronic savy. I see most mods need a new lense and reflector, I can do that. As for batteries I would like to stay with store bought D's. Is there any other bulb that I can stick in here and keep the 5D's to make this thing brighter than stock. Doesnt matter what type of light im just lookin to make my bedstand mag brighter! Thanks.

Hope I put this in the right forum:grin2:

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you're going to have much luck. The only mods I've seen for Maglites are for sizes 2, 3, 4 & 6. In the meantime I'd say drop an LED replacement bulb in your 5D and see if that quenches your thirst. It will definitely give you a whiter beam and probably a little brighter as well.

oregon

Enlightened
You might try different M@G bulbs. For example, put a bulb meant for the 4D into your 5D. If it doesn't blow, well then, there you go.

All the best,

oregon

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Pokerstud posted about a 5D modded with 9 4/5 sub-C 2200 mAh Nimh batteries powering an 1185 bulb for lots of lumens. This would run for about 30 minutes and give something like 800 lumens.

Of course, this violates your condition of using batteries from the store. I just found this thread where some people are running the ROP bulbs from alkalines, though the result is an underdriven yellow version of the standard ROP. With only 5 of them you would get even less desirable results (they used 6), but still many more lumens than you could get with the 4 cell bulb, just not nearly as white.

The problem with alkaline batteries is that even the best D size cells can barely deliver 1 V each at 3 amps for 10 minutes, so they are not well suited for high power devices like hotwires. Maybe just start with the 4 cell bulb until the itch returns with a vengeance. You certainly don't need to replace the reflector or lens with the 4 cell swap, so it's cheap and easy at least.

Last edited:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
The 5D is an oddball to me. According to Mag's own specs, the 5D is DIMMER than the 4D on the Krypton bulb, but does have an advantage when you upgrade to xenon. I suggest he tries the Xenon bulb if not already and make sure you buy Mag bulbs, they seem brighter than the generics (speaking from mini-mag though).

OVoXO

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty, thanks for the info/links I was wondering if I could do the ROP and use 5D's. Guess I might have to try to invest in some different batteries. Time to do more searching on what "9 4/5 sub-C 2200 mAh Nimh batteries" are and what an 1185 bulb is. Thanks alot.

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
OVoXO said:
Alrighty, thanks for the info/links I was wondering if I could do the ROP and use 5D's. Guess I might have to try to invest in some different batteries. Time to do more searching on what "9 4/5 sub-C 2200 mAh Nimh batteries" are and what an 1185 bulb is. Thanks alot.

One of the most simple ROP mods is a 6D. All you need is ROP Hi bulb, reflector, UCL lens and 6 Nimh batteries. Incredible brightness with approx. 2 hr. runtime! A new 6D Mag will only run you about $25.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Search out "Frosting".

Get a 4 cell M*g Krypton Star. Frost it lightly. Install it. Have fun!

I personally have 6 rechargable C cells in my one 5D light and a WA01111 bulb.

6 alk C against a 4 cell bulb MIGHT work. But even against the 5 cell bulb it would be brighter and higher color temp.

I have 6 NimH AA against 4 and 8 NimH AA against 6 in a couple of lights. And this level of bright doesn't require new reflectors or lenses.

Whatever you decide, look into frosting! It REALLY helps the beam!

rwolff

Enlightened
OVoXO said:
I see most mods need a new lense and reflector, I can do that. As for batteries I would like to stay with store bought D's. Is there any other bulb that I can stick in here and keep the 5D's to make this thing brighter than stock. Doesnt matter what type of light im just lookin to make my bedstand mag brighter! Thanks.

Hope I put this in the right forum:grin2:

Are you sure you want to stick with the 5D form factor? That's a bit bulky for a bedstand flashlight. Of the lights I carry in my truck, the "photon cannon" would probably be the closest to your needs. Starting with a 2D Maglite, do the following:

- Swap out the bulb (and the spare in the tailcap) for 6 cell (not a typo) Mag xenon bulbs.
- Go to the buy/sell/trade forums, and order an 8AA-2D adapter from Modamag.
- Get yourself 8 NiMH AA cells that don't "skate" on the size spec in order to get extra capacity (diameter is critical).

The 8 NiMH cells give you 9.6V (as opposed to 9V for 6 alkalines), for a slight overdrive. They may cost a bit more initially, but they pay for themselves through lower life cycle costs. The result is a slightly overdriven (brighter, without much sacrifice in bulb life) 6 cell flashlight in a 2 cell form factor.

Of course, if you want to keep the 5 cell form factor, you could do this and add 3 "D" dummy cells, use a 12AA-3D adapter, 12 NiMH cells, 14.4 volt bulbs (cordless tool light), and 2 "D" dummies, use 2 8AA-2D adapters, 16 NiMH cells, 18 volt bulbs, and 1 "D" dummy, or one each 8AA-2D and 12AA-3D, 24 NiMH cells, and 24 volt bulbs.

swampgator

Enlightened
rwolff said:
- Go to the buy/sell/trade forums, and order an 8AA-2D adapter from Modamag.
- Get yourself 8 NiMH AA cells that don't "skate" on the size spec in order to get extra capacity (diameter is critical).

Would this require boring out the tube? Or can you take any standard AA size NiMH and fit them in with that adapter?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Some AAs can fit 4 wide without boring, some can't. The larger capacity cells tend to be fatter. Sometimes you can also cram them in only after they have cooled following charging. Information on which ones work is scattered around this board.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I used my 4D I bought from Lowe's on Black Friday for security a couple of nights last week. That's not something I will do again anytime soon...
I loaded it with fresh batteries and put it in the back of my holster drawer for emergencies. It's cold back there, so should keep the batteries nice and fresh.

It was bright and long running though...

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't get this cramming AA batteries into a D maglite.
Why do it? a D cell has much more than 4x the capacity of an AA cell.
If you need more voltage, why not boost the voltage?
Voltage converters aren't THAT inefficient, are they?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
***EDITED*** addressed the wrong member.

OVoXO
-

I used that same combination in a Mag85 6C that is strong.

It is intensely white. A well overdriven Welch Allyn WA01185 is visibly brighter than a well overdriven ROP (RoarOfthePelican) Pelican 3854 24W lamp.

After charging those cells let them rest for at least 4 hours or the lamp will fail.

Through the majority of the run you'll see >= 10.86V and >= 3.30A which is excellent.

Last edited:

swampgator

Enlightened
Icebreak:

I plan on building a Mag85 using a 3D host. I was under the impression that 8 AA>2 D or 12 AA>3 D wouldn't work with out boring out the tube. If I can fit four in an unbored tube using an adaptor then it will speed up the process.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, SwampGator. I wasn't following the flow of the thread and forgot whose thread it was. I was talking about 9 series 4/5 sub-C 2200 cells in a 5D and meant that comment for the OP.

If you want to go with 9AA cells in a 3D I would strongly recommend FiveMega's battery holder.