My newest Surefire(picture heavy)

Makarov

Enlightened
Santa came in earlier today with a little gift :D

I traded 3 G3 magazines and $65 for this guy:
hpim0485mediumdc8.jpg

hpim0500mediumgp2.jpg

It's old, and needs a 6V pack consisting of 2pcs 123 batteries with a shim inbetween shrinkwrapped together.
hpim0487mediumcn7.jpg

Opened the pack and it was 2 Duracell batteries soldered together and spaced by a plastic shim.
hpim0502je5.jpg

Made my own pack with new Batterystation 123's and some aluminium foil to bridge the two batteries. Works like a charm :D
hpim0503fe7.jpg

HK91 is optional...
hpim0501mediumje3.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a BOG led drop in module for this thing. The K2 model looks especially nice, but I haven't read any reports on it so I don't know yet.

Last edited:

schrenz

Enlightened
Interisting light, but why are the batteries solded together?

Is it not possible to use 2 loose batteries?

O.T.: I love the good old G3 :twothumbs , better than the modern lego-guns.
Greets Jens

Size15's

Flashaholic
schrenz said:
Interisting light, but why are the batteries solded together?
SureFire created the SF223AC, SF323AC & SF423AC battery sticks for use in heavy-recoil devices such as shotgun WeaponLights and BatonLights etc where they found that the batteries were becoming crushed as a result of them being in the flashlight for a long time (or much intense heavy use) and providing unreliable contact.

I believe that now-a-days since SF123A became significantly more cost effective battery source (compared to DL123As) the batteries tend to spend less time being subjected to these heavy recoils before being replaced so it is less of an issue.
There may be a few exceptions but individual SF123As can replace the battery sticks. If you use your firearm check the batteries for signs of crushing (pounding damage).

TwoGuns

Newly Enlightened
Wow, very very interesting to see product development. Thanks for the pics!

Yukon_MkI

Newly Enlightened
Unless G-3 mags are super expensive in Norway you got quite a deal on that light!

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful. Those battery sticks are discontinued now. I have a few that I picked up as Surefire discontinued them. They are functional and as Size15's described becoming less necessary as they only reason to have them is with hard continuous recoil setups. Most of the cells are swapped before they crush, but it is nice to have the sticks to be on the safe side. I'm sure SF will still supply them in some capacity to those that require them.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
1. Those batteries soldered together looks scary.

2. As a fellow HK91 owner, I should enlighten you a bit about that light. Have you fired the rifle much with this new light, or are you just admiring it?

The reason I ask is that I have an HK laser, originally purchased to use on my SP89. Back in my newbie days, I put it on my HK91 and was unable to keep it from shaking loose with the violent recoil long enough to even sight it in.

I'm gonna guess that an incadescent light, unless there is some serious recoil dampening internals in it will yield only broken filaments on your bulbs, ASSUMING you can keep it securely attached to your front end for more than a couple of mags full.

Tactically speaking, that isn't a close-range gun. Take the light off. Put it on a lightweight AR or similar rifle. There's just too much mass in the HK 91 to use it for short-range personal defense against dynamic targets.

That's my $.02.

Take it for what it's worth... from a firearms instructor.

John

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
templar223- yes the .308 is a long distance rifle and the light shown does not put out a long distance beam, but the lamp IS shock isolated but being that close to a muzzle of a .308 it still may break. and yes that gun would be horable as a close range gun first off its to long second the muzzle blast in close range would do some hearing damage, but i guess thats why that light was made for a close rang weapon like an HK MP5 i think that that is what it was orriganly intended for.

on another note was your laser a surefire? im not to much into lasers so i dont know. but maybe a little silicone grease would keep it from coming off so quikly.

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can increase the length of the body using an A19 and switch to the P90/P91 for more light but if it's increased throw you need for illuminating targets at the range the firearm is best suited then a TurboHead Millennium Series WeaponLight would be far more suitable.

Makarov

Enlightened
I've been offline during the holidays, so I'm sorry that I haven't answered before.

Yukon_MkI said:
Unless G-3 mags are super expensive in Norway you got quite a deal on that light!
Mags are cheap, so it was a great deal in fact :D

Size 15's said:
There may be a few exceptions but individual SF123As can replace the battery sticks. If you use your firearm check the batteries for signs of crushing (pounding damage).
I was told by the former owner that I couldn't use 2 regular 123's. When I measured I found the pack to be longer than 2 123's stacked together, so I slaugthered the pack for the plastic shim. I'll have to make a more permanent solution to the problem later.

Templar223 said:
As a fellow HK91 owner, I should enlighten you a bit about that light. Have you fired the rifle much with this new light, or are you just admiring it?
Just got the light, so I haven't tested it yet, but I know for a fact that it has both resided on a G3 and a MP5 in several UN and NATO missions in the former Jugoslavia.

Templar223 said:
Tactically speaking, that isn't a close-range gun. Take the light off. Put it on a lightweight AR or similar rifle. There's just too much mass in the HK 91 to use it for short-range personal defense against dynamic targets.
Norwegian soldiers regulary carry G3's with lights for housesweeping purposes. A friend of mine who's in the army(TMBN) spoke of a new retrofitting for the G3, including front vertical grip and lights. So I don't think there's any problem.
Anyways, as I said I got this HK-specific light dirt cheap, and as I don't have any other HK's than the 91 I just had to try it on.

[Dreammode]When I get myself a HK94 or BT96 it'll get a new life there[/dreammode] ;)

Last edited:

schrenz

Enlightened
For some MOUT deployments a .308 is still more useful than the .223 toys, a great door-opener and there's no need to think about walls :laughing: .
But I agree, the Gun is build for longer distances (200-400m) and a Turbohead Weaponlight would fit better.
But I would have taken it for that price, too, magazines enough :laughing: .
Greets Jens

Size15's

Flashaholic
Makarov said:
I was told by the former owner that I couldn't use 2 regular 123's. When I measured I found the pack to be longer than 2 123's stacked together, so I slaugthered the pack for the plastic shim. I'll have to make a more permanent solution to the problem later.
It must be an early model. Perhaps if you stretched the TailCap spring contact a bit?

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
benchmade_boy said:
templar223- yes the .308 is a long distance rifle and the light shown does not put out a long distance beam, but the lamp IS shock isolated but being that close to a muzzle of a .308 it still may break. and yes that gun would be horable as a close range gun first off its to long second the muzzle blast in close range would do some hearing damage, but i guess thats why that light was made for a close rang weapon like an HK MP5 i think that that is what it was orriganly intended for.

on another note was your laser a surefire? im not to much into lasers so i dont know. but maybe a little silicone grease would keep it from coming off so quikly.

My laser is a HK unit... designed and built by HK for HK products.

And yes, for troops issued a G3 and told to clear homes, you make do with what you've got. Them Norwegians are probably a little bigger and stronger than I - but then again, they've got all that gear on too!

I've since grown to love the EOTech sights. They are extremely fast for close-in work, night-vision compatible and capable of long-range precision shooting. And nobody sees a laser beam pulsing downrange (or where it's coming from).

John

Makarov

Enlightened
Templar223 said:
Them Norwegians are probably a little bigger and stronger than I - but then again, they've got all that gear on too!
I agree with you on that. I carried a Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk AG3(Norwegianmade G3) in active duty for 2,5yrs, and I found out that it got heavy in a hurry when I added stuff to it. I've got an A.R.M.S scopemount with a Aimpiont that I bought from a fellow soldier in South Lebanon. Used it on patrol a couple of times then took it off because it added weight and couldn't help me in the middle of the night anyways...