Missed Blackout in L.A.

rodmeister

Enlightened
We just had a major 3 day rainstorm. According to the Los Angeles Times nearly 100,000 customers lost power in Southern California from several seconds to several HOURS. Why couldn't it be me?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It happened to me. Again! Had my E2e next to my computer while playng CS, and it shut off. Went outside, street lights were off, everything. Another good reason to be a CPF member

hartage

Newly Enlightened
Lol.... wishing for a blackout so you can "officialy" use your toys... a true flashaholic.
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by rodmeister:
We just had a major 3 day rainstorm. According to the Los Angeles Times nearly 100,000 customers lost power in Southern California from several seconds to several HOURS. Why couldn't it be me?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It happened to me last week. 40,000 people lost power because of a snowstorm, and I wasn't one of them.
mad.gif
icon13.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
major storm heading my way this evening. It will be just my luck that the power wont go out until sometime after the sun comes up tomorrow;)

Oh well, I won't really be upset. I'm waiting till after I get my LGI! THEN I'll be excited for it.

When I was a kid I remember that I could count on the power going out several times during the rainy season in Chicago and a few times due to snow as well. Lately though it hasn't been as bad. I can't believe that the system has matured, so I must just live in better serviced areas...

hartage

Newly Enlightened
Lol I wonder what would be the ultimate torture for most people here? Hmm perhaps getting your LGI or other "super" light the day AFTER a major power outage?
grin.gif
I suppose I'd much rather have one flashaholic snap go to his work place and blind people with the latest LGI,lilpill,madmax (take your pick) over a gun nut snaping.
grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The storm was much diminished by the time it hit here. I've still got power
frown.gif

I did put in some rechargeables to top off when I got up this morning though.

There are more storms forecast for tomorrow night!

Zephyr

Enlightened
What?!?!? We had a blackout?!?! 100,000 Southern California customers lost power and my household wasn't one of them?!? My goodness!!!
wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
To take this off region for a moment, Ohio was one the states nailed by tornadoes and other thunderstorm damage yesterday (Sunday). A friend and I were sure we were going to lose power, but we didn't. In fact, our county (Richland) did not have any damage.

I did lose internet access for almost 24 hours. I have Roadrunner (Northeast Ohio region), and their servers got nailed by the storms. I also lost cable tv, except for Columbus, Ohio stations.

Ashland county, just east of Richland, got nailed by a tornado (not unusual for Asland county). Van Wert, Ohio, unfortunately got hit by an F4, as I am sure most have seen on the news by now. Ohio certainly wasn't the only state caught in this mess, nor the worst hit.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Torchaholism has its practical uses during a power outage.
You don't necessarily need a power outage to make use of or enjoy your torches, but you certainly make lots of friends during one.
The problem is, that most English households are ill prepared for power outages, as are most American households. We rely too much on the domestic mains for our everyday lives. In days of yore (not tht long ago, maybe in the 70's) people could survive wuite well in thier homes because gas appliances continued to work and many people had kerosene lamps, matches and a torch strategically placed so that they could be located rapidly in a power outage.
I remember as a child looking after our family's power outage kerosene lamp. I would check that it had sufficient fuel in it to last a night through, and that the wick was trimmed properly. Power outages were more common in those days due to industrial action and a severe energy crisis.
Perhaps we should educate the public today of the value of a strategically placed and well maintained torch!