How to capture audio from DVD?

Starlight

Enlightened
I would like to capture a song (audio track ony) from a DVD disc and save it in an mp3 file. The disc is one that I used to copy a TV program. The only editing software I have is Windows Movie Maker. Does anyone know how to do this?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick and dirty way to capture any audio played on a PC is using Audacity:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity

Set the input to be WaveOut (your PC's audio output). I captured each song segment, saved as a wave file, killed, recorded the next segment, saved, etc. Then used Windows Media Player v11 to write the CD.

In fact, I just did this with a movie downloaded from Google Video and made a CD movie soundtrack from it (old movie that could not find for sale or rent).

It may be a limitation of my old laptop PC, but Audacity only recorded in Mono from my waveout mix input source... Your mileage may vary.

-Bill

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I do it is to rip the video, then strip the audio as a WAV in VirtualDub, then convert it to mp3 with dBpowerAMP/FreeRIP/what-have-you. I used this method to rip the entire soundtrack from my RHPS DVD.

Realistically, though, I think you'd be better off getting something like Audacity, Audio Hijack, or the one I use, Total Recorder (www.highcriteria.com).

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
try SUPER. The download link is hard to find under all the text, but it is at the bottom. It's a freeware program, and worked well for me. It has a lot of options, you might find the one you want.

Starlight

Enlightened
Thank you very much guys. I downloaded audacity 1.2.6 and will try that first. If it doesn't do what I need, I will try your other suggestions.