FireFly3 Potted Emitter?

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Just recieved a used FF3 from a member of Blade Forums. Must say it is a impressive light. The medium level is brighter than my dented HDS 42 Basic on high. How much of the light engine of the FF3 is potted? I've heard conflicting reports, and does anyone have photographs of the potting, if any? No manual came with the light. Not really expecting any answers, but giving it the newb, CPF, old college try.Before cracking the first heatsink, driver layer open and finding out the hard way.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
O.K....finally managed to crack mine open tonight...and it is NOT potted. Did not realize how large the copper heatsink really is. I'm impressed with the light, although transistioning through levels takes practise and was not as user friendly as as expected.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't figured out how to transition between level's yet, what's the secret? Hope
you don't mind me asking Tip and Ring.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flupic isn't it? If so just look around here goldserve has a FluPic guide/flowchart somewhere in one of his threads. Easy once you see the flowchart as someone made up a colored one - just print out and you'll get is fairly fast.

highorder

Enlightened
how do you open it? I have been wondering about a cleaning/ upgrade since I took this pic.

DSC00977-1.jpg

as for the owners manual, here it is:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/d.speck/FF3/FF3_Owners_Manual_small.pdf

Last edited:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
High Order, thank you so much for the owners manual!! The photo you have posted is not as it should be. If that photo reflects the shipped condition of your FF3 then you are only producing 3/4 , at best, of the available output. I will post a crude disassembly photo log of the heatsink assembly after the Christmas rush. My camera skills are not the best. Regardless, that emitter and reflector build is way off.