Minimag: choosing converter to use with cree

NathanJK

Newly Enlightened
My needs are for a small, reasonably affordable, very bright light. I've always liked my minimag but brightness and runtime REALLY isn't so lovely. I already have a large supply of good nimh AA rechargeables from my camera flashes so I want to be able to use these. Hence, I've decided it would work well for me to use a cree xr-e led, and either a lambda minipro or a madmax plus sandwich to drive it. My main sticking point is: which converter would be better for my puposes, and did I miss anything really obvious? I know I'll need to do some modifications to get the cree to fit through the battery tube, and I know the stock reflector probably wont focus it all that great, but it should be a good light for my purposes and once I get it running I can always then turn my attention to tweaking it :) Also, heat buildup shouldn't be a huge issue as I'll make a heatsink for the emitter and I'll rarely run the light for more than a minute or two tops. If I need a light for longer I generally need both hands and I'm using my headlight! I hope this all makes sense, I'm new here and obviously dont have a huge amount of knowledge. I think I've cludged together something that will work here but I'm just not certain. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Nathan!

I'm not one of the many, seriously knowledgeable people around here, but I believe you're going to have some trouble with a Cree in this mod. However, after reading your post a few times over, my take on what might fit the bill a lot better, would be to suggest a couple of options.

One... an already manufactured light, of which there are lot's to choose, that is bright, with surprisingly good beam and spill, and fairly small. For quick and dirty comparison, options and prices generally range from 2AA or 3AA Mag LED's, to Fenix P1D-CE's, to the more exotic, and expensive, handmade customs. All gaps and niches between those basic low/mid/high points are filled with many, many lights. The only trouble you'll have with finding a light for your particular performance/size/price ratio, is deciding which one of the many to get... hehe. And then, the motto around here is, when in doubt, buy both.

Trying to build the particular mod you have in mind could be more of a challenge than expected, will involve time and expense, if it would even work... especially considering the components mentioned. This, leads me to option numero dos.

There are tons of modding parts one can find around here, and elsewhere, that have already been built, tried, and tested, all of them involving expense. But, with a little research, you can put parts together to make some really cool stuff... that works... lol. And, to a degree, you still get the sense of satisfaction of building your own custom light that perfectly suits your purpose.

So, unless you've been lurking here for a long time, and know a lot more than you're letting on ;), you might consider holding off on the Cree in a Minimag idea for now, and buy some mod parts. The longer I remain a flashaholic, the more I'm amazed at the freakin' cornucopia of items you can build so many different types of great lights from.

So basically, prepare yourself for a hobby, and a possible addiction that has the potential to drain your wallet faster than you can say :paypal:.

Last edited:

NathanJK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response! I know there are a lot of good pre-built lights out there that would probably do well for me. I used to have a streamlight 1 cell lithium that I REALLY liked but I lost it :( My fiancee still carries one in her purse that I gave her but I'd have a hard time appropriating hers! Since I need a new GOOD light I figured I'd have more fun making my own...that, and the fact that I always feel the need to maximize the performance to dollar ratio is what pushed me towards modding the minimag to perfectly fit my needs. I really WOULD like to do it and while I dont have a ton of knowledge of the issue I've been lurking and researching the last few weeks and I feel pretty confident in my skills mechanically to get it done. I'm really trying not to turn this into TOOOOO much of a hobby...I already have photography which easily takes any of my free money. Well, that and the fiancee/wedding stuff!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Hey, perhaps this combo will suit your needs:
1xAA Elly with Cree XR-E mod. Simple to do I read...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/141874&page=2&pp=30
I am trying it myself, but my shipment of XR-Es will be late and I will have no access to a soldering iron at my Uni.

Price for Elly: $9 Shipped. And you will need a Cree star from some group buy. One is typically $15 shipped, less if you buy more. Don't know if this will fit your needs, but throwing this one out there. If you've been using an old Maglite, chances are you will be impressed by a lot...

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there's a whole other thread about the Elly...personally I am still a big fan of Maglites and I'm just waiting for better drop-ins to come out for them. There's some interesting info on a new soon to be released low cost Minimag drop-in here:

http://www.customlightfactory.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52

But the Minipro Kit from Lambda Lights is probably one of the best Minimag mod kits out there for those who have some electronic skills.

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
NathanJK said:
My needs are for a small, reasonably affordable, very bright light. I've always liked my minimag but brightness and runtime REALLY isn't so lovely. I already have a large supply of good nimh AA rechargeables from my camera flashes so I want to be able to use these. Hence, I've decided it would work well for me to use a cree xr-e led, and either a lambda minipro or a madmax plus sandwich to drive it. My main sticking point is: which converter would be better for my puposes, and did I miss anything really obvious? I know I'll need to do some modifications to get the cree to fit through the battery tube, and I know the stock reflector probably wont focus it all that great, but it should be a good light for my purposes and once I get it running I can always then turn my attention to tweaking it :) Also, heat buildup shouldn't be a huge issue as I'll make a heatsink for the emitter and I'll rarely run the light for more than a minute or two tops. If I need a light for longer I generally need both hands and I'm using my headlight! I hope this all makes sense, I'm new here and obviously dont have a huge amount of knowledge. I think I've cludged together something that will work here but I'm just not certain. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Combine the MiniPro AA kit with P4 Z-LED from Seoul which is better than Cree XR-E, should give very bright lights. Going to try soon but yet to get the P4 http://seoulsemicon.co.kr/_homepage/home_kor/product/product_P4.asp?topCODE=2&midCODE=4

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been told by a fellow CPFer working with the new Crees that he couldn't get more than "3W Performance" out of them. Unless he's doing something wrong, I think Seoul has probably been inflating their specification numbers. Inflating specifications?? Now I've never heard of that in the consumer electronics industry..... :whistle:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vickers said:
That looks VERY interesting! I wonder what the final pricing will end up at? Hopefully around the NiteIze level.:lolsign:

Not sure, but it sounds like it's going to be VERY affordable. My guess would be around the $10-15 price range.