sCreeming LEDs: A19 vs. ML-1 (pics and beamshots too!)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight my wife decided to go out for a bit. Once I got the kids to bed I decided to take a few photos of my two Cree lights:

Sandwich Shoppe A19 XR-E: One cell, HA Nat with Ti bezel (currently running in a HA Black 1.5 Aleph body w/ AW 17500)

MilkySpit ML-1 w/ P4 WH Cree: One cell (primary), two stages, HA Nat

With the 1.5 cell body the A19 is about the same length as the ML-1. The A19 uses an 819mA converter, and the ML-1 around 350-400mA. On a primary the A19 has been tested to a little less than 30 minutes runtime; the ML-1 should be good for well over an hour (haven't tested runtimes yet on either light).

As for beam quality... The A19 is the thrower, the ML-1 is the flooder. The A19 definitely has more output, and it does throw with a bright but narrower spill beam. The ML-1 does throw but not nearly as well as the A19; rather, it has a LARGE bright spill. I walked through the yard (in the rain, what I won't do for my fellow CPF'ers) and confirmed the ML-1s beam to be superior for walking and hiking. I took both on a long night hike a couple of nights ago and found myself using the ML-1 for most of the journey: two useful levels, and the spill and color rendition was great for hiking on a trail.

Both lights are simply fantastic. The A19 is BRIGHT and I love the Surefire legos capabilities: next hike I'm going to use the E1L body with the A19 head and clip it to the bill of my cap as a headlight. However, on a 123 the runtime is a bit short. The ML-1 puts out a wonderful pattern of light for real-world use, and the vanilla tint is great for color depth and perception, at least to my eyes. Plus the ML-1 should have fantastic battery life on a single primary.

Here are a few pics:
A19, A2, and ML-1 (beamshots)

The A19, A2, and ML-1 with an E1L

ML-1 GITD ring doing its stuff

A pair of family photos ;)
dscn1323xi6.th.jpg

Closeup of the ML-1 Cree
dscn1326vl5.th.jpg

Summary? Both are pocket rockets. The A19 cost me around $240 (I think) and the ML-1 around $180 (I think)... I try not to remember how much I've spent on lights, car parts, watches, knives, electronics... ;) But hey, I just got a $400 Coach bag for my wife for Christmas, so cut me some slack! Oh, back on topic- the Milky is a fantastic light, less expensive by around $70, and the fit and finish are Surefire+ quality. The A19 is also very well built too. One is a product of a modding genius, MilkySpit, the other the product of custom building geniuses, McGizmo (original design) and Wayne and Cindy (Sandwich Shoppe). I'm proud to own both. Which do I edc? The ML-1. The two stages are great, the battery life is phenominal too. Now I can't wait to see the next "big thing" in LEDs in the upcoming months. This is quite an exciting time!

On next week's hike I'm going to compare the A2-RD and the ML-1 and may take the A19 as my headlight. Should be interesting, eh? ;)

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Concept,

I purchased the entire ML-1 directly from Scott. If you have an L1 you can send it to him to be modded, or he can usually sell you a complete light.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos, great write up. I just received a "standard" Milky ML-1 and really like it and am thinking about the ML-1Cree. I shall ponder over the yuletide. :santa:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe,
fnmag, you should if you really want to. I've got a cree ML1 that i just received. It looks to have at least the amount of throw that the Mclux PD has but it's got tons more sidespill.

By the way Chronos, the link to your first pic when i click on the thumbnail is broken.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A19 would make one heck of a bright headlamp. Just warn everyone else around you if you are getting ready to look their direction:laughing:

Great pictures. The A19 is a great looking light with the bezel ring.

Is the ML1's output similar to the output from a Surefire L2 or L4 or is it more focused? Also, how is the output / runtime on the low level? Is it brighter than the Kroma's low?

-Goatee

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goatee,

I don't have an L2 or L4 but I'd think they are similar to the ML-1. So far my kids and I've been playing with the ML-1 for over an hour on the same cell and both levels still work.

My Kroma is in Milky's shop for a possible "upgrade..." so I don't have it to compare lows against. It is far brighter (and a larger, brighter spill) than the LEDs on my A2. I found the low to be great for walking/hiking; enough light to make my way, yet not too much to drastically alter my night vision.

I'm sorry about the thumbnails! I don't know how to fix them...

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
The A19 would make one heck of a bright headlamp. Just warn everyone else around you if you are getting ready to look their direction:laughing:

Great pictures. The A19 is a great looking light with the bezel ring.

Is the ML1's output similar to the output from a Surefire L2 or L4 or is it more focused? Also, how is the output / runtime on the low level? Is it brighter than the Kroma's low?

-Goatee

The ML1 actually has a bright hotspot. Hotspot looks similar to the mclux PD but brighter. The L2 and L4 are 5 watt LED's. They have virtually no hotspot. In some cases even a donut where there's less light than the sidespill. The L4 and L2 dont really throw at all. they are built to be flood lights. I guess the L4 can be described as a huge wall of light. The ML1 although has bright sidespill, wouldn't be considered a huge wall of light since it's actually got a bright hotspot. It's kind of hard to describe. The camera doesn't always pickup the beamshot perfectly either.

I hope this helps though

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chronos, I've seen those before, but imageshack is acting up for me; I can only see the thumbnails. Granted, they give me an idea of the beam characteristics, but not the juicy details! :) I'll check the imageshack server again later to see if they're working then.

Just out of curiosity, how many cells have you run through your ML-1 vs. your A19? Also, have you compared the A2 with the ML-1 yet?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye,

Geez, it could be me too. Sigh. If I can I'll try again to take better outdoor shots tonight or tomorrow night.

I took the A2 and the ML-1 (amongst others) out a couple of nights ago. The ML-1 appeared to have more output vs. the A2- my buddy and I both agreed. The ML-1's warm tint was great too as it helped us both see more details. The A2's beam was narrower in the woods, that is, its spill didn't appear to be as bright nor as large as the ML-1. To be honest I prefer my ML-1 for hiking right now as it has better runtime and a very useful low. However, the color rendition and increased depth perception of the A2 is hard to beat. I won't be getting rid of the A2 any time soon though, as it is a great tool. Just not my preferred light for hiking.

I've now run 3 cells through my ML-1 and 4 cells (2x) for the A2. FWIW I took fresh cells for the ML-1 and A2 on the hike and recharged the cells in the Chrononster and the A19. Ok, honestly my kids have run 1 of the cells through my ML-1 and 1/2 of a set of 123s on the A2. They are crazy for lights too. ;) It drives my wife nuts... ;)

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
Alin10123, you wouldn't happen to have any beamshots, would you?

Sorry for the late reply. I believe chronos has already helped us out though.
Are those good enough? Or did you want a beamshot up against a white wall?