A so called rational thought from a lawyer..

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today at work I heard a breif part in a news brief on the radio of two parents that were being held in child abuse case of their adopted children, who were sometimes were put into chicken wire cages...!! I did not hear all the details, but two things that seemed very odd that i heard was a statement made by the parents, "what else were we supposed to do." The adoptees parents lawyer said he was having a hard time trying to figure where the parents were in the wrong ..

Its just sad.

NAW

Enlightened
Lawyers have to defend there clients whether they did something wrong or not.

Its business and business is brutal.
icon9.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This is a pretty complicated story. The Gravelles were foster parents to many developmentally challenged children. Their argument for the cages was to protect the children from each other while they slept. The enclosures were not locked.

I'm not sure what to make of this myself. There are two series of charges levied against them - one for the enclosures (which they were found not guilty of child abuse for using) but another series of charges for child abuse itself while outside of the enclosures. They were found guilty of the latter charges.

The case raises some difficult questions about caring for developmentally disabled children who might pose a danger to themselves or others. I don't know what the answer is but apparently the Gravelles' method of coping with them is not the right way.

I'm not sure that I can stand in judgement of them as I haven't had to deal with the situation they were in, which was very, very tough.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I may be in the minority here but I feel all kids should be kept in cages until they're about ten. :mad: IMHO the parents did absolutely nothing wrong.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly no one here knows enough to comment on the main issue in this thread.

My mother worked with special ed students at a public school for several years. Many children can be taught to behave, but some of these children are a danger and DO need to be locked up, not only for their own good but for everyone else's.

jtr- The PARENTS of the children you've been around need to be kept in cages, not the children.

:buddies:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone here ever been in a room with a 1 or 2 year old who had just discovered his throwing arm? They seem to go through a stage no matter how good their parents are when randomly things just go flying through the air for no reason. I've been visiting relatives and friends before where I wished I had been in a chicken wire cage to protect my head from flying blocks and cars and things! Like the one they put the band in at that bar in the Blues Brothers movie because everyone threw their beer bottles at the band whether they liked the music or not...

as to the rest, there is not enough info in the article to defend or condemn, but if they were actually found guilty then I guess a regular court has decided they have done a lot worse than just give them sleeping cages.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
NAW said:
Lawyers have to defend there clients whether they did something wrong or not.

Its business and business is brutal.
icon9.gif

It is also the basis of our entire legal system.

Latest posts